Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2016 NFL
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Headless Horseman:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Not sure what you mean by "they are being helped." They have moved into at least the decent team category for the first time in almost ten years.

I just meant that the breaks are going their way so far, which is what happens when you have a winning year. They are much improved, last year they would hang in until they would lose the critical play. This year they are getting the break from the other team or doing it themselves on the critical. I am not sold on them going too far however, you do need the elite QB in the current NFL, and I don't think Tannehill is there yet. The games will get bigger even before the playoffs.

Cousins looked great yesterday and the Cowboys might be for real. Greenbay's gone, too bad for the offense.

I'm looking forward to Steelers/Colts on Thanksgiving. I'm always disappointed with the games from Lions and Cowboys because it's usually one sided no matter who they play.

All 3 games on Thanksgiving have playoff implications, how can one complain about that? The Lions and Vikings are playing for first while the Cowboys/Redskins are also two possible playoff teams. The Cowboys can almost lock a spot up with a win here.

Luck might be out, so the night game could get ugly.[/QUOTE]

I was not complaining in the least about the importance of the current 3 games. What I said is pure fact, the Cowboys and the Lions have each played a game on Thanksgiving as far back as I can remember. The third night time game is a fairly recent addition.

What has happened in the past is that most of those Thanksgiving games, please note I said most and not every one, have been lopsided wins for whoever won. The Lions were lousy for a long time and the Cowboys were good for a long time, but even when fortunes shifted most games were not good to watch because they were blow outs. I like tight games, no matter who wins.

I hope all three will be close games this year, but history usually says otherwise. I blame it on the short week and because some teams don't play well on short preparation and small injuries still fresh from last weekend.

Posts: 10408 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, the Lions and Cowboys have been playing on Thanksgiving since at least the mid-70's.

Yeah, other than the Thanksgiving games, I am against having Thursday night games. The teams get less preparation and less time to recover from Sunday. We are not getting their best game but the NFL makes more money from the extra day. They should at least make it a Saturday game (but then that would compete with college sports). Also, with the Thursday night games every week I get less time to figure out my picks.

quote:

Cousins looked great yesterday and the Cowboys might be for real. Greenbay's gone, too bad for the offense.

I'm looking forward to Steelers/Colts on Thanksgiving. I'm always disappointed with the games from Lions and Cowboys because it's usually one sided no matter who they play.

All 3 games on Thanksgiving have playoff implications, how can one complain about that? The Lions and Vikings are playing for first while the Cowboys/Redskins are also two possible playoff teams. The Cowboys can almost lock a spot up with a win here.

Luck might be out, so the night game could get ugly.[/QUOTE]

I was not complaining in the least about the importance of the current 3 games. What I said is pure fact, the Cowboys and the Lions have each played a game on Thanksgiving as far back as I can remember. The third night time game is a fairly recent addition.

What has happened in the past is that most of those Thanksgiving games, please note I said most and not every one, have been lopsided wins for whoever won. The Lions were lousy for a long time and the Cowboys were good for a long time, but even when fortunes shifted most games were not good to watch because they were blow outs. I like tight games, no matter who wins.

I hope all three will be close games this year, but history usually says otherwise. I blame it on the short week and because some teams don't play well on short preparation and small injuries still fresh from last weekend.[/QUOTE]

Posts: 4393 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Yes, the Lions and Cowboys have been playing on Thanksgiving since at least the mid-70's.

Yeah, other than the Thanksgiving games, I am against having Thursday night games. The teams get less preparation and less time to recover from Sunday. We are not getting their best game but the NFL makes more money from the extra day. They should at least make it a Saturday game (but then that would compete with college sports). Also, with the Thursday night games every week I get less time to figure out my picks.
[/QUOTE]

Exactly, it's all about more revenue for the NFL and they don't care if short weeks hurt individual players and team standings.

