Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
Find
Notify
Tools
Open That Box Day 2008
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of venom5liter
posted Hide Post
I picked up a box of Spider-Man 3 at the CECE show to save for OTB Day.

2 Base Sets
2 Autographs Bruce Campbell, Larry Joshua
1 Goblin G2
1 Sandman S5
1 Spider-Man Black B5
1 Spider-Man Red/Blue R5
1 Venom V3

Needed all but 1 insert so it was a great break for me.

Trade List | Want List | NonSport Collection | Wrestling Collection | Facebook

Posts: 1857 | Location: Sugar Grove, IL, United States | Registered: October 02, 2002Report This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of batmancity
posted Hide Post
hi there !

Finally, OTB 2008 is here ! My fiancé and I were expecting this day for the 3d time now with some exciting boxes to open.
I managed to get my hand on 4 boxes of Indiana Jones Heritage (from 2 dealers) and 1 box of Shrek the Third.

Whoa, what a nice view, I wish I could have this more often....

Adeline is ready to open this one...

Just like our cat, Baci....

We opened all 4 boxes in a row and that was one very exciting and fun moment ! We were anxious to get a nice sketch or autograph from the series. Overall, this card set is really well done with the retro look and feel. Gum was definitely an extra and that smell was so nice...Basic set is gorgeous and in my opinion, all chase and insert cards are a bonus (given the good price I had on those boxes)

Out of 4 boxes, we managed to get 3 complete base sets and 1 missing a couple of cards. We had 4 paralell cards and 3 autos (I couldn't remember who these guys were in the movies to be quite honest) and finally we got a very very nice sketch card from Sean Pence with the Grail Knight. Magnifique !!

As for Shrek, that was a very nice done set from Inkworks. Lots of fun, funny scratch & stink cards...3 complete base sets and some xtras. Definitely a good moment and we had a Piggy sketch (not pictured here) !!

Overall, once again another great day, wish it was like that every day :-)

Have fun and good luck in your pulls !

Posts: 597 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: May 24, 2002Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of justm
posted Hide Post
Hi everyone - hope you're all having a great OTBD 2008.

I'm away at the moment, on the Suffolk/Norfolk border in the UK and quite a day it's been already.
I've been to 3 breweries Thumb Up , seen a sheepdog rounding-up geese and ducks, and met K9 !!!

I took away with us a box of Robots the Movie hobby cards to open, and we've just finished so I thought I'd post my breakdown.

1 base set (maybe 2)
Rusties To The Rescue: RR2 RR3 RR4
Fender Bender: FB5 FB6
Postcards from The Big City: PC2 PC3
and
Sketch Card: Rodney Copperbottom by Darren Auck (456/500)

To think I've had this great sketch tucked away for nearly a year waiting for today makes it all the sweeter!

Thanks NSU for organising this! It's great fun joining in a mass box opening of lots of different releases on a global scale, finding out what folks had stored away and celebrating some great pulls.

Going off to sample some of my purchases Wink

Enjoy the day everyone !!!

Posts: 1723 | Location: Brentwood-Essex-UK | Registered: April 12, 2007Report This Post
Picture of THX2112
posted Hide Post
As a "charter member" of OTB Day, I found myself in a pickle when I woke up this morning. I recently donated some money to a charity which ended up coming out of my rainy-day fund. I would have purchased a box with the money from this fund, but alas, the "well is dry" due to the donation (hence the pickle).

Since I've been collecting Non-Sport cards (2000) I've managed to hold back at least one unopened pack from every set. If there are different wrapper types (images, hobby, retail, etc), then I make sure I collect one of each and keep the unopened packs with my sets.

Well, in the spirit of OTB Day (having fun, being adventurous and breaking through the bonds of anticipation) I decided to bite the bullet and open all of my unopened packs from the sets I've collected. I opened a total of 40 packs (the equivalent of one box...Hee! Hee!).

Although I didn't really pull anything spectacular I had a BLAST and found myself enjoying some sets that I'd not looked at in a loooong time.

It's sad to see that I no longer have unopened packs, but I did keep the wrappers and I'm looking forward to adding these new base cards and a few chase cards to my "extras" later on. Here's a list of the packs that I opened...

