Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Chatter    Constructive Ideas and Criticism
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Constructive Ideas and Criticism
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted
Over the past year I have been putting my 20 year collection into photograph and database format.

Ever since I realized that my Casper Van Dien and Denise Richards auto cards would be a nice beginning to a StarShip Troopers cast, my collecting habits have always considered this type of project.

Currently I am working on over 50 films and have posted some my results into a public facebook page. I find the results place more of a focus on my personal collection and adds a bit of comprehension to my quirky little obsession.

If you don't mind it would be cool if some of you could take a look at it and maybe provide some ideas or design thoughts for such a project as it is still in the brainstorming stages. Cool

Thanks!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2116476485099075/

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Curses! Those look great! Now you are giving me ideas!
I am half way to a Better off Dead set!
I have the Green Book Set!
I have all but one of 13 Ghosts as well!

Seriously, I think your set ups look fantastic.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I tried to look. It may be a public page, but you still have to log on Facebook. Never had an account, never will. Smile

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Thanx for the positive review. :-) Been collecting with this sort of idea in mind for a long time but never felt I had enough to do much with it. Then all of a sudden I realized I actually had quite a bit!

Raven, try this. Just placed in an open share on my google photo section.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/qViEQqAAK26NS7XT6

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mykdude,

Posts: 4843 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Very, very creative!
You make even some bad movies look good!

And some good movies look even better!

I also avoid Facebook and social media sights like they are the Black Plague. Just a personal choice.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
You have some really tough auto cards mixed in there. I especially liked the group you gathered for IT and Tombstone because you had nearly all the main actors. It made me wonder why no card maker has ever gotten Sam Elliot to sign, a great actor still doing important roles.

I think the only group you made that used its own certifieds was The Nightmare Before Christmas. Off hand I couldn't recall anyone you missed that you could have found in the movies shown. Some of them, like 3000 Miles to Graceland and Mr. Brooks, I'm not very familiar with.

As long as you are able to put this much of an investment into it, I think this use of certified autograph cards is much more creative than just trying to complete a product checklist with meaningless short prints and fillers. Thanks for sharing it with us. Smile

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
You have some really tough auto cards mixed in there. I especially liked the group you gathered for IT and Tombstone because you had nearly all the main actors. It made me wonder why no card maker has ever gotten Sam Elliot to sign, a great actor still doing important roles.

Haha! Yeah....that is sort of the curse for this hobby. When I list out card release dates for some of these, it took 10 or 15 years to make the cast.

Yet, after being in the redundant sport world for a few years prior to, it was the thing that drew me to this hobby in the first place. Many unique paths must cross for a celebrity to sign a card.

Of course I am thankful for things like Americana and Pop Century for expediting the process a little bit. Smile

I do try to stay away from autos that have their own release title but there are a couple I love so much (Nightmare and ALIEN) that I just had to go for it.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
Very, very creative!
You make even some bad movies look good!

Although I want to try and stay away from the totally obscure, The movie and what is available in my collection need to find each other. Smile

Plus there is the goal of getting the lesser known autographs involved.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Do Near Dark.

Posts: 2198 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
Do Near Dark.

Ahh thank you sir! Was tracking that one awhile ago but needed a Pasdar. Just found one for $9 ;-)

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
It's a bit difficult to come up with individual movies where you can find most, if not all, of the main stars on certified cards. But you could also do bodies of work, like say you wanted John Carpenter or James Cameron or Tim Burton or Stephen King movies. By focusing on the director, or writer, or producer you might be able to link together a dozen or more actors that appeared, not in same film, but are linked by that other person's catalog of films.

For example you could lump actors from stuff like The Abyss, Titanic, Terminator, Aliens, Avatar, Dark Angel and True Lies, etc. all connected to Cameron. You could even use autograph cards coming directly from those titles, if they have been done, or you can go to cheaper autos if they cost too much, or the off title autos if they exist in anther product.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
It's a bit difficult to come up with individual movies where you can find most, if not all, of the main stars on certified cards. But you could also do bodies of work, like say you wanted John Carpenter or James Cameron or Tim Burton or Stephen King movies.