Take Luck for example. He is now in concussion protocol and can't practice. If he had a Sunday game, maybe he could get cleared and be ready. As it is, he has to be cleared by tomorrow and they will try their best to run him out there. Concussion protocol is a joke anyway, just the NFL trying to act concerned, but if he does have a head injury he should not play. Only they have to make a quick decision because it's a short week. It's not fair to keep him out if he is alright and it's not fair to run him in if he just had a concussion and can really get injured. How do they know when the decision must come 3 days early?

Another thing that the NFL does all for revenue is the international games. Maybe people in Mexico and the UK like to see pro football in their countries. Yeah, I get that, but strictly thinking about the players, it's a great burden. Everybody's on the road, they are flying farther, everything is different as far as the stadium set up, people are eating different things, players are going to different places to hang out and the games are not exhibitions, they count for the regular season.

Sunday afternoon and night, Monday night and Thursday night games and international is just too much to ask. These players are getting tired, they are not up for every game and they are getting hurt. There are other reasons involved too, but the schedule alone can make or break some teams.

Posts: 10408 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:

Another thing that the NFL does all for revenue is the international games. Maybe people in Mexico and the UK like to see pro football in their countries. Yeah, I get that, but strictly thinking about the players, it's a great burden.

I don't see that east coast teams coming to the UK is any diffrent to them going to the west coast. As i understand it the teams that have come here have all said how much they enjoy it and want to come again, also i think i am right in saying that any nfl team can opt out of international games if they don't want to go.

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:

Another thing that the NFL does all for revenue is the international games. Maybe people in Mexico and the UK like to see pro football in their countries. Yeah, I get that, but strictly thinking about the players, it's a great burden.

I don't see that east coast teams coming to the UK is any diffrent to them going to the west coast. As i understand it the teams that have come here have all said how much they enjoy it and want to come again, also i think i am right in saying that any nfl team can opt out of international games if they don't want to go.

Without looking that up wolfie, I wouldn't know, but asking team management and asking the players is not really the same thing. What are they are going to say, they hate the place? They are being paid quite well to go where they are told.

I can't imagine that anyone would want to fly farther than they have to go to work in unfamiliar surroundings, but that is an assumption on my part. What I am talking about is the quality of play and the things that may hinder players from giving it their best. I absolutely believe that short weeks effect play. Less practice, less rest and less recovery time has to change the particular game.

As for the few international games, no doubt the NFL officials and team owners see international play as a rewarding idea, so don't worry, it's going to continue.

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I think you are probably correct that not getting a complete week to rest may well impact on the performance. I am alllways amazed by how few games they actually play, for a lot of teams 16 games over a few months and thats it, season over or in Cleveland about 3 weeks and the season is over. Big Grin

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It's definitely a longer flight - at least two hours longer. It's a lot worse for mid-west to west coast teams. Nobody likes a longer-than-usual flight. Any coach or player is going to dislike the change in the weekly routine. It's just one more variable to negatively affect team performance.

The NFL wants to find a successful way to spread out across the world even after "NFL Europe" didn't work out. The NFL pressures teams to participate in HBO's "Hard Knocks" show so I would assume teams are pressured to participate in the international games. Otherwise, you'd get Jacksonville vs Cleveland every year. The Jaguars are getting something out of that deal to play one of their home games in London every year for the next few years. Maybe the NFL covers at least some of their travel expenses.

Also, I would hate being a season ticket holder and find out I am paying for eight home games but getting only seven because one of them is in Mexico City or London. You know there's no discount for that.

quote:
quote:

Posts: 4393 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It's a brutal game. The NFL wants to expand to an 18-game season but no player wants that. There can be only more injuries and therefore more shortened careers. In the time I have watched football (since the early 70's) I have seen some defensive positions go from slow 250-pounders to 300-pounders with sprinter speed. Meanwhile, skulls, knee ligaments, and Achilles tendons haven't evolved to be noticeably stronger. Some players get season-ending injuries in practice.

quote:
I think you are probably correct that not getting a complete week to rest may well impact on the performance. I am alllways amazed by how few games they actually play, for a lot of teams 16 games over a few months and thats it, season over or in Cleveland about 3 weeks and the season is over. Big Grin

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
The Thanksgiving games turned out somewhat better than usual, although maybe for the wrong reasons.