JAMES BOND:
40th Anniversary
Die Another Day
Women of Bond in Motion
The Quotable Bond
Dangerous Liaisons
The Complete Bond

STAR WARS:
Galaxy 1
Galaxy 2 (2 packs)
Galaxy 3
Chrome Archives
TPM Series 1 Retail Widevision (5 packs)
TPM Series 1 Hobby Widevision (5 packs)
TPM Series 2 Hobby Widevision (2 packs)
Episode 1 3D
Evolution
AOTC (3 packs)
AOTC Widevision
Clone Wars
Heritage (2 hobby, 2 retail)
ROTS (1 hobby, 1 retail)
ROTS Widevision (1 hobby, 1 retail)
Evolution 2 (1 hobby, 1 retail)

Thanks for looking at my post and I hope you all have (or had) as much fun as I did! ENJOY THE DAY!!!

THX2112

Posts: 139 | Location: Noblesville, IN | Registered: May 14, 2003Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of hippiejewel
posted Hide Post
Greetings friends.....Hope you're all enjoying the day.

Well I opened a box of LOST Season 3 from Hubby. I got 2 Inside the island foils,3 fighting back foils, A Jin costume card and a Andrew Divoff(Mikhail)autograph card.

Mark opened a box of Heroes cards. He did get a Claire costume card. I believe he did get all the foils but one. Not a bad haul at all.......Pics to follow later as I'm at mom duty......Have a great day everyone.....

Jewel Big Grin

Posts: 2035 | Location: Western Burbs of Chicago | Registered: April 06, 2001Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I got myself a box of Breygents Marilyn to open today although to alleviate the wait I also purchased a mini master set that did not include any sketch or costume or autograph cards but had everything else including the album.

My box contained

1 base set

3 cards from Swim Suit Fun

MS1, MS2, MS3

3 cards from The Shot seen around the World

MD7, MD8, MD9

4 cards from Marilyn Behind the Scenes

MB1, MB2, MB3, MB4

a Sketch card by Dennis Budd as shown below.

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I opened a box of X-Files Season 8 that I got pretty cheap off the auction site, and got the following:

base sets - probably 2 (haven't sorted them yet)
boxtopper - XBL1
Search For Mulder - B2
Believe to Understand - P7, P9

No autographs or Pieceworks, but this was one of those releases without a guaranteed "per box" ratio of autos or pieceworks. Still, a great set from a great show. Looking forward to the movie release!

Happy Open That Box Day everyone ! Wavey

Posts: 1458 | Location: Prairieville, LA | Registered: May 30, 2006Report This Post
New Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It's the first time I opened boxes on OTB-day. The box I have opened are: CSI Miami series 2 and Ice Age.

Here's my breakdown
CSI Miami series 2
1 complete base set
2 ID Badge: MI-ID4 and MI-ID5
Quicksilver T-shirt worn by Jake Sullivan
Boti Bliss autograph (bleu)
This is again a very nice set CSI cards, I like them very much.

Ice Age
1 complete base set
6 Ice Cardz: IC1, IC2, IC5, IC6, IC7 and IC12

Posts: 7 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: April 04, 2008Report This Post
Picture of ocdlotr
posted Hide Post
Hey all...Hope everyone had a cool Open That Box Day! Big Grin

This was the first time my wife wanted to take part in Open That Box Day...she's "kateri9" (aka Denise) and recently opened just a single pack of Movie Posters...it was a pack sent to me (I think by "slun25"...UN collectibles) along with a sketch card I had won...and my wife fell in love with the design of the cards and the cool sparkle highlights they added to the poster images...she's a big fan of old classic films so this new Movie Posters set was right up her alley!

She had box #2243/3000...

Denise put together ONE complete 72 card set...
and also pulledf the following inserts...

CK1...KEY LARGO
CK5...KEY LARGO
CK6...KEY LARGO
CM2...THE MALTESE FALCON
CM5...THE MALTESE FALCON
CM6...THE MALTESE FALCON
CM8...THE MALTESE FALCON
CT1...TOP HAT
CG3...GONE WITH THE WIND
CG7...GONE WITH THE WIND

...and this cool sketch card by Chris Hendersen...

