Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Chatter    Carrying on a legacy
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carrying on a legacy
 Login/Join

Picture of young silverback
posted
Hello my name is Joseph Harris. it has been a while since i have been on. it has taken me two years to get over the emotional attachment i had in regards to the trading card community and my father. most commonly known on here as "Silver Back". He not only was the one who got me interested in non-sports cards but also mentored me and really drove me towards them. My hope now is to take off were he left off. I humbly ask for any pointers as to what is new and whats hot of late. We buried most of his collection with him as i know he would have wanted them with him even in death. My goal now is to start my own collection and carry on this great and awesome hobby. I would appreciate any input at this point as i don't know were to start. Thank you.

Young Silverback

Posts: 19 | Location: illinois | Registered: March 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Welcome back Wave

Posts: 2604 | Location: Canada | Registered: April 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
that would be awesome. unfortunately at this time its not financially available for me. I did goto one years back with silverback. it was a whole lot of fun. Thank you for your suggestions Smile

Posts: 19 | Location: illinois | Registered: March 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
Hey Joseph!

Good to see you're ready to test the waters. I understand the connection with trading cards made it difficult until you were really ready to give it a shot. I counted your father as one of my friends and a customer, but mostly a friend.

Sorry you won't be able to make the Chicago show. Hopefully things will change in the future and you'll be able to join us. I do recommend going to the show website ( www.nonsportcardshows.com ) and signing up for the mailing list so you're kept in the loop for future shows.

Hard to say how your collecting should take shape, as that's a personal matter and it varies with everyone. If the budget dictates moderation, think of collecting just base sets for awhile. Or even promo cards. Rittenhouse has free offers all the time and that's a start. If you decide you really like a base set, then chip away at the rest of it as time and resources allow.

Remember, there is no wrong way to collect. Collect what you like, and you'll always like your collection.

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Ed Smile
just wanted you to know he considered you just as much a friend as well. he spoke very often of you. and many others on here. He actually told me days before his passing if i were to stay into card collecting you were one of the ones i should look up. he always found your prices to be fair and that you knew your stuff. thank you very much for the advice. Smokin'