Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Chatter    2014 NFL Season
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2014 NFL Season
 Login/Join

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Headless Horseman:

Win tonight or they go home Wolfie!!!!

Tonight is no problem, it's only the silly Jets. Big Grin

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
And they are starting the even sillier Gino Smith, so if the Fish lose they deserve it.

I am now an Eagles fan, so that should ensure their failure. Nevertheless the Jets really messed up Sanchez and I'm happy that he is doing better than they are.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So as predicted the Eagles are out and I am now a Steelers fan. Big Grin Not that I think they will win it all, I just hope they hang on a round or two.

Rex Ryan has been fired, don't let the door hit you on the way out. He will probably get a Head Couch position somewhere. Although he would be better as a defensive coordinator, he talks a good game for the owners and players. I feel sorry for the next poor city that has to watch his press conferences and listen to the world according to Rex, who still can't understand why his team hasn't won a Super Bowl. Could it be the 4 and 12 record? Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Another season done with and no play offs for the Dolphins. Frown

We actually won enough games to get in the play offs but somehow managed to lose a few of them before the clock ran out if you know what I mean.

We desperately need a line of very large people to protect the quarterback or next season will be just the same.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Just saw that John Fox and the Denver Broncos have agreed to part ways. I don't follow the team that closely, so I was somewhat surprised by this news. Granted, the Broncos looked very lackluster in yeterday's defeat, but a coach losing his job after making the playoffs? Wow ...

Posts: 1458 | Location: Prairieville, LA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
COLT POWER! Big Grin

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So Manning is now saying he has had a torn quad for a month. Romo's back was bad and Rogers is all banged up. Brady just looks old and can't seem to get started until mid 2nd quarter.

Wilson and Luck seem to be healthy and that may be all you need, a healthy young quarterback. If I were betting I would pick the Seahawks and the Colts. Since I'm not, I will root for the Packers and the Patriots.

As for the calls, there have been some highly questionable ones that were literally game changers. The refs are deciding some of these games and the whole slow-mo instant replay thing has gone way too far. When you invest in something for three hours and the most crucial play comes down to something that can not be seen by the human eye in real time, it's time to think of something better to do. Wink

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of stevetrek
posted Hide Post
There are so many commercials that I loose interest. On the other hand, being a Bears fan I loose interest quickly anyway.

Posts: 900 | Location: IL | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Cowboys just cheated out of the win, there was nothing wrong with the catch and completion and I can't for the life of me see how anybody can think the decision was correct.

silly refs. Twak

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Super Bowl is set, Seahawks and Patriots! I can't stand the two week wait.

Great game, but no way should the Seahawks have been allowed to come back. They were doing nothing and the Packers could have stuffed them in the first half, but couldn't finish in the red zone. Rodgers came back too, but the luck had already changed and I could feel that miffed on-side-kick coming before the ball was struck. Too bad, I like the Pack.

To my surprise the Patriots looked fantastic and the Colts might as well have stayed home. I don't know if the Colts just ran out of steam over the playoffs or if they just choked up, but I thought this was going to be the better match and it was a rout.

So, just looking at the way these two played and I suspect that the Seahawks may have more injuries, I have to go with the Patriots for the Super Bowl. I never liked them, but it looks like they will pull out everything for #4.

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
How in the wide wide world of sports did the Seahawks win that match. Eek

The Patriots just march on, the Colts were Power...less to do anything about it, Mr Bob will be in mourning. Frown

Is there anyway the Dolphins can move to another division? Big Grin

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Breaking Wolfie News.

New England Patriots under investigation for scoring more points than the Seattle Seahawks in the Superbowl.

The investigation has started now in order to save time after the event.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
New England Patriots under investigation for scoring more points than the Seattle Seahawks in the Superbowl.

Big Grin What I don't understand is that, if the Patriots deflated the footballs to make them easier to throw, why is that not the same advantage to both sides? Can't Luck throw it better too?

The Patriots are a dirty team who does everything to win. They didn't beat the Colts by cheating, they just beat them badly.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:

Big Grin What I don't understand is that, if the Patriots deflated the footballs to make them easier to throw, why is that not the same advantage to both sides? Can't Luck throw it better too?

The Patriots are a dirty team who does everything to win. They didn't beat the Colts by cheating, they just beat them badly.

Difference would be that The Patriots Practised with a deflated ball whilst Colts didn't, the adjustment wouldn't be easy in match conditions. Again doubt if that made the difference in the score but might have been relevant in a tight match.

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Well as it turns out Hammer, I misspoke a bit because I never heard about this part of the game. I thought that game footballs in the NFL followed the same rules as game baseballs in the MLB, which is that the refs put them in play for both sides. Apparently that is not the case in football.

The Patriots get to use 12 of their footballs when they are on offense. The Colts get to use 12 of their footballs when they are on offense. And there are a few extra spares that I guess neither side claims. Anyway, 11 of the 12 Patriot footballs weighted up light after the game and they are saying that made them easier to throw in the bad weather.

My take on this is that the NFL should have figured out long ago that you don't let teams play with their own footballs. You play with regulation balls controlled by the refs and no one can fool around with them. If the Patriots used this to their advantage I'm sure other teams have done it also. Change the rules, but the game is over and it wasn't even close.

Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
But... The refs handle the ball every down when the ball is spotted. So, I think there is some blame to go around if the refs couldn't see a difference between the balls being used by each team.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
But... The refs handle the ball every down when the ball is spotted. So, I think there is some blame to go around if the refs couldn't see a difference between the balls being used by each team.

Ed

Exactly right, and that is why the league is downplaying it for now. Either the refs should have noticed it, or the difference was too small to matter. Can't be both ways. Don't forget, a little air can come out of a football whenever a ball is spiked or hits the ground or gets crushed. I would think every football in game use winds up lighter in the end.

That doesn't mean Belichek and company didn't cheat. Going by past history they are not above breaking the rules, but it's up to the NFL to keep teams honest. I doubt that the Patriots are the only team smart enough to take advantage, if it really makes a difference, but the worse that will happen is a fine after the Super Bowl.

Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
well I've been following the NFL since about 1984 and I never knew that each team had it's own footballs, this is a complete surprise to me. I had allways assumed that there was just one ball and that was in play until someone threw it in the crowd or walked off with it and then they would get another one.

Letting teams be in charge of their own footballs just sounds like asking for trouble to me, I'm amazed this has not come up before.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Well as it turns out Hammer, I misspoke a bit because I never heard about this part of the game. I thought that game footballs in the NFL followed the same rules as game baseballs in the MLB, which is that the refs put them in play for both sides. Apparently that is not the case in football.

The Patriots get to use 12 of their footballs when they are on offense. The Colts get to use 12 of their footballs when they are on offense. And there are a few extra spares that I guess neither side claims. Anyway, 11 of the 12 Patriot footballs weighted up light after the game and they are saying that made them easier to throw in the bad weather.

My take on this is that the NFL should have figured out long ago that you don't let teams play with their own footballs. You play with regulation balls controlled by the refs and no one can fool around with them. If the Patriots used this to their advantage I'm sure other teams have done it also. Change the rules, but the game is over and it wasn't even close.

Either way it is underhand and assuming there is a minimum pressure for the ball the refs SHOULD be checking that all the balls are within the permitted pressure. Most other sports the ball would be in play and both sides would be playing with the same ball Football (proper), Rugby, Basketball etc so any incorrect pressure would be noticed. I hadn't realised that each side in American Football used their own footballs, but the officials should be checking!!!

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
They cheated and are scum. End of discussion. History of cheating is clear.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post