She's already planning on saving a few different boxes for OTBD '09... Clap

Posts: 216 | Location: New York | Registered: March 28, 2006Report This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Kennywood
posted Hide Post
At last weekend's Midwest Card Show, I had my wife pick out a box of Firefly cards from Ed Webb. For some reason, my wife has a special knack for picking good boxes.

Well, we both started opening packs and here's what we got:

Base Sets: 2 complete + miscellaneous singles
Firefly Forever: F-1, F-2, F-9
Battle of Serenity: B-4, B-5
Box Loader: BL3
and
Autograph Redemption: Nathan Fillion Clap
(See...I told you my wife has the knack!)

I'm already looking forward to Open That Box Day 2009.

Posts: 7361 | Location: the wonderful state of Denial | Registered: January 14, 2001Report This Post
Picture of ocdlotr
posted Hide Post
Okay...my turn... Bouncey

For my 3rd annual Open That Box Day I really wanted to be prepared...local dealers here in Queens, New York were all out of LOTR Masterpieces 2...and one local shop wanted $69 a box...PLUS TAX which here in NY is 8.25%...so, last week, I looked through Ebay to see if anything was available...was able to pick up a single box from a Brooklyn seller for $37 ($44 with shipping) and then picked up a case for $350 ($355 with shipping)...BOTH GREAT DEALS... Wink

Problem...would they get here on time... Roll Eyes ... so many sellers on Ebay are s...l...o...w...shippers...the case was coming from Oregon or Washington state and the box from a nearby county in NYC...

Well, both arrived yesterday afternoon...but I couldn't hold out 100% and decided to open the single box last night...it actually yielded a very strange card...since I didn't open that box on the "official" OTB Day, I posted this strange card here...

...a few people elsewhere think it may be in "second wave" boxes...???

Now, what my wife and I did last year was go to a local Mexican place called Tequilla Sunrise of Bayside, had a great dinner with a Margurita or two, and then headed home, waited until midnight and then she watched as I tore into my LOTR Masterpieces I box...I pulled 4 sketch cards from a single box last OTB Day!

I had serious surgery this past January that had me sidelined from 1/7, the day of the first surgery...to just 2 weeks ago when I returned back to teaching full time...the 10 weeks inbetween have been rough but, like everything in life, you mend slowly and adapt to any and everything that comes your way...I'm a firm believer in the "Everything happens for a reason" philosophy... Razz

Last night, I was given the go ahead by my doc to have my first "drink"...so Denise and I repeated our lucky last year trip to Tequilla Sunrise, had our traditional salt rimmed glass Margurita (2 actually... Wink)...and walked in the door ready to wait until midnight and open our boxes...unfortunately, we both fell asleep on our couch at about 11:30 and woke this morning...a bit of a delay but rested and ready to rip away...(after we fed the birds and squirrels in our back yard, and then a local park where we used to walk our beagle Boone)...

Denise's pulls are a few posts before mine...

Me...I ripped into a full case of Masterpieces 2...hoping for something really great since I've had really bad luck opening boxes of this product before OTB day...I know it's just Open That Box Day and not Open That Case Day...so I figure Box #1 would be my "official" OTBD entry...but, I'll post the contents of my 8 boxes anyway since I know how crazy all you die hard OCD collectors really are... Eek

My best pulls yet...

Box #1

...a SENSATIONAL Soni scene card...a full color acrylic or watercolor painting that just glows heat and artistic talent (plus the fact that Soni did very few full color sketch cards!)...and a cool Steve Miller blue-eyed Gandalf!

Box #2

...a RAZ Sam and an unusual Gimli by Woodside...

Box #3

...my 8th Waterhouse Troll...and a wicked orc by Lee Koshe...

Box #4

...a nicely rendered Sam by Wayne Lo...and also my 8th Orc by Woodside...

Box #5

...sensational box...a beautiful sensitive portrait of Sam by Allison Sohn...and a delicate fine line ink drawing of Arwen by James Busauskas...

