Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Outlander P10 promo
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
This will reportedly be available at a cocktail party/dinner cruise with the stars event in New York City on September 30

If you do an internet search you can find more info, but tickets are about $ 750 and appear to be all sold out. Frown

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Get a job as a waiter on the cruise, these will be left all over the tables. Thumb Up

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Might have to stowaway on the ship to get the promo ! Anyone have scuba gear ?

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
It's almost as if cryptozoic don't want card collectors to get these cards

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
If someone really wants one of these cards, I would try contacting an attending cast member and ask if he/she can send you one later (send an SASE). Tell them how much you enjoy the show and their work and that you heard about the event too late to get a ticket. It's worth a shot.

quote:
Originally posted by hammer:

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Ryan Cracknell
posted Hide Post
quote:

If they're promos, aren't they meant to promote a product? Reaching Outlander fans -- who might not be collectors -- seems like a good way to promote a product.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook

Posts: 1177 | Location: Nanaimo, BC | Registered: November 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Cracknell:
quote:

If they're promos, aren't they meant to promote a product? Reaching Outlander fans -- who might not be collectors -- seems like a good way to promote a product.

The theory is sound but what about those who ARE collecting the product and would like the promo? Is seeing $
100 promos good for them? I'm all in favour of attracting new fans but don't forget the core either

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think there is some confusion as to what this event is. It is referred to as a "voyage" in which you have dinner with the stars. I guess that it does not involve a cruise, however.

Not sure if I am allowed to post a link, but as tickets are all sold out, I guess it's OK. If not, Harris you can delete it

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/a...-tickets-34751450524

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
So I clicked the link and its a charity event, sounds cool if you are into Outlander enough to part with the cash. You do get autographs and posters and food for your money.

Now I don't see where they state anything about giving away the P10 promo, but since NSU and CZE are not denying it, I guess its true.

So assuming its true, I don't believe the "new blood into the hobby" argument really works when you are talking about the sort of people a $750 event attracts. They are already card collectors or they are not. If they are that much into the show, they know about the cards already. That doesn't mean that they are going to be turned on to trading cards in general.

Now at that price I am all for CZE giving them a special Outlander card for the occasion. Heck they should get the tablecloths, the napkins, the centerpieces, the chairs and the light fixtures. Big Grin But why give away a promo card that is already part of a series that some card collectors are trying to complete? Does CZE think these people at the dinner already own P1 - P9 and need the last one? Then they are not new blood, are they? Or is it meant to help reimburse the event price when it is sold you know where afterwards, like an incentive maybe? Still not new blood.

Here's the deal, promo cards are very important to some card collectors. Not me in particular, but I recognize that they are important to many card collectors. They were meant to be free. They are not, but no one needs $100 promo cards. However they do want those $100 promo cards and there in lies the discontent.

The card makers can't just say you shouldn't feel this way. They can't just say its fine if you only have 9 out of 10. The card makers are the ones who started all this promo card nonsense when they made exclusives and numbered and short prints and incentive based promos. They turned promo cards into a product all its own, with a value all its own, while still keeping them as a necessity of a master set.

So when the complaints come in about promo cards not being available or affordable, why is it always such a surprise? If you make something that was supposed to be worthless advertisement so important when you want it to be, then this is what you get when you want to minimize it.

Thanks for the correction below David. I didn't know how many Outlander promos were made. If there is P1 - P9 and P11, you have an obvious gap if you don't get the P10. That just makes it worse. If it was the last card you could always pretend you were finished. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Raven, there is also the P11 promo that was released a few weeks ago at the National show in Chicago, along with the Bombshells P10.

So many folks have P1 to P9 and P11, and are just looking for the P10 now.

