Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spring
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted
1st day of Spring in the Southern Hemisphere
Guess What
It is no different to the last day of Winter

Posts: 760 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
We're heading into autumn on this side but September can be a hot month in my area and it's supposed to be in the low-mid 90's (32-36 degrees Celsius) for a few days around Labor Day (this Monday). That might be a good day to look through some cards.

quote:
Originally posted by piko:
Guess What
It is no different to the last day of Winter

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Summer is (supposedly) over here also, but it's going to be 90 degrees Saturday.
A few days ago high winds blew (another) tree over in my yard. If it would have fallen in the opposite direction than it had, it would have taken out the electrical wires to my and my neighbor's house. It was a dead pine tree, my responsibility. I am now cutting it up without a chain saw. I HATE making unnecessary outside noises. As soon as the neighbor revs up his leaf blower, I quit working and go back inside the house where I dry-wash my hands together and salivate over my card collection.

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:

Why don't the seasons change on the solstices, like the rest of the world?

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
"Meteorological" fall starts September 1st and ends November 30th. I thought it was based on some change in ocean currents/temperature or something else weather-related that happens in advance of an equinox/solstice but it seems to be just a different way of breaking up the year. Astronomical fall makes more sense since it starts on the autumnal equinox though some parts of the world get cooler weather earlier than others.

In recent years we have had 80-degree days right into mid-November and it doesn't rain until after that. The 80-degree days used to end in early October and we used to worry about rain ruining Halloween.

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
quote:

Why don't the seasons change on the solstices, like the rest of the world?

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
In recent years we have had 80-degree days right into mid-November and it doesn't rain until after that. The 80-degree days used to end in early October and we used to worry about rain ruining Halloween.

I'm on the other Coast, but the same thing has happened in the last few years. The seasons are delayed from what were the accepted dates. The Winters are starting later and extending longer into the Spring months. Summer weather is going to late September and the Fall weather is short lived. The climate has changed and I don't think four seasons really work anymore, no matter the science.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post