Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Chatter    2021 NFL Season
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2021 NFL Season
 Login/Join

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

Hey wolfie, got your tickets yet?

Nope, Dolphins might as well go on holiday, the season is over already. Frown

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
That was a wild game last night. Baltimore was behind 22-3. Jackson got tripped up and lost lost yards, he fumbled the ball on the 1-yard line, and the team seemed out of sorts. The Colts had a couple of injuries and then Jackson came alive. The Ravens missed a 2-point try they didn't need to go for but they still tied it late and then won in overtime.

Yeah but not as wild as that Packers/Bengals game. I have never seen so many consecutive missed field goals from both team kickers. Has to be the record and you felt bad for both of them. If Crosby had missed #4 he would probably have crawled under the bench. Big Grin

But the TV channel I was watching cut away from the game just to bring on the next game, so I only saw the winning field goal later on.

KC has lost the magic. Maybe teams will play harder against them now. Dallas looks to be real this season and its nice that Matthew Stafford finally looks like he might live up to his potential now that he put the Lions in the rear view mirror, but the difference is that he is not getting sacked with the Rams. Give any pro QB enough time and they will all kill you. Wink

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Is your team in trouble?

Have they not won in years?

No idea when or if they will ever win again?

Don't despair, ring Miami 357-0800 and ask for the Dolphins.

We can put you back on the right track.

AAAAARRRRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! Twak

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
AAAAARRRRRRGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! Twak

What you need is a back-up favorite. Might I suggest another Florida team with the initials TB, that also happens to have a QB with the initials TB. Big Grin

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Enjoyed both nail biters yesterday, but felt bad for the losers.

Cowboys pulled it out over the Patriots, but I liked how rookie QB Jones was playing. Cowboys were the better team, but they are too nasty and those penalties should have cost them the game. Unless they are brought under control better teams will take advantage and they won't go far in any playoffs.

Steelers and Seahawks should have gone Seahawks, but Geno Smith continues to have the same bad luck that has always followed his career. He's not a bad QB, but bad things happen and when he gets a chance it slips away. Steelers won, but they don't look good and they won't make the playoffs this way.

Rodgers shouldn't be so cocky, but that's who he is.

I'm not sure the Giants will win another game this year. Even the Jets are trying harder.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Miami lost as time was expiring after getting back into the game and taking the lead. Seattle just lost. You can say they were too conservative but Geno Smith is not a consistent passer. The good news is that they beat the spread.

Meanwhile, Arizona is still undefeated and Detroit lost again but gave the Rams all they could handle.

Tennessee is playing well on both sides of the ball.

Baltimore can look like the best team in the league one week and then get routed the following week. Some of these teams are hard to pick.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Terrific Packers/Cardinals game with a stunning ending. Have to say Packers should have lost when they couldn't get into end zone on their last possession. Cardinals should have at least tied for OT, but it shows how hard it is to win when both teams are pretty equal and 2 or 3 plays are going to make the difference in the game. It's rare that such a shock comes on the last play though. See how well the Cardinals bounce back.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
What a week for upsets. Lots of underdogs came up and bite better teams. Even the Giants won. Its an indication that there are no dominant teams guaranteed to show up every week.

Of course the game I was looking forward to seeing was Packers/Chiefs, but that went in a different direction and it was kind of fun to listen to the game's commenters and pre/post game panels of former players/couches trying to fake shock and dismay over Aaron Rodgers. Big Grin

Whether Rodgers was evasive or flat out lied, I'm positive that his team and the league offices knew he wasn't vaccinated. They just had to ask for proof, but did they? Apparently not. So did they not figure that out? Sure they knew.

Rodgers has always followed the beat of his own drum and he is a pain when he wants to be. He may be the second best active QB in football, but his personality was never a role model. Just ask his estranged family or his string of ex-girlfriends. For me the most classless thing he did this year was to tell reporters in exhibition games that he was playing so much better now because he broke up with Danica Patrick and he was stress free. Even if he thought that was true, he should have shut his mouth and not add insult to injury to someone you said you loved. So basically that makes him an insensitive jerk as a relationship partner goes as far as I'm concerned, to put it mildly.

However there is that unfortunate thing about him still being able to get a Super Bowl win that, just like with Brady, keeps team ownership and the league in check. They were all behind Jordan Love to light up the night against Mahomes and the Chiefs. He didn't do it. He looked like an ordinary rookie QB in his first game who posed no threat at all. The Chiefs weren't strong. Mahomes has been off his game all year. If Rodgers was in, few would doubt that the Packers would have won.

That's the problem. That's why a lot of football officials and announcers are going to try to say the right thing while tap dancing around whatever nonsense Rodgers keeps spouting. They will put up with him as long as he wins and all their shock and dismay means nothing until he becomes more trouble than he is worth.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I couldn't believe the Jaguars beat the Bills and the score was 9-6. I didn't believe the Broncos beat the Cowboys. I was great that the Dolphins won. Maybe it's the start of a turnaround.

