Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Chatter    UK Postal Prices - HUGE Rise
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

UK Postal Prices - HUGE Rise
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
quote:
Originally posted by Card Dude:
Hold on... does this mean posting one card in a toploader to America will cost £3.30?!

:O

I think it will be cheaper if you send in an envelope but anything in a jiffy bag will be a small package

A small envelope (with a toploader) by Airmail letter will cost around £2, which is about twice as much as it was a few days ago. Anything of value will have to go small package.

Still less than £3.30 Big Grin

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Sent a small packet of Promo's to Canada today - £3.30 Shake Head

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cardcollectors uk
posted Hide Post
Hi,
There are some brighter bits of the Post offices changes, if you purchased the 1st and 2nd class stamps before the rises, you can use them to defer the cost (I was only alerted to this thread today, sorry guys)
Also it's slightly cheaper to send 3/4 base sets/ 24 count boxes than it was.
Here's how it works for me:-
1-4 cards - letter £0.50p second class
5-30 cards - large letter £0.69p second class
31-80 cards - large letter £1.10 second class
80-300 cards - packet £2.20 second class.
So up to 30 cards and your stamps you bought pre- rise cost you the same.
Buying a single base set will cost you £1 more, but buying 3-4 base sets or a 24 count box will cost you a couple of pennies less.

Posts: 128 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
I purchased £50 worth of stamps before the price rise but sending to USA/Canada was always expensive now even more so!

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WarriorBabe
posted Hide Post
If I am trading 1-2 cards to US etc I will now send in an envelope, because it is alot cheaper than the £3.30 rate for using a small jiffy.

Posts: 1959 | Location: UK | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I just sent about 6 cards in an envelope to the USA. It was £1.90.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WarriorBabe
posted Hide Post
I sent some cards off in a normal envelope and it came to £1.28 which I was pleased with (+0.18 2011 prices). I reinforced the envelope edges with sellotape since I was worried about the weight of toploaders breaking the corners etc. Think I will stick to this method in the future!

Posts: 1959 | Location: UK | Registered: December 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
Nine cards in toploaders in a padded(bubble) envelope to the USA to be tracked and signed for...£7.53.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graham:
Nine cards in toploaders in a padded(bubble) envelope to the USA to be tracked and signed for...£7.53.
I take it they were pretty low value cards then as basic International Signed for only provides cover up to £50. It's an extra £2.60p for cover up to £500.

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
P.S. International Signed For is only partially tracked but is supposed to get a signature when delivered whereas Airsure is fully tracked but does not require a signature when delivered, though one is often taken.

Posts: 1528 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WarriorBabe
posted Hide Post
Royal Mail cannot guarantee full tracking once item leaves the UK, despite their literature. It is dependent on destination post office bothering to track.
I sent Airsure was and was so unimpressed I won't use it again. Didn't track past "handed to destinantion postal service". But I did find out from recipient it did reach them in Ohio!
Only way to get full 100% tracking is to use a courier or someone like Fedex which would be alot of money.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WarriorBabe:
I sent Airsure was and was so unimpressed I won't use it again. Didn't track past "handed to destinantion postal service". But I did find out from recipient it did reach them in Ohio!
Only way to get full 100% tracking is to use a courier or someone like Fedex which would be alot of money.
I get to track Airsure packages all the way to their destinations, certainly in the USA. The trick is to track them through USPS once they reach the States. I do the reverse with things sent from the States with tracking. USPS tracking on the US side, then Royal Mail/Parcel Force once it reaches the UK. Works every time so far Smile Got a package from the States sat in Customs right now with an Airsure going the other way somewhere over the Atlantic Ocean.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WarriorBabe
posted Hide Post
Ah I forgot that part. RM tracking ended with that, USPS tracked it once in NY and then nothing. I know Ohio is only a few states away but the trail ended in NY.