Sometimes writing to the celebrity actually works. Last year, they had the Flash P2 promo that was being given away by the actor who voices Gorilla Grodd, available from him for a SASE.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
I'm all in favour of getting cards to a new audience, my point is why make it an exclusive card? why not give them the P9 card that has already been distributed - what you are doing is making sure Outlander fans know there are cards out there - they don't need an exclusive card. Anybody who pretends to understand collecting would know that you want to complete sets you are collecting so a $100+ promo card eats away at you until hopefully a pile of 500 turn up somewhere and they are suddenly $10 each LOL!

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Some of these are showing up.

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Just an observation, that while about a half dozen of these have appeared "you know where" over the past month, they all seem to be going for around $ 200, and not coming down so far.

Supposedly only 250 made.

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
If you paid $750 for a dinner cruise and a couple of autographs, wouldn't you appreciate an exclusive collectible on top of it? Do you give that person some swag he could have gotten in San Diego? No, Cryptozoic decided to give that person something special. It looks like Outlander is one of THE hot properties right now and you just happen to be one of thousands who like the show and collect the cards. Most of you aren't getting that one because there are only 250 of them anyway. Besides, Cryptozoic didn't set the going-rate, Ebay bidders did.

Weeks ago, I saw a 1 of 10 Planet of the Apes promo card go for less than $90. Planet pf the Apes stuff is popular but it can't touch Outlander right now. A 1 of 250 Outlander card from whatever source is going to be in-demand. Maybe in a couple of years or whenever Outlander is no longer must-see TV, a few P10's are going to leak back into circulation largely unnoticed and maybe at a price you can live with. Watch for it.

I remember when it became known that Rittenhouse Archives had printed some promo cards that did not get released (a card each for various 2001 sets like Xena Season 6, Hercules, Outer Limits, First Wave). Somehow, a few collectors got some. They were going for around $100 each and I didn't get one. Flash forward to last year or the year before, I saw the Hercules card as part of a lot for $6 and I jumped on it. I got an unreleased Outer Limits card for even less (the dealer seemed mystified that back variations made a difference to anyone but he made a profit so he didn't care).

quote:
I'm all in favour of getting cards to a new audience, my point is why make it an exclusive card? why not give them the P9 card that has already been distributed - what you are doing is making sure Outlander fans know there are cards out there - they don't need an exclusive card. Anybody who pretends to understand collecting would know that you want to complete sets you are collecting so a $100+ promo card eats away at you until hopefully a pile of 500 turn up somewhere and they are suddenly $10 each LOL!

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
You just don't get it and never will what Kevin said makes perfect sense. You are not signing up for a cruise to get a promo card. Did you? I doubt it.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I do get it and am sympathetic since I'm a collector too. Hammer and I talked about this in another thread. He didn't like that some of the Gotham promos were getting pricey. What I don't get is how he expects Cryptozoic to provide a set of promos to everyone who collects the series. I still have to finish my promo set for Star Wars Trilogy Widevision from twenty years ago but I've never expected Topps to just mail them to me. What promos sell for secondhand and down the road is determined by what a seller offers and what a buyer is willing to pay. Outlander happens to be a hot franchise right now and we live in a world where the one who bids the most wins.

I looked at what the various Outlander promos have been selling for and was surprised that just about all of them go for at least $10 and at least one other one has sold for $100 or more. It might be sign that the hobby is recovering from the economic downturn of 2008 but it's unlucky if you're an Outlander fan and already struggling to assemble a master set on a budget. It looks like the Outlander P10 is going to be one of the Holy Grails in the promo world and maybe among the hottest cards (most-coveted, most talked-about) of the year.

As for whether I signed up for that cruise to get the promo, no I didn't, but I'll have to watch for news of the next high-end event with an Outlander promo. It might be another $750 get-together of some kind but I'll have to consider it because it appears my expenses would be covered if just a few people around me don't want their cards. You can complain about the way the game is being played or you can look for a way to play your way through.

quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
You just don't get it and never will what Kevin said makes perfect sense. You are not signing up for a cruise to get a promo card. Did you? I doubt it.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
It looks like the Outlander P10 is going to be one of the Holy Grails in the promo world and maybe among the hottest cards (most-coveted, most talked-about) of the year.
[/QUOTE]

Not sure about that Holy Grail part, unless you have more information than I do. If print runs on regular cards are open to interpretation, you have even less to trust with promos.

