Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  Chatter    2022 NFL Season
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

2022 NFL Season
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I thought it was going to be the Bills season this year but it appears the loss of Brian Dabol, now the head coach of the Giants, had a negative effect on Josh Allen's playy this year. He was more undisciplined this year, throwing more interceptions and some of them were rookie-type mistakes - not good for a 5th year player.

Kansas City was supposed to slide in the standings but they got even better. They lost to the Bills during the season but beat Cincinnati in the championship game and then beat the slightly-favored Eagles in the Super Bowl even with Mahomes playing with a taped-up wheel that got hit again during the game. I was bummed out that I missed virtually the whole game due to work but I saw the highlights when I got home. I saw the Eagles take the lead 21-14 and then they were driving just before the half when I had to go back to work. It didn't look good for the Chiefs so it was a bit of a surprise hearing they won when I switched to the sports station on my way home. Mahomes is already a legendary quarterback now.

I saw the weird revamp of the Pro Bowl with the flag football games and the other events but what else would they do? Tackle football at that level is just too dangerous to play as an exhibition game now. You have 300-pound dudes with sprinter speed flying at you or some 350-pound guy landing on you. The NFL pushed and got a 17-game season and they will still push for 18 even a team like the 49ers forced to go with a 4th-string quarterback by playoff time. They ended up needing a 5th. I think a lot of teams are going to have to have three quarterbacks. I think all the teams had that many in the 70's.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
I saw the weird revamp of the Pro Bowl with the flag football games and the other events but what else would they do? Tackle football at that level is just too dangerous to play as an exhibition game now. You have 300-pound dudes with sprinter speed flying at you or some 350-pound guy landing on you. The NFL pushed and got a 17-game season and they will still push for 18 even a team like the 49ers forced to go with a 4th-string quarterback by playoff time. They ended up needing a 5th. I think a lot of teams are going to have to have three quarterbacks. I think all the teams had that many in the 70's.

I don't get the flag football thing. It's like a game of tag. If that's the best solution you got, just forget the whole thing.

I would love to see a pro football team do a rotating quarterback. Have a good pocket thrower, a good scrambler, a good runner. Change your QB based on the team you're playing or even change between downs based on the play to be run. If you can switch out everyone at other positions, why must you have only #1 QB, who changes only when injured?

It's the image and the money and the game plan, but really, wouldn't it be radical to be a team with multiple starting and ending QBs?

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Headless Horseman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:

I don't get the flag football thing. It's like a game of tag. If that's the best solution you got, just forget the whole thing.

I would love to see a pro football team do a rotating quarterback. Have a good pocket thrower, a good scrambler, a good runner. Change your QB based on the team you're playing or even change between downs based on the play to be run. If you can switch out everyone at other positions, why must you have only #1 QB, who changes only when injured?

It's the image and the money and the game plan, but really, wouldn't it be radical to be a team with multiple starting and ending QBs?

That is done by teams that do not have an elite quarterback. The Dolphins did this in the early 1980's with David Woodley and Don Strock. Not a good choice for an NFL team to do that. How is that working out with the Saints with Taysom Hill?

Posts: 1112 | Location: Freehold, NJ, USA | Registered: January 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Headless Horseman:
That is done by teams that do not have an elite quarterback. The Dolphins did this in the early 1980's with David Woodley and Don Strock. Not a good choice for an NFL team to do that. How is that working out with the Saints with Taysom Hill?

David Woodley, Don Strock, Taysom Hill. who dey?

No, you need to try it with good solid QBs as a game plan to see how well it might work. If it's done out of desperation because you have no one good enough to be the QB, then it won't help. The QB ego is such that everybody wants to start, so maybe it is a bad idea, but I don't think any good team has seriously tried it. It might keep the other team guessing if nothing else.

It's like when certain teams try to run the "wild cat". They bring in a player to replace the QB for a down, but he's mainly a runner and everyone knows he will take the direct snap and try to run. Nine out of ten times, that's exactly what he does, and the play rarely gets very far because it's no surprise to anyone.

They need to alternate styles that throw off the defense, not just set plays for set players who don't know how to do anything else. Putting two or three mediocre players together will never get you one good one. Wink

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post