So far it has not been too difficult but that is because I have had a list of films in my mind for years. Obviously IMDB and Ebay searches are the equation functions most utilized.

I'm not sure I would want to go to such a wide scale but I think you have a good idea for something like sequel or series films. An example would be that I have cards from both Boondock Saints films. It seemed redundant to do one for each film with pretty much the same cards. If I combine the two I would just need to get creative on a background image that probably does not exist.

Still have not decided how I want to display the backs of the cards. Could do the same sort of layout but would want the card images larger for reading the smaller print.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It shouldn't be hard to add John Schuck (currently on ebay for $10) to M*A*S*H.

Forbidden Planet was 1956 - over 60 years ago. I'm surprised you can do such a good job with a movie that old.

Animal House might be a good one to work on. Stephen Furst, Mark Metcalf, Donald Sutherland, Karen Allen, and Bruce McGill are all available.

Posts: 2198 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Wow!! How did I miss Schuck?? Purchased and on its way. Thanx!

Forbidden Planet was one of my early ideas when the Twilight Zone releases dropped 3 of the actors into my collection and 6 million dollar man gave me Richard Anderson. It sort of set my goal standard of representing films of every decade since the 50's. Covering 70 years Smile I have autograph cards from 1940's actors but nothing significant as a cast I have yet to find.

I have Animal House on my radar. Still hoping maybe Tim Matheson will sign something.

Should have Near Dark ready sometime next week.

I do have a good sized group from the film Will Penny 1967 as well as Kelly's Heroes 1970

I have some rules to this and one of them is I can't use cut signatures where the card company purchased an item from a dealer and cut it up for a card. I can use cut sigs if it is part of the contract with the celebrity. (examples of this would be some of the stuff Americana released)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mykdude,

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
How did I miss that FORBIDDEN PLANET picture and autos!
Fantastic!
That's on my top 10 best movies of all time list.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Mykdude,

That is an incredibly creative use of autograph cards. Just from my own personal movie tastes, I liked the "Tombstone" and "Fury" ideas but my favorite was "Buckaroo Banzai." Now, there's a card set idea yet to be done. It is the 35th anniversary this year.

I saw "Convoy" on cable maybe two years after its release (when paid cable channels were just getting started). I don't remember the exact story but choosing that and others as projects tells me you aren't going for the predictable. Nice work.

Jess

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Looks like you could add CCH Pounder fairly cheaply to your Godzilla: King of the Monsters set.

And for Blade Runner, there's a not-cheap Sean Young available, and an M. Emmet Walsh that is somewhat more reasonable (I think he's also got a Fleer Wild Wild West card, but don't know how available or expensive it is.)

And to everyone who is not mykdude -- I had lunch with him last week, and in addition to being a creative collector, he's a nice guy to boot.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
Actually, I have M Emmet Walsh, I thought something was missing. Cool

Yeah...I have been watching the Young. It is a 1 of 1 so I guess if I have to justify it that way. But so far I can't pull the trigger.

I have about 10 more done but will wait until I hit 75 to re-post.

It was great having lunch with you too Bill. Thanx for bringing in your impressive autograph collection. It was fun to go through and see stuff from the days when I wasn't collecting.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
I saw "Convoy" on cable maybe two years after its release (when paid cable channels were just getting started). I don't remember the exact story but choosing that and others as projects tells me you aren't going for the predictable. Nice work.

Jess

Thanks Jess!

Actually what autos I have available in my collection tend to drive what movies I pick. Which makes the whole project even more interesting.

I am currently working on one with Pat Boone that I never thought I would do. Wink

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mykdude:
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
Do Near Dark.

Ahh thank you sir! Was tracking that one awhile ago but needed a Pasdar. Just found one for $9 ;-)

When I brought up "Near Dark" I was mostly just spouting off because it is such a great movie ("I fought for the South. We lost.")

I didn't realize how many of the principles have cards available -- Lance Henriksen, Jenette Goldstein, Bill Paxton, Adrian Pasdar, Tim Thomerson. James Cameron supposedly had a part as an extra.