Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  New Promo Card Releases    Bettie Page Box 2 BP23-NSU
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bettie Page Box 2 BP23-NSU
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted
The upcoming issue of Non-Sport Update has ten versions of Versicolor Productions' Bettie Page Box 2 BP23-NSU promo card. We have details about it today on the blog:

Non-Sport Update blog story - A Bevy of Bettie

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Numerous card variations comes as no surprise to me when the issuer/manufacturer is a printer as they need to demonstrate their printing capabilities to the card public at large. At least we are given a chance to collect them all buy purchasing additional copies of NSU. Hopefully without any being printed in ridiculous low numbers.

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Zero
posted Hide Post
'Most copies will contain the standard version with Versicolor’s usual clear spot finish treatment to the Bettie Page logo.'

So what's the ratio of (any) variant to standard? Every other issue, 1 in 10.....?

'Most copies' makes buying multiple issues sound like a waste of time.

Now if I could buy ten issues and be guaranteed all ten promos we would be in business. That's what happened with the seven Metallic promos.

Posts: 191 | Location: Cheshire, UK | Registered: January 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is quite discouraging. At least with the recent MP1 promo you could buy the card sets from Versicolor and get all 7.

With this new promo, the only way to get all 10 is to spend a fortune on ebay, if they show up. Frown Not happy with this twist !

Posts: 3996 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I will gladly take whatever promo comes in my issue, but this is exactly why I stopped persuing the previous set and will not buy the new one. It was fun for a while, but then I just gave up. I'm not as young as I used to be!

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of miket999
posted Hide Post
While it is a great looking promo card, 10 variations? And I echo a lot of the comments on this forum. It will be next to impossible to get all 10 variations, and if you are able to, probably will cost a fortune.

Posts: 5347 | Location: Warrenton, Virginia, USA | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Versicolor
posted Hide Post
As stated above by John, we at Versicolor just wanted to show the different types of printing we could do. We wanted to do something different, new and fun. Even with these variations, we still haven't printed more than we did with Bettie Page Box 1. You don't necessarily need to "get them all," we thought it would just be exciting to see which one you get in your issue. And by the way, they were inserted in a 1 in 4 ratio. But they were completely random so it may not fall exactly, FYI. We hope you enjoy them either way and promise not to do so many variations in the future. :-)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Versicolor,

Posts: 122 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the information Billy and for taking the time to provide the promos for the magazine. Wavey

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
I don't understand why people are upset - you don't need every version, the image and text are the same on each card, I really think getting every different promo is more desireable than every variant.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Graham
posted Hide Post
I really can't see the problem. I really enjoyed tracking down the 9 promos that were brought out for Charmed Season 1. I'm not collecting the release, but I may go for the promos just because it's a little different to the norm.

Posts: 3804 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: April 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
I am quite happy with one promo for each number, so whatever BP23-NSU I get that will be the only one I need (I hope it is a variant though Big Grin)

It is also a LOVELY card

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of cmcdjj37
posted Hide Post
I also don't see the problem here. If you are a completest then aren't you aware of the extra time and money that goes with it?

Posts: 209 | Location: Castle Rock, Colorado | Registered: July 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
I don't see any problem either. I will also be happy with any of the promos and if you want all the different versions most of us have the ability to trade for other cards so it can be done without spending all kinds of money.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BILLZEE
posted Hide Post
I've posted elsewhere that I won't chase every variant of this BP23-NSU.

Will be GRATEFUL to get one version & thankful to Billy for making them/giving them out...

If I'm able to trade for some of the variants, thats even better.

I like the Bettie image that Billy chose - she was pretty adorable Luv You!

Posts: 2236 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Elaine Perna
posted Hide Post
The chase will be on. Smile

Posts: 2274 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
We got in some sample promos today and so I have had a chance to see most of the actual cards. I hadn't seen them before when I wrote the blog item...just the image posted above.

First of all, the card is a beauty. Richard Pace's art is top notch.

Most of the card variations are not all that different, and the difference in finish on some is hard to spot. In fact, you might not even know you're holding cards with two different finishes. People who have a single card may be hard pressed to say which it is. So it's not like other variations in Versicolor's promos where the cards are completely different from one another. The card we did last year in the magazine (BP9-NSU and BP9a-NSU), for example, used two totally different images. And the ones we did at the Philly Show had completely different listings of artists names on the back. These are much more subtle and I guess it will vary from collector to collector whether they feel they need to own more then one. As Billy said above, though, this will greatly show off some of the printing formats Versicolor is capable of.

Now having said this, there are a couple of versions that do look pretty different... specifically, the metallic ones as they have a grey metallic background.

Enjoy your cards, whichever one(s) you get.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of make-mine-marvel
posted Hide Post
poo - i should have read more carefully - i went to the bookstore to buy copies of the mag for the promo, but realized it's not out yet ...

@Sketchcards on Twitter

Posts: 1817 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: June 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
quote:
poo - i should have read more carefully - i went to the bookstore to buy copies of the mag for the promo, but realized it's not out yet ...

But you have donated to a worthy cause and can give the extra magazines away to some young card collectors to spur them on to further enjoyment of the hobby!

Posts: 2502 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of John Oder
posted Hide Post
Five promos in this Issue, Nice. I got the BP23-NSU with the Clear Text.

Regarding the Mars Attacks promo P10, does that carry over from the SDCC 9 card set, even though it looks completely different?

Posts: 943 | Location: Jesup, GA 31546 | Registered: March 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Elaine Perna
posted Hide Post
I just ordered another magazine. I can't wait to see what we get with our regular subscription magazine and the other one. Big Grin

Posts: 2274 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post