Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nightmare Alley
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted
Cards in the Blu-Ray for the 1947 version:

link

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
ADDED SPOILER WARNING - Thanks for the tip. I can't actually recall the Tarot cards being used much in the original, but they must have been. Del Toro does have them in his version.

I think you will find a big difference between movies, but only because Del Toro wanted to keep it faithful to the novel and was also more interested in creating the whole look. The cinematography of the new movie is getting a lot of praise.

So is the acting, but these characters are all very noir and that is a problem. Personally Power was a better fit for the part of Stan to me because he was playing against type and was handsome at 33 years old. Cooper is 46 and looks passed the wandering drifter stage from the start.

The original is worth seeing if you like old movies, but you can see where it wraps up abruptly after they changed the ending. It was Power's favorite role, but he hated the final edited cut. The studio insisted when test audiences complained, but in 1947 they expected happy endings. It still wasn't a hit at all, but it attained a certain cult status later on from film noir lovers.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Why did you lead with "ADDED SPOILER WARNING"?

neither you nor I spoiled anything . . .

Posts: 2202 | Location: Huntsville, AL United States | Registered: November 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Hey Bill,

Had nothing to do with you or with your thread, it was my post I was worried about. Because I mentioned the difference in the endings, you can kind of figure out the ending in the current film. I didn't want to spoil it for those who want to watch it cold, so I said there is a spoiler here in my comments.

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post