Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  New Promo Card Releases    Are the Gummy Cards considered Promos
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are the Gummy Cards considered Promos
 Login/Join

Picture of AWR
posted
I have a few Gummy Cards from Inkworks (Alias) and Rittenhouse (Battlestar Galactica). Have also seen some others (Morbid Monsters).

Would these be considered promos or special inserts. Also some came with a printed piece of paper - Would these also be considered promos

Also, does anybody have a complete list of Gummy Cards?

Posts: 382 | Location: Califon, NJ | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
They are promos. In the years we voted for the Gummie Awards (ballot cut out of an NSU issue late in the year) we'd get a card sent to us later as a thank you for voting. The paper that came with them wouldn't be a promo but collectors tend to keep those as well as sort of certificate.

Jess

Edit: I did a quick search of Card Talk and found a list plus a few notes made by Chesspieceface a few years ago:

"The list:

More Than Battlefield Earth (Comic Images 1994)
Star Trek Voyager (Skybox 1995)
The Lone Ranger (Dart 1996)
Babylon 5 (Fleer Skybox International 1997)
Star Wars Episode 1 (Topps 1998)
Charmed (Inkworks 1999)
More Morbid Monster Cards (NostalgiCards 2000)
Xena (Rittenhouse Archives 2001)
Alias (Inkworks 2002)
The Complete Battlestar Galactica (R.A. 2003)

The program was discontinued in 2004 for reasons that I don't think were ever made publicly known, but one could reasonably gather that it might have to do with people not following the rules of one card to a voter. Hard to say for sure, though."

quote:
Originally posted by AWR:
I have a few Gummy Cards from Inkworks (Alias) and Rittenhouse (Battlestar Galactica). Have also seen some others (Morbid Monsters).

Would these be considered promos or special inserts. Also some came with a printed piece of paper - Would these also be considered promos

Also, does anybody have a complete list of Gummy Cards?

Posts: 4400 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here are some additional notes on the Gummie promos:

More Than Battlefield Earth (Comic Images 1994) unnumbered - This one comes up for sale occasionally. It sells roughly in the $20-35 range.

Star Trek Voyager Season 1 (Skybox 1995) unnumbered - This is probably the most valuable one because it's still in-demand. Promo card collectors and Star Trek card collectors in general want it. It has sold in the $150-200 range.
Edit: one sale in 2021 at $129.

The Lone Ranger (Dart 1996) unnumbered - This one has gone up and down and up again in value. It sold for $15-20 in 2021 but you can find a cheaper one if you watch for it.

Babylon 5 Season 4 (Fleer Skybox International 1997) unnumbered - This one sells pretty regularly for about $90-100.

Star Wars Episode 1 (Topps 1998) SW0 - You would think this would be among the more valuable Gummies but it seems a lot more people voted to get this card so a lot of people who wanted it got it then. It goes for about $30-40.

Charmed (Inkworks 1999) NSU-1 - This one was in-demand 10-20 years ago, but after Inkworks went out of business, more appeared on the market. It's maybe a $10-20 card now though I found one for $7 last year.

More Morbid Monster Cards (NostalgiCards 2000) G1 - This one has been one of the easier ones to find selling in the $5-10 range but I saw one go for $35 recently. We'll have to see if that's a real indication of an increase in value or just an outlier, someone not knowing the market on that one.

Xena Season 6 (Rittenhouse Archives 2001) Gummie 2001 - This one goes for about $25-30.

Alias Season 1 (Inkworks 2002) G1 - For some reason there are always several of these for sale at any given time and for as low as a buck a piece.
Edit: It's been going for $3-4 though sellers still offer lots of more than 10 cards at about a buck or two per card.

The Complete Battlestar Galactica (R.A. 2003) Gummie 2003 - This one doesn't come up all the time and it sells in relatively low range given the popularity of the show. I saw one sell for $35 a few years ago but it might be more of a $40-60 card.

The values provided are based on what I've seen in recent years. Some cards have gone for more or less in that time, so as with any collectibles, use those numbers as reference points and try to determine others yourself to get your own idea of what you should expect to pay.

Jess

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4400 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
PCE 2008 lists the Star Wars Episode 1 card as part of the Star Wars Galaxy Collector magazine issue (page 139) which is a bit strange if given out as a NSU Gummie award. Presumeably the card numbering influenced the listing.

In addition PCE 2008 (page39) states that the first Gummie award was six Creator's Universe promo cards, would they have been the normal issue promos or the variants of P1 and Warhorse?

regards

John

Posts: 2121 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi John,

I missed your question. I'm not sure but I think the variants with the reversed/upside-down backs were among the cards given out by NSU. You got one or the other but maybe David or someone else has a clear memory of that.

The funny thing is I have just the reversed back variants of Warhorse, Stronghold, and The Silencer.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
PCE 2008 lists the Star Wars Episode 1 card as part of the Star Wars Galaxy Collector magazine issue (page 139) which is a bit strange if given out as a NSU Gummie award. Presumeably the card numbering influenced the listing.

In addition PCE 2008 (page39) states that the first Gummie award was six Creator's Universe promo cards, would they have been the normal issue promos or the variants of P1 and Warhorse?

regards

John

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A Battlestar Galactica Gummie sold for $39.99 on April 27.

Alias Gummies have been going for $3-5 with one sale at $37.37.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I think this thread should be moved to the General Promo category as it's about promos from the late 90's - early 2000's.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A Battlestar Galactica Gummie from "The Complete Battlestar Galactica" set (Rittenhouse Archives, 2003) sold for $59.99 on June 16; another went for $52.99 on August 6.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The Lone Ranger Gummie promo continues to be tough to value. It was a $3-5 card for years but then it started selling in the $10-20 range a few years ago for some reason. Last month, one went up for auction and sold for just $4.99 with one bid. Several recent auctions starting at $30 and up have ended without a bid.