Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Chatter    Hurricane Sandy
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hurricane Sandy
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Now we have four inches of wet snow. Can it get any worse? Confused

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
Now we have four inches of wet snow. Can it get any worse? Confused

Yeah, you can have an empty gas tank, a line six blocks long and four inches of snow.

I'm so glad all the agencies and all the officials think they are doing such a good job on our storm recovery, because I'd hate to see what a bad job looks like. Big Grin

Hang in there. Smile

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
I don't need gas yet so I feel for you Raven, that's horrible. Best of luck to you this is nothing like I have ever experienced before, except dinner with Headless last night! Big Grin

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Best of luck to you this is nothing like I have ever experienced before, except dinner with Headless last night! Big Grin

Now even I know that is BAD Big Grin

Posts: 12158 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Headless Horseman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
quote:
Best of luck to you this is nothing like I have ever experienced before, except dinner with Headless last night! Big Grin

Now even I know that is BAD Big Grin

At least I paid for dinner.

Thumb Up

Posts: 1112 | Location: Freehold, NJ, USA | Registered: January 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AWR
posted Hide Post
Im still without power (in Western NJ - Trees took out 5 - 6 telephone polls along my street - JCP&L are supposed to be there today working on them). Thank god for free internet at Starbucks.

Glad to see people and places getting back to normal after almost 2 weeks. No more lines for gas, and the sounds of generators is finnly dies down.

Posts: 382 | Location: Califon, NJ | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Headless Horseman
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't need gas yet so I feel for you Raven, that's horrible. Best of luck to you this is nothing like I have ever experienced before, except dinner with Headless last night! Big Grin

You were just mad because the weirdo next to you was going to take a bite of food right off your plate.

Eek

Posts: 1112 | Location: Freehold, NJ, USA | Registered: January 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AWR:
Im still without power (in Western NJ - Trees took out 5 - 6 telephone polls along my street - JCP&L are supposed to be there today working on them). Thank god for free internet at Starbucks.

Glad to see people and places getting back to normal after almost 2 weeks. No more lines for gas, and the sounds of generators is finnly dies down.

Happy to hear that things are getting better in NJ. I think your agencies and utilities did a much better job of handling the aftermate than NY, even though you had just as much or more damage.

After 2 weeks NYC just began gas rationing yesterday because the lines were incredible. Certain parts of the city are virtually wiped out, the Rockaways, Broad Channel, Breezy Point look like warzones. Con Ed can't restore power because sections are uninhabitable, only there are still families living there.

A lot of Long Island is still in the dark because LIPA can't get its act together, Cuomo is furious and will likely seek to get rid of LIPA.

I haven't had my garbage picked up in over a week. The Department of Sanitation is overwhelmed.

But its the gas mess that is effecting 100% of NYC and Long Island. We are lucky if 1 out of 4 stations is pumping gas at any time. This is not because of direct storm damage, may of the stations weren't in those areas. Its because the whole distribution system has broken down and the tankers are not refilling the stations fast enough. Whenever a delivery is made the station gets swamped and the gas is gone in a few hours. Not all the people are helping the situation either, many are foolishly hoarding gas cans. The odd/even days should help. I don't know why Cuomo didn't do it from the start like Christie. I think they just didn't want to acknowledge the magnitude of the problem.

I expect it will be weeks before the general non-damaged population can get back to normal here. By that time the holidays will be upon us and the sales will be way down because no one is wasting their gas on shopping right now. I don't think anyone thought the whole area would be this bad off so much later, but the people in the destroyed sections are not getting the aid either.

The only good thing is that most trains are now operating and bridges are open, so more people are getting to work. And Thursday's snowstorm amounted to nothing, so at least that's a blessing.

Posts: 10410 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Headless Horseman:

At least I paid for dinner.

Thumb Up

Now Now - Calm down Big Grin

Posts: 12158 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post