Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  New Promo Card Releases    HUNGER GAMES PROMO CARDS W/ AUTOGRAPHS
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HUNGER GAMES PROMO CARDS W/ AUTOGRAPHS
 Login/Join

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted
Saw this on a licensing web-site

Walmart will feature an exclusive The Hunger Games two-disc movie gift set that includes a mockingjay pendant.

Fans who purchase the DVD at midnight this Friday will receive a special pack of collectible The Hunger Games trading cards; a select number of random packs will include an autographed card from one of the cast members.

Customers who pre-order the DVD online will have a chance to win a trip to Los Angeles to attend the The Hunger Games: Catching Fire premiere.

Posts: 971 | Location: WESTWOOD NJ | Registered: May 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doc Floyd
posted Hide Post
That sounds like a horrible way to release something.

My local stores most likely won't even be able to find the DVDs at midnight, and then if they do, any of the promos will already be gone out the back door.

Glad I'm not that into the series, I thought it was an OK movie, but not good enough to spend any money on merchandise from it.

Posts: 147 | Location: NC | Registered: October 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of John Oder
posted Hide Post
Here's a link where you can see if a store near you is having the event.

http://instoresnow.walmart.com...aspx?txtEventID=1017

Posts: 943 | Location: Jesup, GA 31546 | Registered: March 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
Excellent. I'm going to the movies Friday night from 8 to 10 pm anyways.
Then I'll trek over a couple of towns to where this promotion is going on.

I liked the movie, so this peaks my interest. Especially when there's autos involved.

I'll report back afterwards.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Freddy,

Posts: 1319 | Location: Rhode Island USA 02889 | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Oder:
Here's a link where you can see if a store near you is having the event.

http://instoresnow.walmart.com...aspx?txtEventID=1017

Thanks for the link, John.
Peace

Posts: 1319 | Location: Rhode Island USA 02889 | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I wonder who made the cards? That Jennifer Lawrence auto is gonna fetch a pretty penny!

Posts: 1567 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
The radius does not seem to extend to my house. Big Grin

Posts: 28997 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Maybe we should lobby Asda to get some as I think they are owned by Walmart.

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jason00
posted Hide Post
I will be heading to Walmart tonight to pick up the blu-ray, so I should get some of the cards. I would have to imagine signed cards are incredibly rare, but I will post photos if I get anything good.

Posts: 1562 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: November 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
I stood in line for 60 minutes to get the Rollback price {approx $3 off the regular retail price on either of the four options*} on this movie and a free pack of trading cards in the hope of getting an autographed card. Well, I struck-out with the "auto" card, but I knew my chances were very slim because the manager had one 800 count cardboard box filled with The Hunger Game packs and only ONE of those packs had the autographed card in there. Since I was one of the first I got to pick my pack, but later on, as the lines grew bigger, the packs were just handed out.

What really peeved me a little was, while waiting in line we were told by the manager that '..we could purchase the movie now for the regular retail price or wait for the Rollback price at midnight..' but when I got to the register at 1205 AM the bloody thing rang up at regular price.
I told the cashier to please take it back, because I don't want it at that price. She told me, "the gentleman in front of you just bought two of them for his daughters." I told her, "I don't have daughters and in a few months it'll be in your $5 bin", so I left with just my cards and a small bottle of diet Pepsi. Most excitement I've had on a Friday night in years. LOL

My brother had an even more disturbing time at his local Walmart, but I'll leave that story for him to tell. If he decides to tell it. We were texting each other back and forth during the "event".
I know, I know.....Nerds. LOL

In conclusion...I will never waste my time at one of these "events", again.

*movie options and their alleged Rollback prices:
Regular DVD $16.96
DVD with HG Pin $19.96
BR regular $24.96
BR with HG Pin $26.96

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Freddy,

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jason00
posted Hide Post
The store I went to couldn't find their cards, so I left. I want the Target exclusive blu-ray, anyway.

