Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Penny Dreadful
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted
Hi All:

We have a story on the blog today about Cryptozoic Entertainment's 22-card Penny Dreadful promo card set:

Penny for your Promos

It's going to be a hard set to put together with cards distributed in various outlets.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Crumbs I still have not finished series 3 of the 3 stooges

Posts: 157 | Location: ENGLAND | Registered: February 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of the tarot deck, but searching for 22 cards is a lot to ask for. Exclusive promos of 3 or 4 additional cards would have been fine. The rest could have been an insert set seeded in the packs.

Normally I don't pay much attention to promos, but I am interested in this set, and in this case I think it would be almost necessary to have all the tarot cards if you wanted to call your set complete. I say that because if you watched the show you already know that predictions and fortune telling are a big part of it.

I don't know how I'm going to round all these up unless someone else puts them together and sells the lot.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It says that the first 9 will be in the boxes

Will these be 1 per box ? How many will you get in each box ? anyone know ?

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
It says that the first 9 will be in the boxes

Will these be 1 per box ? How many will you get in each box ? anyone know ?

I'm not sure if that's been determined yet. Unfortunately, I am not sure of that myself.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have seen the 78 card tarot deck, sold at SDCC

So these 22 cards are not the same as the singles from the deck ? They look similar

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
I could be mistaken but I don't think the 78 card tarot deck was produced by Cryptozoic. Also, while the line drawings might look the same, the backs are completely different. The Cryptozoic cards are printed on their Cryptomium stock -- I have no idea what the tarot cards are printed on but I doubt it's a similar stock. I don't think the tarot cards are really considered trading cards. Also, I don't know what size the tarot deck cards are -- might not be 2.5 x 3.5.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
This 78 card tarot set is not the CZE promos. It is from a completely different maker, but it does bear the Penny Dreadful title and description, so I would assume it is a licensed product.

Kind of takes away from the 22 promos that I was going to try and collect. I wouldn't really consider them trading cards though, I would put them more in the playing card category. There also seems to be a big swing in the pricing from seller to seller. Don't know what to make of it, but I wouldn't like it if I were CZE.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Got my copy of NSU today and the Penny Dreadful promo is really good quality, thicker cardstock than a normal card and a glossy finish Thumb Up . I got card XII The Hanged Man.

Also seen the tarot deck made by "Bif Bang Pow CHINA" whoever they are. Cards are larger than trading card size, more in line with a traditional tarot card set and look pretty thin and cheap compared to the Cryptozoic one but with the same designs just missing the roman numeral numbering on the bottom.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Triple-Frog,

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Elaine Perna
posted Hide Post
I got promo X (Wheel of Fortune) in my Aug/Sep ’15 issue of Non-Sport Update. Smile

Posts: 2274 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I got IX The Hermit in my copy. Nice card, good quality.

Really wish there was a way that annual subscribers could order all 13 promos from NSU directly. These are very well made and I feel have a much more significant link to the actual product than the normal promo card because the first nine cards are an actual chase set in the packs.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I picked up the 2 from SDCC

NSU recently had the deal where you could get all 18 Benchwarmer cards in the special issue for $ 100. It would be nice to get all 13 of these the same way

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of stevetrek
posted Hide Post
I got XIII in my issue of NSU.

Posts: 900 | Location: IL | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elaine Perna:
I got promo X (Wheel of Fortune) in my Aug/Sep ’15 issue of Non-Sport Update. Smile

I got X too Smile

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I see that you can now order the Deluxe version of NSU and get all 13 promos. Yay !

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
I see that you can now order the Deluxe version of NSU and get all 13 promos. Yay !

Great. Glad you saw that Tommy. I had meant to post that here so you would see it (since you posted about this the other day, I thought you might be interested) but hadn't gotten to that yet. Also, if anyone else is interested, here's the order link:

Current NSU with all Penny Dreadful and Three Stooges promo cards

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Harris, I think I speak for Tommy and others in saying THANK YOU for making this offer available

It is nice to be able to get a "set" of 13 without having to spend a fortune

THANK YOU, THANK YOU

Now to just chase down the 9 that come in the boxes of cards !

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Just put in my order. Thanks for making it happen. Smile

posted Hide Post
cheers Harris , I will get my order in soon ,even though I have 8 penny dreadful promos
all ready .

Posts: 157 | Location: ENGLAND | Registered: February 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Hoooooooooooooooooooooray Smile

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post