Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  New Promo Card Releases    HUNGER GAMES PROMO CARDS W/ AUTOGRAPHS
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HUNGER GAMES PROMO CARDS W/ AUTOGRAPHS
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Bacall1. I'm sorry but I don't have the Cato card anymore. I don't even have a scan of it. I probably should've at least kept a pic for reference. I was trying to put the set together myself but gave up on it. I sold it privately to a collector who contacted me several months back. I had 7 of the 10 autographs at one time or another but now I have zip. Sorry I can't help you. Frown There's a Jennifer Lawrence auto on a certain auction site right now. The sig is a bit smudged though.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Logan. I wish I had known you were selling. Would love to have added it to my collection. It does seem this set will be almost an impossibility. Still no Gale or Rue cards ever listed.

Posts: 249 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Did anyone ever come across A3 or A4 ?

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Did anyone ever come across A3 or A4 ?

I've searched eBay every single day for these and have never seen either turn up. I have seen a total of 3 A1 Jennifer Lawrence autographs and the last was about 2 years ago. I haven't seen one since. I still firmly believe that A3 & A4 are Liam Hemsworth and Amandla Stenberg. I just can't prove it yet.

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Another Jennifer Lawrence card recently sold on ebay. That's makes 4 of those that have turned up that I'm aware of. This one doesn't have the best signature, but given the rarity I still think the buyer got a really good deal at $406.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
It's funny but you see a lot of autographs from the stars of the Hunger Games online, and I have to say that taken as a whole group, I have not seen one legible signature from any of them.

It always hurts me to spend a lot of money on autographs that are initials or doodles, but if you must have JLaw the selling price is less than it was in 2012, so it was practically a bargain. Big Grin

The silver pen that seems to have been used on all these promo cards does not help matters. It's streaking and uneven. I also find that the paint chips and flakes over time, which is why I don't recommend the silver or gold paint pens, but it is what it is.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Whoever paid $400 for that must be out of thier mind but of course that is just my opinion, other opinions are available. Big Grin

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
Whoever paid $400 for that must be out of thier mind but of course that is just my opinion, other opinions are available. Big Grin

Two years ago I sold the one I had privately for $1300. I can't imagine your thoughts on that. Big Grin

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:

Two years ago I sold the one I had privately for $1300. I can't imagine your thoughts on that. Big Grin

I've just expressed my thoughts on that but due to forum restrictions i am not allowed to type them out. Big Grin

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I don't see any problem with this autograph card being in the $400 range. You have a young, mega star signing on what appears to be a very limited licensed card. It's true that you never know when she might turn into a permanent convention guest or decide to wall paper her autographs, but given her stature as a serious and wealthy actress it is kind of unlikely that she will be hawking Hunger Game merchandise in her 50's.

Now she has an absolutely lousy autograph (initials) and I personally would not spend that kind of money on it. However that is how she signs and it should only be discounted if she has a "money signature" that she uses when she is in a good mood. I have not seen a legible signature from her yet, not even on the fakes Big Grin , and you'd better believe that the vast majority of her autographs offered are fakes. So that is another reason why this certified card should be worth it's price.

Now if someone could explain to me why the Susan Oliver cut signature card #1/13 in the Star Trek 50th Anniversary that just sold for $7,500 is worth it, that I would like to hear. Wink

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Raven:

Now she has an absolutely lousy autograph (initials) and I personally would not spend that kind of money on it. However that is how she signs and it should only be discounted if she has a "money signature" that she uses when she is in a good mood. I have not seen a legible signature from her yet, not even on the fakes Big Grin , and you'd better believe that the vast majority of her autographs offered are fakes.[QUOTE]

The only really nice signatures I've seen from her were on signed cast photos from "The Bill Engvall Show" when she was very young and still an unknown. I found a (sideways) pic online and posted it below but I can't get it to rotate properly. Since she has become famous her signature has shortened considerably, many times just being the "J" and the "L" seen on these Hunger Games cards.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
That's interesting Logan, if you don't mind my asking, do you know for sure that the signatures on that photo are genuine?

I don't follow JLaw and never even heard of that show. I am a natural skeptic and when I see cast signed photos and posters and scripts, unless I know who got them in person and can verify it, I get even more suspicious. It's hard enough to get one person to sign, without getting 5 and 6 people.

