Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Outlander P10 promo
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
5 total (so far) have appeared you know where over the past month

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
You're right, a print run of 250 isn't as limited as many have been over the past several years but it is for Outlander. We can judge by only what we do know - just five P10's have been on Ebay and each of them had a final bid of at least $150 with one going for just over $300 tells us that those people (the winners and those outbid) couldn't find it for sale elsewhere and were willing to take the bidding that far. $150-300 is a lot for a promo these days. We might assume that those people are either diehard promo collectors or big fans of the show or both.

It's true, it would be very interesting to get confirmation that the run was 250. It would be great if someone who went on the cruise would talk about how that went. It's possible that someone could be sitting on a significant quantity and waiting for that perfect opportunity to sell but this is likely the best time to sell while demand is high. I get the feeling that a lot of people who got the card decided to keep it. If I got just one of those and I were a big Outlander fan, I would keep it.

Yes, making the source of the promo so exclusive, as exclusive as an Inkworks promo given out at a show in Hawaii (though some people got one later) would be understandably frustrating to someone who paid real money for a box and some more for a couple of cards that weren't in the box. That person thought the promos were going to be easier to pick up than the rarer chase cards but that isn't the case with the P10. And I do think it would have been less frustrating to some collectors if it had been an unnumbered card rather than one within the sequence.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
It looks like the Outlander P10 is going to be one of the Holy Grails in the promo world and maybe among the hottest cards (most-coveted, most talked-about) of the year.

Not sure about that Holy Grail part, unless you have more information than I do. If print runs on regular cards are open to interpretation, you have even less to trust with promos.

The figure of 250 copies seems to be thrown around here. That in itself is not super limited, it would put it in the VL range if this were RA. Do we know if 250 is the whole run? Do we know if they were all given out? Do we know if any got thrown overboard? Do we know if there won't come a time when we see a bunch go up for sale all at once?

I don't know any of that, so I would say NO to all. However if it is 250 copies and all are being held by somebody and none were destroyed, that's a big range for a Holy Grail that is only really desired because Crypto decided to use a promo that was in a sequence that collectors had already started. For those card collectors that aren't interested in having all the Outlander promos, this promo will mean very little beyond its selling price, whatever that settles out to be.

I do believe, as I previously stated, that to be fair to Outlander collectors CZE just should have made an exclusive card for the occasion, without using the existing numbering and potentially busting up the order with an unaffordable card, and everyone would have been happy. I wonder if anyone thought to question CZE representatives about the wisdom of this P10 distribution when they had them at the Philly show?[/QUOTE]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'm glad you were able to talk to someone at Cryptozoic directly and points in both directions were understood.

I also understand that you don't like limited promos but I do. I guess that's the main point of disagreement between us. I used to go to the San Diego Comic-Con 15-20 years ago and there were several specially-numbered and specially-stamped cards that were given out free. They are still nice little souvenirs to have whatever the value. You get some nice exclusive cards at the Philly shows too.

I hope you and other Outlander card collectors can find a cheap P10 down the road.

quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
quote:
I do get it and am sympathetic since I'm a collector too. Hammer and I talked about this in another thread. He didn't like that some of the Gotham promos were getting pricey. What I don't get is how he expects Cryptozoic to provide a set of promos to everyone who collects the series.

If you read what I said!!!! I'm not expecting anybody to give me them (although they are PROMO's and are "usually" given freely!) I spoke to Cryptozoic at the latest Philly show and expressed my frustration at such short printed promo's (yes I did attend) and they explained their marketing strategy. The simple fact is that any "limited" card - especially when new out will command a higher price due to the fact it is limited - so you could argue that the card company, by issuing a "limited" card, is responsible in some way. My point is still that if you are trying to make people aware of a trading card set, you don't need a card exclusive to the cruise (unless of course it is a Cruise specifically for Outlander Card Collectors!!). Again I will emphasise this is an opinion, I like having the promo's from sets I am collecting and I don't like a $100 promo!! It's a Great show and a Great set and the Crypto guys that come to the Philly show are GREAT too, we had a nice conversation where we both understood where each of us were coming from. If I go on the next cruise and get 6 individuals to give me their cards for a drink I will have a free cruise Dance

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm glad you were able to talk to someone at Cryptozoic directly and points in both directions were understood.

