Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Chatter    Baseball Playoffs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Baseball Playoffs
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Headless Horseman
posted
I did not know that baseball was using the NFL Replacement refs last night. No matter how you try to interpret the "infield fly rule", it is wrong. The umpire did not call it right away and it was not a routine catch. From little league on up it is known that this call must be made immediately for the runners protection. Also, the left field umpire made the call, not the infield umpires. Not saying the Braves would have won, but you never know.

Somebody posted somewhere and I am not sure if it is accurate that this umpire lived closed to St. Louis(who knows).

Anyway, lets make some fearless predictions shall we:

Detroit 3 games Oakland 1 game
Baltimore 3 games, Yankees 1 game

Cincinnati 3 games, San Francisco 2 games
St. Louis 3 games, Washington 1 game

Posts: 1112 | Location: Freehold, NJ, USA | Registered: January 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
The call was made by one of the extra umpires positioned on the line, which is not even a regular position in a normal game. The ball was past the infield and in the short outfield when it landed. The Cardinal defense was not at all set as to who was to catch it and it was by no means a routine play. With all that the call was still made late, when the ball was or almost was on the ground. It should not have been called at all, but they wouldn't change it, so it goes down as umpire judgement, a catch-all excuse.

I'm with you for Detroit and Baltimore, mostly because I want them to win, but I think at least the Yankees will take it to 5 games. Detroit may have it easier because Oakland expended so much in getting here.

I don't really care for either Washington or San Francisco, but I would pick them to win. I also have a feeling that one or both will take it in three. There is always some team that makes it in, only to play terrible, and that could be St. Louis or Cincinnati.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Guess no one wants to play but you and me Headless, and we're both 50/50. Good thing we don't do this for a living. Big Grin

Will stick with Detroit and San Francisco, both in six.

Detroit to take it all in six. Just don't nobody bet on it. Wink

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Sorry, a little slow on the draw here.

I will pick Detroit in 5 and SF in 6 as well.

I can not pick the Yanks or the Cards!!!!

Posts: 1112 | Location: Freehold, NJ, USA | Registered: January 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Going with the Tigers in 6.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
We are in agreement, but I was impressed with the way the Giants came back. I had picked them to win, but when they needed three straight I thought it was over. Marco was outstanding.

Anyway, the Tigers might be a little slow starting because of the layoff waiting, but I think that the stack is now paying off and they are the better team.