Posts: 1562 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: November 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason00:

The store I went to couldn't find their cards,

Coming to an ebay near you just about now. Big Grin

Posts: 28997 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:
Originally posted by Jason00:

The store I went to couldn't find their cards,

Coming to an ebay near you just about now. Big Grin

Wolfie,

My thoughts exactly.

Picture of ricrod
posted Hide Post
Has anyone seen any odds on this walmart exclusive stuff. Print runs, who all did the autos, etc. I do see on the front of the packs that it says 24 Premium Cards, so does that mean its a 24 card expansion set from the original because there are only 6 cards per pack....funky stuff and I can not find any info online...

Posts: 26 | Location: McKinney, TX, USA | Registered: November 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jason00
posted Hide Post
I went back to Walmart today with my wife for some household items, and asked the guy working in the media department if they had located the cards yet. He said he would look, and came back with a pack for me. This was the last card in the pack:

Needless to say, I did one of these: Elephant I am absolutely over the moon, I never expected to actually pull an autograph, let alone the second best pull in the set!

ricrod, to partially answer your question -- it does say 24 cards on the front, but the highest numbered card in my pack was #89.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jason00,

Picture of dstrohmeng
posted Hide Post
The picture in the ad shows card #87, so I assume the numbering picks up after the cards that came with the soundtrack?

Posts: 380 | Location: Buffalo | Registered: February 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ricrod:
Has anyone seen any odds on this walmart exclusive stuff. Print runs, who all did the autos, etc. I do see on the front of the packs that it says 24 Premium Cards, so does that mean its a 24 card expansion set from the original because there are only 6 cards per pack....funky stuff and I can not find any info online...

My brother said that he read somewhere that the odds were 1/50 packs. Until I see that in writing from NECA, I'll just consider that a good rumor.

The six common cards I pulled were : 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98.
93 & 94 are profile portrait shots of some actors.
95-98 are pics of the Capital City.

Picture of ricrod
posted Hide Post
From what I see listing on ebay its a 24 card set, cards numbered 82-105...I sent an email to NECA trying to find out the odds but nothing back, if they do I will post it up...I got lucky and pulled the Foxface auto, wish I had that Peeta, that one I bet is a $300 auto on the bay....

Posts: 26 | Location: McKinney, TX, USA | Registered: November 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Freddy~ Sorry you and your brother both had such bad experiences. That's a shame -- sounds like some of the Wal-Mart stores really blew it with this promotion.

Jason00~ Congrats!

Posts: 12994 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of miket999
posted Hide Post
My wife and I got to a Walmart that said they were participating about 10:30 pm. My wife called earlier in the day. They knew nothing about it at that time and went to ask a manager about the event and finally confirmed that the event was taking place starting at 11pm and that they had seen the cards so they knew they would have them.

At 11, we went to the Electronics Department and nothing was going on. Finally one of the workers started reading the paper work that they were sent for the event to see what they were supposed to do. At 11:15 nothing had started. A manager came up and made an announcement that the movies would be sold at the front of the store in the Money Center and for everyone to line up there around 11:50.

My wife and I were first in line, they brought in a cake but did not serve it really. They cut some pieces but had not offered it by the time the movie went on sale at 12:01 and they had it on the wrong side of the money center for anyone to get a piece after buying the video.

My wife and I each bought a DVD and each got a pack of cards. I figured out really quickly that there were 24 cards in this set and the packs had no more then 5 or 6 cards in it. So that meant you needed more than 1 pack to get the whole set. In fact you needed at least 4 packs with no duplicates.

We got out to the car and we opened both packs. No autograph cards in our packs, but I really did not expect to get one (Tilford's luck). At least I got 12 different cards - the lowest number was 82. I called my friend John Oder and he and I came to the conclusion that this had to be an expansion card set.

It is a shame they did not give collectors the opportunity to get all 24 cards. I guess I will have to try for the remaining 12 on Ebay.

I doubt I will attend these types of events again in the future. Walmart just was not prepared. Lot's of confusion, no events went on as advertised, and you can't get all of the offering.

Mike.

Posts: 5347 | Location: Warrenton, Virginia, USA | Registered: January 08, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post