Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Chatter    UK Postal Prices - HUGE Rise
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UK Postal Prices - HUGE Rise
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted
UK 1st Class post up from 46p to 60p (30% Rise)
UK 2nd Class post up from 36p to 50p (38% Rise)

Expect overseas post to rise as well.

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
UK 1st Class post up from 46p to 60p (30% Rise)
UK 2nd Class post up from 36p to 50p (38% Rise)

Expect overseas post to rise as well.

Great. I hope my TTM requests I sent out will have enough postage to come back to the states. I put 2.07 return on them but I don't remember how much they weighed.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The price rises don't come into force until April 30th, so you should be alright.

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
If you are going to send anything out of the country do it before the end of April.

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
There are similar hikes with their parcel service. Ouch! Eek

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Inevitable really after all the profitable postal services were handed over to the private sector. Six day a week deliveries to the entire UK will always be a loss making enterprise. They used to be subsidised by the profits from the rest of system. With that gone, the general public will just get priced out of the postal delivery market Frown Twak

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
Today is the last day to mail at the old prices.

The minimum airmail price for a small package to the US will be £3.30 ouch again! Twak

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
It will soon be cheaper to buy the cards than to trade for them. Big Grin

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:
Today is the last day to mail at the old prices.

The minimum airmail price for a small package to the US will be £3.30 ouch again! Twak
While that is true, there may actually be a plus side to the increase in the cost of First Class Mail. Compensation for lost or damaged stamped or franked items is currently set at the lesser of the value of the item or up to 100 x 1st Class Stamp, i.e. up to £46 at today's rate. I haven't been able to find anything on the Royal Mail's site that changes this, so it is possible that from Monday basic insurance cover will increase to £60 per item which could make a big difference as it means more items will be below the point where you have to send them using Airsure, or International Signed For to get the required additional insurance cover. I'll be looking to confirm this on Monday as the rules currently still refer to the old rates.

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
........and so the day has come. Shake Head

Next time you walk into the post office take smelling salts to revive you with when they tell you how much your package to the USA is going to be.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Card Dude
posted Hide Post
Hold on... does this mean posting one card in a toploader to America will cost £3.30?!

:O

Posts: 1117 | Location: UK | Registered: December 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Card Dude:
Hold on... does this mean posting one card in a toploader to America will cost £3.30?!

I think it will be cheaper if you send in an envelope but anything in a jiffy bag will be a small package

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is the new 'official' line from the Royal Mail website in their FAQ section:

"For stamped or franked items posted with Royal Mail which have no intrinsic value, or where a customer cannot provide evidence of posting, there will be compensation for loss, damage and delay of a minimum of 6 x 1st class stamps at the first weight step. In the event of a compensation claim for loss we will refund the postage paid or 6 x 1st class stamps at the first weight step, whichever is greater.

For lost or damaged stamped or franked items that have an intrinsic value, with evidence of posting with Royal Mail (such as a certificate of posting) and evidence of value (such as an invoice or receipt) customers will be entitled to a postage refund plus compensation for actual loss up to the value of the item, or £46, whichever is the lowest."

From which I take it the £46 maximum value is till in place Twak

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Airmail information is still awaiting a link. However, maximum compensation on basic Airsure and International Signed For is now £50. I'm pretty sure it used to be £46.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin F:
This is the new 'official' line from the Royal Mail website in their FAQ section:

"For stamped or franked items posted with Royal Mail which have no intrinsic value, or where a customer cannot provide evidence of posting, there will be compensation for loss, damage and delay of a minimum of 6 x 1st class stamps at the first weight step. In the event of a compensation claim for loss we will refund the postage paid or 6 x 1st class stamps at the first weight step, whichever is greater.

For lost or damaged stamped or franked items that have an intrinsic value, with evidence of posting with Royal Mail (such as a certificate of posting) and evidence of value (such as an invoice or receipt) customers will be entitled to a postage refund plus compensation for actual loss up to the value of the item, or £46, whichever is the lowest."

From which I take it the £46 maximum value is till in place Twak

NB: I was going to correct my 'till' typo, but somehow it seems quite approriate, so I'm leaving it Big Grin

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
quote:
Originally posted by Card Dude:

I think it will be cheaper if you send in an envelope but anything in a jiffy bag will be a small package

A small envelope (with a toploader) by Airmail letter will cost around £2, which is about twice as much as it was a few days ago. Anything of value will have to go small package.

NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
When I send my TTM requests I put £2.07 on the return envelope in case they put some extras in the envelope. There is a piece of cardboard so the envelope doesn't bend and usually like 5 4x6 pictures. I was told to write printed papers on the envelope. Am I still good with my postage?

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't bet on it.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Oh boy ! I just found a real killer amongst these latest price rises. Never mind the price of letters, large or otherwise. Just see what they've done to Standard Parcels. They have a fixed compensation limit of £46 with no option to pay a bit extra to increase it. In Plain English, any standard parcel worth more than £46 will have to go Special Delivery or it wont be adequately insured Frown Twak

I would appreciate it if someone could please prove me wrong on this one.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
It looks like Royal Mail only want certain types of business and are happy to give other business to rivals if they are offering what you want Kevin.