Photos requested and sent from studios or production companies are often ghost signed by staff or are pre-printed or stamped into the photo. So a full signature from her would definitely be worth a premium over the initial version, but you would have to provide some assurance that it really is a genuine hand-signed, earlier version.

At this point in time JLaw would be close to the top of the list of the most often forged celebrities, partly because her autograph is so short and bad that it's easy to do and also because there is so little access to her.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
That's interesting Logan, if you don't mind my asking, do you know for sure that the signatures on that photo are genuine?

No, I don't. But I did see other examples of that signed photo a few years ago with different signature placements and enough pressure variations that I know they can't all be pre-printed. As for authenticity of the signatures, that I can't say for certain. That's one of the negatives of signed photos. It's impossible to prove unless you have pictures of the actual item being signed.

When it comes to autographs in general, who knows what's real and what isn't unless you witness it yourself. I've even seen quite a few "certified" trading cards that I don't believe for a second were signed by the celebrity, but I won't voice it publicly because I can't prove it.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
When it comes to autographs in general, who knows what's real and what isn't unless you witness it yourself. I've even seen quite a few "certified" trading cards that I don't believe for a second were signed by the celebrity, but I won't voice it publicly because I can't prove it.

Well that's a very large reason why I prefer the certified autograph card from the licensed card set. That card manufacturer is risking his reputation when distributing that autograph, no matter what the language stated on the back, should it turn out to be less than genuinely hand signed. So while you are correct that things have gone bad on a few examples we could name, it doesn't happen often. It's still the best guarantee you can get short of that in-person viewing.

Now if by "certified" you mean certification from the grading services, that's a different issue, because I have seen many slabbed cards with fake signatures. These are not certified cards in themselves, but they are signed cards and photos sent out to outside authenticators for signature verification by so-called experts. There was one very big grader that was popular for a while several years ago and has since closed up that I swear looked like it would certify anything that got sent in for the price.

As a collector you also have to know that a graded card that has an autograph is only guaranteeing that signature if it implicitly says that it is. Otherwise it is simply grading the card condition and is ignoring the signature altogether. There is no autograph guarantee there of any kind unless it is paid for separate from the condition grade.

Picture of Matthe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I don't see any problem with this autograph card being in the $400 range. You have a young, mega star signing on what appears to be a very limited licensed card. It's true that you never know when she might turn into a permanent convention guest or decide to wall paper her autographs, but given her stature as a serious and wealthy actress it is kind of unlikely that she will be hawking Hunger Game merchandise in her 50's.

Now she has an absolutely lousy autograph (initials) and I personally would not spend that kind of money on it. However that is how she signs and it should only be discounted if she has a "money signature" that she uses when she is in a good mood. I have not seen a legible signature from her yet, not even on the fakes Big Grin , and you'd better believe that the vast majority of her autographs offered are fakes. So that is another reason why this certified card should be worth it's price.

Now if someone could explain to me why the Susan Oliver cut signature card #1/13 in the Star Trek 50th Anniversary that just sold for $7,500 is worth it, that I would like to hear. Wink

What 50th Anniversary of Star Trek is this?? According to my information on the internet it will appear in december 2016 and the other series Star Trek 50 Artists 50 years have no autographs??

Posts: 16 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: March 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That was on the Star Trek 50th set by Rittenhouse that came out in March, I believe

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Matthe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
That was on the Star Trek 50th set by Rittenhouse that came out in March, I believe

The only one I found was released in August and was a suprise release (not announced) and these are 100 cards with drawnings and paintings by 50 artists. The title is 50Artists 50 years.

There are no Autographs here: www.wixiban.com

Posts: 16 | Location: Netherlands | Registered: March 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Check out the Rittenhouse website

The set that came out in March had 3 diff cut signature cards. The Oliver was one of them

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I don't know where you are looking Matthe, but the RA set was Star Trek The Original Series 50th Anniversary and it was released on March 18, 2016. It is on the RA website and you can see pictures of all the autograph cards, including the cut signatures for Oliver, Hunter and Ireland. It was I think a pretty popular release in part because of those big, rare hits.