Box #6

...another GREAT BOX...a side profiled Gollum with a glaring red background...and a POWERFUL Denethor by one great artist...Sean Pence...Pence did only 56 sketch cards for this set so this is really a RARITY! Metal

Box #7

...a nice linear Witch King by Jon Ocampo and a soft Eowyn by Tess Fowler...beautiful in person!

Box #8

...a squiggley little Gollom with the One Ring by Jason Sobol...and I ended with, of course, my 9th Waterhouse Troll...NINE is an important number in the Trilogy and so it's fitting I would end this way...

...a terrific 8 boxes...the first my "official" OTB Day entry for this year...and I can't wait until next year!!! Dance

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ocdlotr,

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ocdlotr:
Okay...my turn... Bouncey

For my 3rd annual Open That Box Day I really wanted to be prepared...local dealers here in Queens, New York were all out of LOTR Masterpieces 2...and one local shop wanted $69 a box...PLUS TAX which here in NY is 8.25%...so, last week, I looked through Ebay to see if anything was available...was able to pick up a single box from a Brooklyn seller for $37 ($44 with shipping) and then picked up a case for $350 ($355 with shipping)...BOTH GREAT DEALS... Wink

Problem...would they get here on time... Roll Eyes ... so many sellers on Ebay are s...l...o...w...shippers...the case was coming from Oregon or Washington state and the box from a nearby county in NYC...

Well, both arrived yesterday afternoon...but I couldn't hold out 100% and decided to open the single box last night...it actually yielded a very strange card...since I didn't open that box on the "official" OTB Day, I'll post what that box yielded in the LOTRM2 thread...

...will post that link in a minute or two...

Now, what my wife and I did last year was go to a local Mexican place called Tequilla Sunrise of Bayside, had a great dinner with a Margurita or two, and then headed home, waited until midnight and then she watched as I tore into my LOTR Masterpieces I box...I pulled 4 sketch cards from a single box last OTB Day!

I had serious surgery this past January that had me sidelined from 1/7, the day of the first surgery...to just 2 weeks ago when I returned back to teaching full time...the 10 weeks inbetween have been rough but, like everything in life, you mend slowly and adapt to any and everything that comes your way...I'm a firm believer in the "Everything happens for a reason" philosophy... Razz

Last night, I was given the go ahead by my doc to have my first "drink"...so Denise and I repeated our lucky last year trip to Tequilla Sunrise, had our traditional salt rimmed glass Margurita (2 actually... Wink)...and walked in the door ready to wait until midnight and open our boxes...unfortunately, we both fell asleep on our couch at about 11:30 and woke this morning...a bit of a delay but rested and ready to rip away...(after we fed the birds and squirrels in our back yard, and then a local park where we used to walk our beagle Boone)...

Denise's pulls are a few posts before mine...

Me...I ripped into a full case of Masterpieces 2...hoping for something really great since I've had really bad luck opening boxes of this product before OTB day...I know it's just Open That Box Day and not Open That Case Day...so I figure Box #1 would be my "official" OTBD entry...but, I'll post the contents of my 8 boxes anyway since I know how crazy all you die hard OCD collectors really are... Eek

My best pulls yet...

Box #1

...a SENSATIONAL Soni scene card...a full color acrylic or watercolor painting that just glows heat and artistic talent (plus the fact that Soni did very few full color sketch cards!)...and a cool Steve Miller blue-eyed Gandalf!

Box #2

...a RAZ Sam and an unusual Gimli by Woodside...

Box #3

...my 8th Waterhouse Troll...and a wicked orc by Lee Koshe...

Box #4

...a nicely rendered Sam by Wayne Lo...and also my 8th Orc by Woodside...

Box #5

...sensational box...a beautiful sensitive portrait of Sam by Allison Sohn...and a delicate fine line ink drawing of Arwen by James Busauskas...

Box #6

...another GREAT BOX...a side profiled Gollum with a glaring red background...and a POWERFUL Denethor by one great artist...Sean Pence...Pence did only 56 sketch cards for this set so this is really a RARITY! Metal

Box #7

...a nice linear Witch King by Jon Ocampo and a soft Eowyn by Tess Fowler...beautiful in person!

