Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Chatter    COVID-19 & Card Collecting
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

COVID-19 & Card Collecting
 Login/Join

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Kennywood
posted
How has COVID-19 affected your card collecting?

For me, I'm doing quite a few trades, which is a lot of fun. The biggest thing for me, though, is that I'm actually able to get things organized. I'm finding things I'd forgotten I had.

I was recently able to get a big, solid bookcase, which has been immensely useful. I now have a dedicated area for all of my promo binders as well as the binders for current sets on which I'm working. That alone has been a huge help in getting organized. But, with the COVID-19 "stay at home" directives, I have time to focus on my collection.

Posts: 7361 | Location: the wonderful state of Denial | Registered: January 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Stopped it cold.

I have ordered boxes of GoT Season 8 stuck in a closed hobby store. At least I think so. They were supposed to arrive the end of the week that all non-essential businesses closed down. I'll find out eventually.

Going to the Post Office unless necessary is foolish. The regular mail delivery is spotty. Many mail carriers are calling in sick or just are afraid to be out. Getting your money at the Bank is practically ATM only, if the branch is still operating, because even ATMs have to be replenished and serviced.

I had gone through a big revamping and clean out of my autographed cards last year. Wish now that I hadn't, as it would keep me busy. Too much bombardment of negative news from all quarters for anyone to enjoy anything.

Something is going to give one way or the other, because the consequences of this almost total shut down can't last past April or there will be civil unrest. Just MHO, but its bad here and the people have been exceptionally good so far.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Raven,

There's one more thing I'm thinking of buying I might have to let it go. I'm planning on holding off on buying other cards for a while.

I'm avoiding the post office too. We're still getting the mail every day.

The local banks have reduced their hours but they are still open.

The grocery stores are doing a good job restocking unless you're looking for toilet paper, alcohol, hand sanitizer, and odd stuff like pinto beans and mild sausages. It's been hit-or-miss with things like tissues, paper towels, chicken, rice, and soap. The stores have started blocking off entrances/exits so that there's only one way in or out. They should keep them open to maintain fresh air flow and to keep people from converging on one point.

We've been sheltering in place for almost three weeks now. It appears to be working. We have more cases but it's nothing like New York. I don't see the order getting lifted before June. There don't seem to be many people stealing. Those that are doing it are stealing stupid stuff like energy drinks so we don't appear to be on the verge of civil unrest.

I watch a lot of news including Cuomo's press conferences. His brother, Chris, on CNN caught the virus and is in the early days of it. I hope you, other New Yorkers, and the rest of us start getting some good news soon.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Stopped it cold.

I have ordered boxes of GoT Season 8 stuck in a closed hobby store. At least I think so. They were supposed to arrive the end of the week that all non-essential businesses closed down. I'll find out eventually.

Going to the Post Office unless necessary is foolish. The regular mail delivery is spotty. Many mail carriers are calling in sick or just are afraid to be out. Getting your money at the Bank is practically ATM only, if the branch is still operating, because even ATMs have to be replenished and serviced.

I had gone through a big revamping and clean out of my autographed cards last year. Wish now that I hadn't, as it would keep me busy. Too much bombardment of negative news from all quarters for anyone to enjoy anything.

Something is going to give one way or the other, because the consequences of this almost total shut down can't last past April or there will be civil unrest. Just MHO, but its bad here and the people have been exceptionally good so far.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Hey Jess,

Everyone's been behaving very well here. Crime has nosedived since no one is on the streets. Big Grin It's not that.

People outside effected areas think essential services are working. They are not.

Most Dentist offices are closed. Doctor offices won't take you. You can't get a haircut. Utilities have cancelled appointments and will only do emergency work. You can't get a plumber or electrician to come to your house. Verizon and Spectrum won't do set-ups. Banks have stopped mortgage closings and taking new loan applications. All schools are closed. All daycare is closed. Something like 9M New Yorkers have applied for unemployment in the last 2 weeks and many more can't get through on the website. Most restaurants closed rather than do take out. Laundromats closed even though they could stay open. Funerals can't be conducted. All public playgrounds have deen padlocked. The list goes on and on.

And the hospitals have been overrun to the point that you can't go to them or Urgent Care, even though you have something else.

Yeah it's only about 3 weeks since the big PAUSE, but it doesn't take a genius to see that the situation can't go on for months no matter what the City or State government wants. I think that's why they are predicting next week to be the peak here. I just hope they don't get anywhere near the numbers of deaths they are throwing about. There is so much misinformation and competing experts, nobody knows what will happen until it does.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It was announced yesterday that Santa Clara County, CA will be under a modified stay-at-home order as of 10pm tomorrow. Local hospital ICU's are 85% full of COVID-19 patients. Restaurants will be allowed to do take-out and delivery only. Retail stores will have to cut down on room capacity.

I had to cut back on buying a couple of months ago and I wasn't exactly making it rain for anyone before. This year, I filled in some spots in old sets and crossed off a couple of promos from the want list, picking up some cheap singles and lots mostly.

Jess

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Nothing has changed for me. I am still buying loads of stuff which is arriving no problem and i am still selling a few things which i take to the post office with no problem so all is good. Smile

Posts: 28998 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'm getting all my cards vaccinated as soon as possible. They look funny with masks on.

Posts: 2198 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Mhoponhop was giving out a card earlier this year with artwork that had the bunnies wearing masks.

Jess

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Mhoponhop was giving out a card earlier this year with artwork that had the bunnies wearing masks.

Jess

and here is the image of the front of the card:-

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
I haven't been to a card/toy show in about a year. Massachusetts was hit hard and had a big lock-down. And here in Rhode Island...same thing, but we never had card shows of any significance anyway.
But I have been doing some trading, especially with overseas [Denmark, Ireland, & UK] gift card collectors, Disney collectors, and Star Wars 501st card collectors. Which is fun and the people are great.
I even contacted about 85 North American airports for their cards, via their FB pages or directly on their web pages, over the past couple of month. I've heard back from about 90% of the airports which I count as very successful, especially since Covid is still a concern.

Posts: 1319 | Location: Rhode Island USA 02889 | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I was doing it the hard way, only picking up cards at the participating airports I went through. Unfortunately, the information desks are not staffed early in the morning nor late at night so I missed out on few that way. I got skunked in Salt Late City's airport. I found an information desk but nobody was there during my 1-2 hour wait between flights. I'd have hardly any of those cards but Stevetrek was very generous in a trade we did, sending me a pile of different ones.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
I haven't been to a card/toy show in about a year. Massachusetts was hit hard and had a big lock-down. And here in Rhode Island...same thing, but we never had card shows of any significance anyway.
But I have been doing some trading, especially with overseas [Denmark, Ireland, & UK] gift card collectors, Disney collectors, and Star Wars 501st card collectors. Which is fun and the people are great.
I even contacted about 85 North American airports for their cards, via their FB pages or directly on their web pages, over the past couple of month. I've heard back from about 90% of the airports which I count as very successful, especially since Covid is still a concern.