As for Rodgers, he's been getting away with his weird attitude because he increases the Packers chance to win every game. He couldn't play this week because of that attitude, not putting the team first, and the team lost. Was it a guarantee that they couldn't win? No, but he's the starting quarterback and he's supposed to be a leader, a role model. I guess he thought he was too special to get COVID too.

I thought all the dog-piling on Jordan Love was stupid. It was his first game and the team lost by only 6 points. He was one play away from a win.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
I thought all the dog-piling on Jordan Love was stupid. It was his first game and the team lost by only 6 points. He was one play away from a win.

Hey Jess,

That's not what I was hearing from the play-by-play guys Joe Buck and Troy Aikman or the esteemed panels of former stars. They all wanted Jordan Love to come out so good that he took away Rodgers starting job. And Love had to say in his interview that he was confident in his greatness, which I thought was also something he should have kept to himself, at least until after he actually did something. Wink

Anyway they were all rooting for Love because there is no love lost on Rodgers, pun intended. If the talking heads got upset with Love later, it was only because he didn't show his greatness and they are going to have to figure out how to keep praising Rodgers without seeming to agree with him. Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Well, Week 10 started out great with the Dolphins beating the Ravens 22-10. Sometimes, the Ravens look unbeatable, and other times, they appear to be dehydrated. The week ended with the 49ers beating up on the Rams. I didn't pick that.

I don't like the overtime rule allowing only a 10 minute 5th quarter. It should be the full 15 minutes and each team should get 3 timeouts. The shorter time increases the chance of the game ending in a tie. I know they want to decrease the chance of more injuries but they can do that by simply going back to sudden death - the first team that scores wins.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I thought Matthew Stafford was really going to break out as an elite QB with the Rams, but after a great start he is starting to show that it wasn't all the Lions that held him down. The Sunday Night Chiefs/Raiders game stunk. Packers/Seahawks was a real slugfest. Big Grin Jets White is headed back to backup.

I don't like ties at all. I'd make it both simple and more difficult to do. The team needs a touchdown in OT on any possession, no 65 yard field goals and no chance for opposing team to match. You play 15 minute quarters until someone finds the end zone. Players can get hurt at any time in a game. I think they are more worried about having games running into the next game's start time. Wink

I also hate OTs where you have a terrific game for the whole time and now it comes down to one kick, one player. No fan or player wants a tie. I hate the hockey and soccer shootouts where they are killing each other all game and now it comes down to one shooter and one goalie. Why did you bother with the game when all that counts is a 5 minute rotation? Roll Eyes

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Philadelphia, Washington, San Francisco, and Minnesota seem to getting better while Tampa Bay and Buffalo are no longer dominant though the Bucs should still win their division. Tennessee is slipping from contention after losing Travis Henry for the season. People are saying New England is back but they have beaten a lot of weak teams including two blowouts against the Jets.

Perhaps the greatest betting moment of the week (depending on who you bet on) involved the Steelers scoring 27 points in the 4th quarter against the Chargers. Yes, they still lost the game but they did beat the spread.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
No sports season goes by faster than football season. Week 12 ended with tonight's Seattle vs. Washington game. Russell Wilson's finger must still be bothering him because he was missing receivers all over the place. The weird thing is if Washington's kicker hadn't have gotten hurt, it probably would've gone into overtime. They got a touchdown and went for two (rather than risk it with an emergency kicker) and got it. Seattle managed to get a touchdown late but then they had to go for two to tie it. They didn't get it and ended up losing.

I was surprised the Giants beat the Eagles and the Bengals beat up on the Steelers. The Steelers used to beat them up.

I'm looking forward to that Patriots-Bills game next Monday night.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Detroit has been competitive in most of their games and they finally won the first game of the season yesterday leaving Minnesota looking like it's out of the playoff picture.

I was surprised Seattle beat San Francisco. The Seahawks had looked like they were on the decline and the 49ers had looked like they were on the rise.

Tonight, the Patriots beat the Bills in Buffalo on a cold and windy night. New England threw only three passes and proved they were tougher. I don't see the Bills being able to win division now.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Week 14 showed us four teams distinguishing themselves from the pack. It looks like New England and Kansas City are the two best teams in the AFC. Buffalo has faded. San Diego looks good but they're going to be too inexperienced to get to the AFC Championship.

Tampa Bay and Green Bay are the best of the NFC. Dallas, Arizona, and the L.A. Rams have good records but I don't think any of the three is going to be able to defeat either of the "Bays" in the playoffs. The surprise team to get to the NFC Championship could be San Francisco.

The bye weeks are over. Every team plays each of the last four weeks of the season.

