Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Chatter    SPOILERS. Dexter New Blood Coincidences and Plot Holes.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SPOILERS. Dexter New Blood Coincidences and Plot Holes.
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
posted
SPOILERS.

SPOILERS.

SPOILERS.

SPOILERS.

SPOILERS.

SPOILERS.

SPOILERS.

SPOILERS.

SPOILERS.

SPOILERS.

SPOILERS.

This is a continuation of the discussion started here: http://nonsportupdate.infopop....453/m/5337094876/p/5

Here are a few of the coincidences and plot holes that bugged me in Dexter: New Blood.

Angela makes the Jim Lindsay > Dexter Morgan connection through a series of extremely convenient coincidences. Kurt faked a hotel stay for his kid in New York where there coincidentally was a conference that Angela wanted to go to, where Angel -- who is from Miami -- just happened to be presenting and somehow Angel and Angela just happened to be having a drink together after the conference when Angel just happened to remember Harrison's name. . .

Then Angela confirmed her Dexter suspicion by googling something about the Bay Harbor Butcher and ketamine, but the Dexter never used ketamine in Miami.

Kurt's Goon shoots Dexter in the leg -- they spend half an episode on this as a plot point, but after that episode it is never mentioned again -- Dexter doesn't even limp.

There is no reason at all for Dexter to kill Coach and escape jail at the end. Coach had already said Dexter's explanation that Kurt was trying to frame him was plausible -- and that was before the cops had any evidence that Kurt started the fire and before the cops knew Kurt was a serial killer. Dexter knew there was huge amounts of evidence that would expose Kurt as a monster, and Dexter's story would go from plausible to credible within minutes from when the unnecessary killing happened.

The famous podcaster disappeared and no one noticed.

Dexter hung on to the screw -- the only evidence linking him to the crime -- and then how convenient is it that the police chief walks in to the rubble and reaches down and picks up a single screw -- the only piece of evidence that exists.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
SPOILERS.

SPOILERS.

SPOILERS.

SPOILERS.

SPOILERS.

SPOILERS.

SPOILERS.

SPOILERS.

SPOILERS.

SPOILERS.

SPOILERS.

This is a continuation of the discussion started here: http://nonsportupdate.infopop....453/m/5337094876/p/5

There is no reason at all for Dexter to kill Coach and escape jail at the end. Coach had already said Dexter's explanation that Kurt was trying to frame him was plausible -- and that was before the cops had any evidence that Kurt started the fire and before the cops knew Kurt was a serial killer. Dexter knew there was huge amounts of evidence that would expose Kurt as a monster, and Dexter's story would go from plausible to credible within minutes from when the unnecessary killing happened.

Surely by then Angela knew he was Dexter Morgan and he knew things were catching up on him

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
Surely by then Angela knew he was Dexter Morgan and he knew things were catching up on him

He had already admitted to her that he was Dexter. She was trying to pin the Bay Harbor Butcher killings on him, but there was no direct evidence, and it seems like that was already a closed case.

It's not like there was an arrest warrant out for Dexter -- just some people in Miami were suspicious -- but they already had Doakes for those killings.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:

He had already admitted to her that he was Dexter. She was trying to pin the Bay Harbor Butcher killings on him, but there was no direct evidence, and it seems like that was already a closed case.

It's not like there was an arrest warrant out for Dexter -- just some people in Miami were suspicious -- but they already had Doakes for those killings.

Angel had told Angela that Laguerta had never thought Doakes had committed the crimes, everyone assumed Dexter was dead. Just goes to show, you can watch a show and get different things from it.

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Curler
posted Hide Post
I watched the series last month, and I enjoyed it.

I thought Julia Jones was good in the series. Now I want to add her Mandalorian autograph to my collection.

Posts: 381 | Location: Nova Scotia | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of mykdude
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curler:
Now I want to add her Mandalorian autograph to my collection.

If she would only sign for the redemption card I have in!

Posts: 4849 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I can't comment on New Blood because I'm still waiting to watch it. From what I understand the producers are saying it's the final, final ending. Although I'm sure that would probably depend on the value of any future offers. Wink

I did watch a good portion of the original series, until Season 5 anyway, and I saw all of Killing Eve. Killing Eve is of course quite a different plot, but it's main character is still a psychopathic killer who enjoys her contract work more than a sane person would. The character of Hannibal in another series might also be broadly compared.

Dexter started off as a serial killer that you could like because his "code" made him seek out his victims from "worse" people. His story as it progressed ran into trouble when we started to see too much of his rituals and he started to kill innocents to keep his secrets.

Hannibal also had his gimmicks for awhile and was so smart in getting his way that it could be considered a black comedy. However the nastiness and the gore also ratcheted up and as an anti-hero he also quickly became hard to watch, as least for me. I did not make it to the series final episode.

With Killing Eve, Villanelle never had a period where we didn't know she would kill anything that moved. It was the Eve character who evolved far away from what we as viewers thought we would see from the beginning. For those who haven't followed this one, the Season 4 ending of the entire series has been roundly panned by everyone, just as Dexter's finish was a huge letdown.

I won't put in the Killing Eve spoiler, just that I didn't like it anymore than anyone else and I keep wondering why I just don't watch the first season of anything and then not waste my time with the others. They all seem to disappoint.

Yet in a way what else could there be when the main characters are so reprehensible, and you are supposed to find some reason to care about them? By continuing the story, the writers have to go down the rabbit hole to try to top the last arc, and when they do they inevitably destroy everything that came before.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post