The figure of 250 copies seems to be thrown around here. That in itself is not super limited, it would put it in the VL range if this were RA. Do we know if 250 is the whole run? Do we know if they were all given out? Do we know if any got thrown overboard? Do we know if there won't come a time when we see a bunch go up for sale all at once?

I don't know any of that, so I would say NO to all. However if it is 250 copies and all are being held by somebody and none were destroyed, that's a big range for a Holy Grail that is only really desired because Crypto decided to use a promo that was in a sequence that collectors had already started. For those card collectors that aren't interested in having all the Outlander promos, this promo will mean very little beyond its selling price, whatever that settles out to be.

I do believe, as I previously stated, that to be fair to Outlander collectors CZE just should have made an exclusive card for the occasion, without using the existing numbering and potentially busting up the order with an unaffordable card, and everyone would have been happy. I wonder if anyone thought to question CZE representatives about the wisdom of this P10 distribution when they had them at the Philly show?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
I do get it and am sympathetic since I'm a collector too. Hammer and I talked about this in another thread. He didn't like that some of the Gotham promos were getting pricey. What I don't get is how he expects Cryptozoic to provide a set of promos to everyone who collects the series.

If you read what I said!!!! I'm not expecting anybody to give me them (although they are PROMO's and are "usually" given freely!) I spoke to Cryptozoic at the latest Philly show and expressed my frustration at such short printed promo's (yes I did attend) and they explained their marketing strategy. The simple fact is that any "limited" card - especially when new out will command a higher price due to the fact it is limited - so you could argue that the card company, by issuing a "limited" card, is responsible in some way. My point is still that if you are trying to make people aware of a trading card set, you don't need a card exclusive to the cruise (unless of course it is a Cruise specifically for Outlander Card Collectors!!). Again I will emphasise this is an opinion, I like having the promo's from sets I am collecting and I don't like a $100 promo!! It's a Great show and a Great set and the Crypto guys that come to the Philly show are GREAT too, we had a nice conversation where we both understood where each of us were coming from. If I go on the next cruise and get 6 individuals to give me their cards for a drink I will have a free cruise Dance

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
I spoke to Cryptozoic at the latest Philly show and expressed my frustration at such short printed promo's (yes I did attend) and they explained their marketing strategy. The simple fact is that any "limited" card - especially when new out will command a higher price due to the fact it is limited - so you could argue that the card company, by issuing a "limited" card, is responsible in some way. My point is still that if you are trying to make people aware of a trading card set, you don't need a card exclusive to the cruise (unless of course it is a Cruise specifically for Outlander Card Collectors!!).

Happy to hear you addressed it with them. Maybe it will give them a different insight the next time similar decisions come up.

The only thing I find off with that stated "marketing strategy" is that, in the particular case of P10, it's not its newness or limited production that makes it potentially cost more than all the other Outlander promos. Indeed at 250 copies, if that's right, P10 isn't even terribly limited.

What CZE did was attach its distribution to an event that had a $750 cover charge and that is the big difference because it implies a certain value by virtue of being available through a high priced event. Same thing as conventional wisdom says a common card in a high priced box should be worth multiply times more than a common card in an average priced box. If you have to pay more to get something, it will be added unto the selling price when you want others to buy it.

That's the real reason why P10 will have a premium over the other Outlander promos, because it was not handed out in the course of a free or normal priced event. So the company's marketing strategy would certainly have to know that it is responsible for creating a promo card that will be in the upper ranges when it hits the secondary market. To not know, would be to not know card collectors. Wink

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
The only point of a promo card is to get people talking about the product and the company. It appears to be working. Thumb Up

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post