I also understand that you don't like limited promos but I do. I guess that's the main point of disagreement between us. I used to go to the San Diego Comic-Con 15-20 years ago and there were several specially-numbered and specially-stamped cards that were given out free. They are still nice little souvenirs to have whatever the value. You get some nice exclusive cards at the Philly shows too.

I hope you and other Outlander card collectors can find a cheap P10 down the road.

I DO like limited cards, when I have them!!!, and these are - generally - cards given for free at shows etc. Yes I have a number of Philly show limited cards that I value greatly some with numbers in the 40/50/60 range. Cryptozoic are about the only company now - that sadly - Brygent have gone, that are doing a decent amount of promos so I am happy they are doing so. The P10 will turn up eventually

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have seen six total appear on the auction site , and I came across a dealer who had two, and the cheapest I have seen them go for (so far) was $ 157.50.

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Saw one sell for less than $100 a few weeks ago, so maybe the prices are dropping.

One seller seems to have MORE than a few...

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've noticed that prices still seem to be high on this one. Sellers still getting over $100 for this P10 promo from last year.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, in the past few months there was one that went for over $200 but the average is still around $150. The lowest one has sold for in that time is $128.

quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
I've noticed that prices still seem to be high on this one. Sellers still getting over $100 for this P10 promo from last year.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I've been checking on this one from time to time. I don't collect the Outlander sets and haven't really chased those promos but this Season 2 P10 got a lot of chatter when it was new in 2017 with people who had to have it fast establishing the price range around $200.

A year later, the average sale price slipped to around $150. Jump two years after that (this past winter-spring), I saw one sell for $125 and another for $112. Then, few days ago, one sold for just $48 with 17 bids.

Patience is bitter but its fruit is sweet.

Jess

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
That's a considerable drop even with the lapsed time. Not sure if it establishes a new price range or something else was going on. I would wonder the same thing about any card that exhibited that much prior demand, promo or not.

Questions . . . There were 17 bids, but how many different bidders? What did the seller's history look like? Was there some reason the auction may not have been seen by many potential buyers? Was the card in a lesser condition? Has anyone noticed the limited P10 supply suddenly shaking loose? Has Outlander demand nosedived for the show or the cards?

Have people finally come to their senses? Big Grin Probably the least likely reason given our hobby. Wink

I think you are going to have to wait for more sales to determine if this is going to help make a new average or if it was just a lucky slipped-between-the-cracks sale for some buyer.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There were 7 different bidders with the first one taking a shot late but was outsniped at the end by a new bidder. Two sellers are still trying to get $150 to $200 with no takers. That tells me the going rate has slipped below that range and they are just hoping to snare somebody who hasn't been watching the game.

I need to add that the seller may have made a critical error. The card is described as "2019 Cryptozoic Outlander Season 2 Promo Card P10." The season and card number is correct but the year is wrong. That might have caused it to get overlooked though I think collectors wanting that card would have recognized the front and it did get 17 bids from 7 bidders so it's not like someone got lucky with a low BIN.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
That's a considerable drop even with the lapsed time. Not sure if it establishes a new price range or something else was going on. I would wonder the same thing about any card that exhibited that much prior demand, promo or not.

Questions . . . There were 17 bids, but how many different bidders? What did the seller's history look like? Was there some reason the auction may not have been seen by many potential buyers? Was the card in a lesser condition? Has anyone noticed the limited P10 supply suddenly shaking loose? Has Outlander demand nosedived for the show or the cards?

Have people finally come to their senses? Big Grin Probably the least likely reason given our hobby. Wink

I think you are going to have to wait for more sales to determine if this is going to help make a new average or if it was just a lucky slipped-between-the-cracks sale for some buyer.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen a Season 2 P10 sell since late summer 2020. I've seen sellers still trying to get $200 or not much below. I'm afraid that ship has sailed. The going rate was half that two years ago and I wonder if one would go for that now. Anyone hear of any sales in the past year?