Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Chatter    Hurricane Sandy
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hurricane Sandy
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Headless Horseman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
High winds and driving rain right now and the worst won't hit until later today/tonight. I suspect power will be out in a couple of hours! Eek

Yes and my crazy brother is at the office today.

Shake Head

Posts: 1112 | Location: Freehold, NJ, USA | Registered: January 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
The problem is, this storm has not made landfall yet and except for the wind the impact in my area has been minimal. With all of the news coverage and many closures on Monday morning, its going to actually be late Monday/early Tuesday when we get hit with the brunt of Sandy, or so they say now.

The tide surges are going to put any property near rivers or inland waterways under water. New Jersey is getting more rain and New York is getting more wind if you believe the predictions, but the tidal surge will effect all areas in or near FMEA flood zones. Many people living in these areas have not evacuated because, despite all the warnings, the weather doesn't look that severe right now.

Honestly I have never seen a major hurricane or blizzard behave like this, it taking too long to get going. Everything's closed, everyone's prepared as much as they are going to be, let's get it over with already. Big Grin

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
let's get it over with already. Big Grin

Hear, hear. Couldn't agree me. It's driving me a bit batty already. Eek

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Seeing plenty of coverage on TV over here, hope the worst misses you all

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
stay safe everyone!
the wind is going from 40 - 60 up to 90 km.....

Did you know that in Canada the Hurricane wind status must be at 120 km/hr to be considered a hurricane.......

Posts: 4328 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Everyone around me has been losing power. So far just lost three trees in the backyard a couple minutes ago.

Eek

Posts: 1112 | Location: Freehold, NJ, USA | Registered: January 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Stay Safe - need a beer in May Smile

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kbmum
posted Hide Post
Wow, Atlantic City is underwater. The pictures are scary. Here in Massachusetts, it's been mostly wind from the hurricane part of the storm, but rain is supposed to be coming from the nor'easter part tonight. Even though my kids have been driving me nuts today, I hope they're home from school again tomorrow.

Posts: 1062 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
Stay Safe - need a beer in May Smile

If we survive, it is on Uncle Jason.

Big Grin

Of course, he sleeps over and doesn't bring enough beer for us.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
We are getting some wind damage by me. Lights are flashing a bit and my neighbor lost part of his roof. Funny thing is I don't where it landed, its too dark and rainy to see anything.

The water has flooded some parts of Manhattan and some parts of the subway are taking water. That is pretty much the worst case scenario for NYC. I don't know how long it will be before the winds let up, but I hope just a few more hours. I heard that part of the Atlantic City boardwalk washed away and Nassau/Suffolk counties are in bad shape.

I have not heard of any loss of life, so at least that is something to be thankful for.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kennywood:
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Byrne:

Did you know that in Canada the Hurricane wind status must be at 120 km/hr to be considered a hurricane.......

120 km/hr (metric) is the same as 75 mph (imperial). That's the same status as here in the U.S. to be considered a hurricane.

Good luck to everyone in Sandy's path. You're in our thought and prayers.

What I meant to say is that 90 is getting too close for comfort when it comes to hurricane status! Red Face

The winds are going crazy.... hoping it calms down a bit for tomorrow on uni campus!

Posts: 4328 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Seems the worst may be over still windy and some rain but nothing like earlier no power sucks but tomorrow should be better

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
Seems the worst may be over still windy and some rain but nothing like earlier no power sucks but tomorrow should be better

Good news - as long as everyone stayed safe Thumb Up

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
The damage has been massive. My area was very good. Blown away roofing and fences, some water in basements, haven't heard much worse than that, but NYC is terrible. No one expected that kind of flooding in lower Manhattan and the lights went off river to river for about 25%. I don't think Con Ed has the sub-stations up yet. Water poured into the World Trade site, a huge barge was thrown on land, NYU Hospital had to be evacuated because its back-up generater in the basement got flooded by 8 feet of water. Nearly all of the bridges and tunnels remain closed, along with most of the businesses.

And NJ and CT have their own problems. I guess this will take days and weeks to fix. Worse part is that some people are still cut off and we now know that there has been loss of life. Falling trees have killed and injured a number of people, I think we will hear more of that before all the news comes in. The storm is passed me now, but periods of wind and rain continue. Very bad feeling when you watch this stuff play out and there is nothing you can do about it. I was just at Comic Con on October 13 and that is part of the area flooded by the tidal surge. Crazy.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Where I'm at in NJ things weren't too bad. It was pretty windy but I don't know of any major damage locally. Did a quick walk around the neighborhood this morning, just a lot of branches and leaves everywhere.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
The damage has been massive. My area was very good. Blown away roofing and fences, some water in basements, haven't heard much worse than that, but NYC is terrible. No one expected that kind of flooding in lower Manhattan and the lights went off river to river for about 25%. I don't think Con Ed has the sub-stations up yet. Water poured into the World Trade site, a huge barge was thrown on land, NYU Hospital had to be evacuated because its back-up generater in the basement got flooded by 8 feet of water. Nearly all of the bridges and tunnels remain closed, along with most of the businesses.

And NJ and CT have their own problems. I guess this will take days and weeks to fix. Worse part is that some people are still cut off and we now know that there has been loss of life. Falling trees have killed and injured a number of people, I think we will hear more of that before all the news comes in. The storm is passed me now, but periods of wind and rain continue. Very bad feeling when you watch this stuff play out and there is nothing you can do about it. I was just at Comic Con on October 13 and that is part of the area flooded by the tidal surge. Crazy.

Do you live in NYC Raven?

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Electrawoman Cards f/k/a jane
posted Hide Post
Well, we came through it OK in Forest Hills for the most part. The rest of Queens wasn't so lucky. We have downed trees, but we didn't get the massive flooding. Our building shook and shook from those horrible winds last night. I thought our skylight was going to blow off the roof, it was scary. 90 mph winds reported in Jackson Heights, Queens and JFK Airport.

Posts: 3213 | Location: Queens NYC | Registered: September 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jessica
posted Hide Post
We were VERY lucky. Our power stayed on, no trees went down (which really surprised me), and we found only 2 windows leaking (which also surprised me as we have crappy windows). It was pretty scary. We had to give my dog some Xanax (prescribed to her) because she was freaking out so bad. Poor baby.

I must say, if we were living in our previous residence (we've only been here for 1 year), we would have flooded really bad. I am watching the news and it's amazing the damage that's occurring in that area.

We are lucky. I hope everyone out there is ok.

Posts: 1951 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland, USA | Registered: May 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
We were lucky here as well. Just a lot of down tree branches and leaves. The siding on the house across the street from me came off in the wind, which will be a pain for those homeowners. I never lost power though it did flicker on/off about 4 or 5 times. Very lucky and thankful. Glad to hear some others are lucky hear as well and just hope that those who have not reported back in are OK as well.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There was some minor damage to the front of my house but that's nothing compared to several of my neighbors who had most of the roof shingles blown off. Luckily we never lost power. There are plenty of trees down in my neighborhood but somehow they all fell away from the houses.
My mom who lives in northern NJ called earlier today to let me know there was no damage aside from no electric. I guess all the trees knocked down power lines. Hopefully their power doesn't stay out for too long. I'm hoping some of my friends in central NJ are ok.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Frederick, MD USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post