Box #8

...a squiggley little Gollom with the One Ring by Jason Sobol...and I ended with, of course, my 9th Waterhouse Troll...NINE is an important number in the Trilogy and so it's fitting I would end this way...

...a terrific 8 boxes...the first my "official" OTB Day entry for this year...and I can't wait until next year!!! Dance

Extremely nice - Pence, Sohn & Weasel Eek - You missed pulling one to make up a perfect quartet Bellinger Smile

Check-Out-My-Cards ID: BigI929Deals

Posts: 113 | Location: SW PA | Registered: January 20, 2008Report This Post
Picture of ocdlotr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mdelbene:
Extremely nice - Pence, Sohn & Weasel Eek - You missed pulling one to make up a perfect quartet Bellinger Smile

...I still have a couple of that guy's sketch cards...Thumb Up

Picture of cardster
posted Hide Post
Happy OTBD 2008 to everyone. I opened 2 boxes of Women Of Marvel with fellow card talker Thush.

Very happy with my pulls.

Well done RA on another great set Thumb Up

Posts: 473 | Location: UK | Registered: April 11, 2006Report This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of kbmum
posted Hide Post
My 8-year-old daughter and I just finished opening a box of Disney Treasures 3. We had a blast! It was fun opening packs with her, because she loves everything about cards, from the base cards to the inserts to the wrappers. Smile This was one of the best boxes I've opened in a long time.

Silly Symphony S-05, 07
Aladdin AL-01, 04, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10
Winnie the Pooh -- 21 of the 45-card subset
PH26 Bambi Reel Piece of History Card with cells of Bambi as an adult

AND

PH33 Pocahontas Reel Piece of History Film/Patch Card with cells of Pocahontas on a cliff, watching a boat sail away with an injured John Smith Dance

This is my first patch card, although I've wanted one for a long time. I guess my daughter is my little good luck charm!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kbmum,

Posts: 1062 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: July 27, 2004Report This Post
Picture of blwilson
posted Hide Post
Happy OTBD to everyone!

Having just finished watching Season One, I was pleasantly surprised when my wife found a box of Sopranos Season One from Inkworks at a local comic book store yesterday. Just in the nick of time!

We found:

Base sets x2
Box Loader BL-3
Family Matters Puzzle cards FM-4, FM-5
Le Belle Donne cards BD-4, BD-5
Autograph redemption for Aida Turturro

Best of luck to everyone opening their boxes today.

Blair

wuher, Scott Rammel, Bond, mars53, Arvin Sloane, Larry C., silmapco, MrSpeed719, spidergoblin, mark64, steve j, barrowjack, indypat75, ra4dunb, Avalon, hammer, Gregor1968, Rich, Scifi Cards, Ryan Cracknell, UofLHoops, Cee_Jay, rachandcarl, brandocles, venom5liter, Warrior Babe, manolito, SciFi Mom, Ariana, Craig, beleay, kidtrek, eman, iki927, jane

Posts: 281 | Location: Surrey, BC, Canada | Registered: January 17, 2006Report This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of cverdec
posted Hide Post
hey cardster-

That is Captain Britain. Check this Comic Book Cover:

By cverdec at 2008-04-12

Chris

Posts: 920 | Location: Woodbridge, VA | Registered: August 21, 2002Report This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi everyone Smile
Opened a box of heroes and got the usual chase and Hiro's costume card Smile Smile Smile

KADRAN00157

Posts: 3429 | Location: UK | Registered: November 29, 2003Report This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Hi Everyone:

We got a great entry this morning via e-mail from Martin Bodnar of CT:
quote:
I did it!
I opened my box of Donruss' Americana - and I'm re-invigorated in my hobby!
Finding a swatch card of my all-time favorite celebrity sure did help!
heh, heh

Thanks for making me a fan of collecting cards again!

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Report This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Raj
posted Hide Post
I opened a box of Spider-Man 3 from Rittenhouse (just after midnight).

1 auto of Joe Manganiello as Flash Thompson (should have had 2 autos).

1 Spidey in usual costume R6
1 Spidey in black costume B4
1 Sandman S3
1 Green Goblin G1

18 Behind the scenes cards.

Posts: 3249 | Location: Luton, UK | Registered: October 07, 2001Report This Post