Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  New Promo Card Releases    Topps Books with Cards
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Topps Books with Cards
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
New for 2022-- Jurassic Park

https://www.amazon.com/Jurassi...ok%2Caps%2C75&sr=8-2

This message has been edited. Last edited by: David R,

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
David

Many thanks for the link.

I looked on Amazon UK and found the following review by "Sc8lo"

"I think this is a random release but fun. I have a full collection of the Jurassic Park Topps series so this kind of works as a checklist. However, it is not comprehensive as it does not include the cards that came in the comic's at the time.

The biggest highlight is the 4 new trading cards included. 2 are reproductions of existing card's but the other 2 are brand new designs and its kinda exciting to think you can add 4 new cards to your collection after nearly 30 years."

So it looks as if it is worth acquiring.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
John, the company did a series of books from 2008 to 2018 or so, ALL of which came with exclusive Topps cards. Many were discussed here on Card Talk, but they are scattered about.

There were books on Stars Wars (at least 5), Star Trek, Bazooka Joe, Garbage Pail Kids, Wacky Packages, etc. The last one that I know of was a 2017 one for Planet of the Apes

I think this is the first new book in 5 years with Topps cards.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A quick check of Amazon lists the earlier Topps books with cards:

Wacky Packages (2008) (red cover)
Wacky Packages New New New! (2010) (blue cover)
Mars Attacks (2012)
Garbage Pail Kids (2012)
Bazooka Joe (2013)
Star Wars: the Original Topps Series (2015)
Star Wars Galaxy (2016)
Empire Strikes Back (2016)
Return of the Jedi (2016)
Planet of the Apes (2017)
Star Wars Widevision (2017)
Star Trek (2018)

All of these are on Amazon if you search by Topps

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thanks, David. I was afraid that Topps/Abrams had stopped doing these books. I will have to look for it. I have three of the Star Wars titles and I saw the Mars Attacks one a friend bought.

The Star Wars Galaxy volume didn't show all the promo cards either though the Star Wars Widevision book did for the first set.

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Here's the cards:

(The green border versions of the Mars Attacks cards are bonus items from a wall calendar of about 10 years ago, I think.)

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Thank You Guys. I was only aware of the Mars Attacks book which I have. I will have to a good look at the card images posted as it may help me choose.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Well, I guess I don't need to scan my cards, then.

I remember pulling the Kook sticker from my first pack of Wacky Packages I ever bought. I didn't keep it in mint condition. I stuck it on the desk in my room.

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I also have 4 other Garbage Pail Kids that came in one of the calendars. Maybe someone can help me post scans

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
On the 8 Wacky Packages in the scan above, 4 of them came with the 2010 calendar and the other 4 came in the 2010 book

Backs all say "For Promotional Use Only-Not For Resale"

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
Thank You Guys. I was only aware of the Mars Attacks book which I have. I will have to a good look at the card images posted as it may help me choose.

regards

John

Regarding your Mars Attacks book cards (white border), what edition does it say on the back of the card?

Posts: 114 | Location: Kansas | Registered: April 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Bond

Herewith back of A4 card as it still is in the original packaging.

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

regards

John

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David R:
On the 8 Wacky Packages in the scan above, 4 of them came with the 2010 calendar and the other 4 came in the 2010 book

Backs all say "For Promotional Use Only-Not For Resale"

The 8 Wackys shown come from the two books, with 4 cards per book. I never got the calendar, but it seems reasonable Topps would reuse the cards from one of the books (or the other way around) for a calendar release as they did the same thing with Mars Attacks.

My favorite of these cards are those done in the style of Topps 1976 Star Trek. Unlike many of the others, they're not reprints or vintage unpublished material, but instead feature new images that, for the first time, feature the Sulu character. He was not included in the original set.

I thought it was neat that the Star Wars Galaxy set featured a reprint of the famed "Lost Yoda" promo.

The Empire Strike Back book actually featured 5 cards, the only deviation from the normal 4 cards.

The GPK set is made of cards deemed too violent to publish back when, and its easy to see why.

I'm glad for this new Jurassic Park book, which I pre-ordered. Hopefully, it reinvigorates this book line and many more follow. There's certainly a lot of material available for use. I'd like to see the Happy Days, King Kong, Indiana Jones, PeeWee's Playhouse, E.T., and Good Times card sets get the treatment, to name just a few.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I looked again at my 8 Wackys, the ones in your scan.

4 of mine have blue backs and they are copyright 2009. It says in the text itself that they were "printed officially as stickers for the very first time for the second printing of the bestselling book Wacky Packages." But then underneath it says 2010 calendar ed.

The 4 with the green backs are 2010, and they came in the second book.

Are yours the same ?

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I don't have them handy, but I'll check.

I usually got these books at the Abrams Booth at Comic-Con, (advanced autographed copies discounted from retail price!), so the ones I have should all be first edition printings.

Besides the green borders that differentiate the Mars Attacks book and calendar cards, they are also labelled as "Calendar Edition" on the card reverse.

To promote the Jedi book, Abrams gave out a one-per-day set of really nice daily posters, but I only went 2 days that year, so I have just two different. I'll post up pictures of them once I can get them photographed.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Good Morning.

I received an email from Bond overnight in which he sent scans of the backs of five different versions of the Mars Attacks book promo cards. He gave me permission to post the scan . However I preferred to separate his scan into separate images to make the annotations easier.

Firstly the first edition although not stated as such shown in the image directly below:-

The second edition is marked as such in the bottom left hand corner as shown in the image directly below:-

The third edition is marked as such and again in the bottom left hand corner as shown in the image directly below:-

Bond is looking for the fourth edition set so can those who have the cards please check the back to see what version you have and let us know if Edition four and let us see the image. Thank You

The fifth edition shows a completely different logo for Abrams Comicarts and reference to the 5th edition is made in the copyright line above he logo as shown in the image directly below:-

The last card clearly states that it is the 2014 Calendar Edition as shown in the bottom left hand corner as shown in the image directly below:-

Note also it has a different copyright date.

Many thanks to Bond for advising us of the different editions and sending images to be scanned.

regards

John

Edit
Apologies for showing the wrong image and details about the 5th Edition.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JOHN LEVITT,

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here are the four Jurassic Book promos

regards

John

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Abrams is doing another book with cards and they're branching out from Topps to review Impel's "Uncanny X-Men" set from 1992 and it's going to be released in July. That will be cool if they're shifting over to a bunch of Marvel sets. Who knows what other sets they're thinking about.

https://www.abramsbooks.com/pr...cards_9781419757242/

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Did anyone pick up the X-Men book ?

Posts: 3994 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I pre-ordered it with my monthly comic book order some time ago, so hopefully, it'll be in the next shipment (which I usually get around the 10th of each month).