Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Chatter    Hurricane Harvey
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hurricane Harvey
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted
I just wanted to wish any Card Talk readers in Texas and Louisiana all the best for your safety first and your property second. I'm sure you are not seeing this now, but I hope it won't be too long before life returns to some sense of normal.

I think the US as a whole is only beginning to understand how much destruction has gone on down there and how much is still going to go on in the days to come. The pictures coming in now are awful. Overseas I don't know if you know how bad the flooding has been and how many people have had to be rescued from their homes.

This is worse than Sandy, and worse than Katrina, because the storm has stalled and the rain won't stop and there is nowhere for the water to go in these areas. It is incredible when you realize that in modern, relatively urban areas, you can be cut off and on your own until help arrives.

I hope that everyone will donate to the Red Cross and other emergency relief organizations to aid these displaced people. Thoughts and prayers are good, but money is better. God Bless.

Posts: 10387 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
As someone who went through Katrina, one of the things that strikes me the most is the number of Louisiana and Mississippi residents who relocated to Houston to avoid this happening to them again.
One thing I have noticed from the news coverage is that there was somewhat of a better system in place to getting the aid/response teams out because of previous storms.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have a friend in Katy just west of Houston and just talked to him again yesterday. He's okay. In his neighborhood the water went right up to his doorstep but then the rain stopped and drained away quickly to his surprise given the local news. He had put a lot of his stuff in sealed tubs at least two feet off the floor. Some neighbors had minor problems with leaks and runoff but are truly thankful.

He also noted that a lot of people from Louisiana had moved into his area.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:
As someone who went through Katrina, one of the things that strikes me the most is the number of Louisiana and Mississippi residents who relocated to Houston to avoid this happening to them again.
One thing I have noticed from the news coverage is that there was somewhat of a better system in place to getting the aid/response teams out because of previous storms.

Posts: 4379 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post