The great betting moment (depending on what side you were on) this week was Tampa Bay covering the spread with the winning touchdown in overtime. They needed to win by 3 1/2 points so a field goal would have been a loser. Runner up: Baltimore lost 24-22 but scored 13 points in the 4th quarter to beat the 2 1/2 point spread.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Hey Jess,

I agree that Tampa and Green Bay look the best, but they both have had bad games and this idea that they can squander leads or make comebacks in the last possession with a minute 50 left is going to blow up on Brady or Rodgers. How about running away with the score or doing more in the other 58 minutes and 10 seconds. Receivers drop the ball, penalties happen. If they can ALWAYS score with 2 minutes left, why don't they score more in the game?

Don't forget about the AFC Chiefs. All of a sudden they are playing well and teams are playing dumb against them again.

Hard to talk about picking winning teams, let alone covering the spread in these times. From week to week you don't know what star is going to be sitting down just because of COVID protocols. And don't get me started about the instant replays. They are overturning calls on the field for things I don't even see from four camera angles in slow mo on three rotations.

I would never bet on these games, with or without points. It's bad enough to see your team lose because of some of this stuff without losing money on it too.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hey Raven,

Actually, Rodgers just needs 37 seconds, but yeah, there's no defense from a bad call. Just ask the Saints.

Yeah, the Chiefs look good. I picked them to beat the Chargers on a hunch but they got outplayed most of the game. It looked like the Chargers defense had tired by those last two drives. Kelce looked like a speedster on the winning touchdown.

Sometimes, the refs miss a clear face mask penalty and sometimes they call it when it just kind of looks like one. Sometimes, the quarterback can get an extra shove right after he passes the ball; other times it's a penalty. I'd like clarification on that.

Yeah, I don't usually bet on my team and certainly don't bet against them. I'm good at picking 49er games because I see them every week though I picked them to beat Seattle and they didn't and picked them to lose to Cincinnati and they didn't.

This week, the Browns had over 20 players test positive with COVID and they were still going to play yesterday until noon Friday when the game was postponed to Monday. Two other games were postponed to Tuesday because of outbreaks on the Rams and Washington team.

Meanwhile, the Colts beat the Patriots yesterday. I saw people picking the Colts but I thought the Patriots would win by 7. The Colts won, 27-17 with a long touchdown run late by Taylor to ice it. Is it my turn to say, "Colts Power."

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Hey Jess,

I agree that Tampa and Green Bay look the best, but they both have had bad games and this idea that they can squander leads or make comebacks in the last possession with a minute 50 left is going to blow up on Brady or Rodgers. How about running away with the score or doing more in the other 58 minutes and 10 seconds. Receivers drop the ball, penalties happen. If they can ALWAYS score with 2 minutes left, why don't they score more in the game?

Don't forget about the AFC Chiefs. All of a sudden they are playing well and teams are playing dumb against them again.

Hard to talk about picking winning teams, let alone covering the spread in these times. From week to week you don't know what star is going to be sitting down just because of COVID protocols. And don't get me started about the instant replays. They are overturning calls on the field for things I don't even see from four camera angles in slow mo on three rotations.

I would never bet on these games, with or without points. It's bad enough to see your team lose because of some of this stuff without losing money on it too.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Yeah, the Chiefs look good. I picked them to beat the Chargers on a hunch but they got outplayed most of the game. It looked like the Chargers defense had tired by those last two drives. Kelce looked like a speedster on the winning touchdown. Jess

Hey Jess,

Don't get me started on that game. Do you realize, and I'm sure you do, that the Chargers passed up 3 field goals trying for touchdowns they didn't get. Three field goals, nine points. Mahomes was throwing the ball into the ground all over the place. The game would have been over. Since when do you pass up easy field goals when your team isn't making the scores? Unbelievable. That is just giving it away, which teams seem to do when they play the Chiefs.

This weekend is a mess and shifting games to different days and then expecting to play on short days to keep the schedule is awful for players. The COVID protocols are falling apart. Now they won't test people unless they look sick. Well some people might think they were testing too much to begin with, but that was the rules they set. Like how Kyrie Irving can now come back and play for the Nets when they didn't want an unvaccinated part time player before. Once the thing starts to break down, all the BS goes out the window to keep it going. Big Grin

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
What is going on with these head coaches? The Packers beat the Ravens today solely because Harbaugh went for the two points to win the game, instead of the extra point to tie the game. If it had gone to OT, as any sensible head coach would have done, who knows who wins? Harbaugh did the same thing two weeks ago against the Steelers and also lost the game. Stupid once, stupider twice.

Meanwhile the slugfest of SNF went down 9 - 0 because Brady and Tampa Bay couldn't even score in that last famous minute. I walked away for most of the game, it was so exciting.

The only constant is that both the Jets and Giants lost again. And where is wolfie anyway. The Dolphins have won 6 in a row and might sneak into a Wild Card yet. Maybe he's afraid to break the spell. Big Grin