I thought the Lions would beat the Vikings and it was a last minute win, but it wasn't a good game for most of it. It just plodded along with neither team doing much to win. The Lions have a great record for winning close games this year, but they make them close when they don't have to be. I think they are playing with fire.

I thought the Cowboys would win because the Redskins would be off in the short week. It was another close game, but it never really felt like the Redskins were in it, even though they were up to the last onside kick. It just didn't seem like it. The Cowboys are playing well, but it is concerning that they didn't seem to deliver a killer blow.

Last game shouldn't have been played. Three games on Thanksgiving, back-to back-to-back, is one game too much. They should have started the first game at 4 if they needed Thursday night football. Anyway, without Luck or much else, the game was a waste. The only truly good plays from the Colts were the fake punt and the following touch down throw. I think it was 14 to 7 then and I was hoping that the backup QB might have something. He didn't. The Steelers looked good, but it was more because the Colts looked bad. I don't know if either one of them will make the playoffs.

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
AaaRRGGGHHHHHHHHHH. Eek

I've got no fingernails left.

Dolphins win again. Clap Bouncey Dance

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So the NFL is now considering shutting down Thursday Night Football because of low ratings and poor quality of play.

Yeah that's what happens when you bring back teams on 3 days rest, they don't play well, but if the ratings were there they wouldn't care. Wink

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Oh well, there goes the season, Quarterback kaput. Shake Head

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oh well, there goes the season, Quarterback kaput. Shake Head

Don't give up too soon. Matt Moore is a veteran back-up QB, which is better than a rookie in the wings. They are playing the Jets, Bills and Patriots to end the season. The Jets stink and the Bills are not too good. They should win those games and the Patriots may not be playing all their stars by the last game either, so there is a slim chance even for that one. Not likely, but the Patriots may not be going all out.

Not saying the Dolphins will get to the Super Bowl, I never thought they would, but the playoffs are not out of the question just because Tannehill can't play.

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
HEY NO FAIR!!!! Frown

my Dolphins played allready and nobody told me. Big Grin

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Headless Horseman
posted Hide Post
quote:
HEY NO FAIR!!!! Frown

Obviously you are not a true fan than!!! Shake Head

Posts: 1112 | Location: Freehold, NJ, USA | Registered: January 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Headless Horseman:
quote:
HEY NO FAIR!!!! Frown

Obviously you are not a true fan than!!! Shake Head

Actually i just ignored it, the Jets are too easy. Big Grin

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
OMG!!! Eek

I have no nails left. Dolphins win in Buffalo. Clap Bouncey

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Dolphins are in the play-offs. Clap Bouncey Dance

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dolphins are in the play-offs. Clap Bouncey Dance

Told you so, interesting to see how hard the Dolphins and Patriots want to play this final week.

I'm happy the Steelers squeaked in. The Packers are still on the bubble, but I gave up on their season weeks back, so they have made a nice run of it. If they get in they should be tough because the offense is very good, but I have a bad feeling that they will fall short just because they have made such a nice last ditch effort and they still need luck to go their way.

I understand that the Broncos might be interested in picking up Tony Romo for next year. It worked with Peyton Manning, but it's a mistake with Romo unless they can guarantee protection from the offensive line. No matter how you slice it, Romo always gets hurt and that is why the Cowboys couldn't make it with him as QB.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So to the Super Bowl we go:

Wild Card -

Steelers beat Dolphins

Texans beat Raiders (hardest to call, they are both trashed)

Seahawks beat Lions

Packers beat Giants

Divisional - Wrong match ups after Wild Card, fixed on page 3

Patriots beat Steelers (sigh)

Chiefs beat Texans

Seahawks beat Cowboys (going for the choke)

Packers beat Falcons

Champions -

Chiefs beat Patriots (going for the upset)

Packers beat Seahawks

Super Bowl -

Packers beat Chiefs

Would not be at all surprised to see the Patriots win everything, but since its my guess I can send them home early. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,