Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

WonderCon Promos
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
I was also there, but was too busy and too tired to look for cards, even though I was going to find a dealer that should have had the Mars Attack most recent promo.

I was very happy with the art I bought. I did refuse one commission that I was not happy with, and one was not finished yet for pick up.

There were lots of good artists. Lots of cosplay if your into that. Otherwise, for me, the show sucked big time. I personally consider it the worse show I had ever attended.

Pamphlet had so many errors in it. Their face book rep gave be a big line of you know what. And the help there was no good at helping me decipher the mistakes in the pamphlet.

The area seemed not all that big to me. I've been to this show before, but a long time ago, so maybe I'm just forgetful.

Here's a little history behind the Big Wow! Comic Fest as I know it.

Big Wow! was SuperCon there in San Jose.
Before that it was SuperCon in Oakland.
The owners of SuperCon owned WonderCon in Oakland.
They sold WonderCon to ComiCon and ComiCon moved it to San Francisco.
A few years after the sale, SuperCon was in the old WonderCon location in Oakland.
I had not attended SuperCon/Big Wow! after they moved to San Jose until last Saturday. And that may be the last time.

I attended it only because of the artists and I timed it with my vacation. Vacation, artists, and actors in the right combination would be the only way I ever set foot into that show again. BTW, I mailed them the ECCC/SuperCon exclusive promo, Heroes, and they did not hand them out, so I was told. Never did hear what really happened to them.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I was going to say it was Super-Con but wasn't sure. That was a tiny show. I think I remember one of the guys at Big WoW from the Super-Con days.

I went to Wonder-Con in the mid-late 90's when it was in Oakland - picked up a couple of the Dark Horse signing cards I had missed.

I don't see myself going to that show again either unless something special is going on. If a show is going to charge $20 for admission, there has to be some freebies. I did find a couple of promos (Deadly Creatures lenticular, Semi-Pro 3-card set) I didn't have.

quote:
Originally posted by Tattoox:
I was also there, but was too busy and too tired to look for cards, even though I was going to find a dealer that should have had the Mars Attack most recent promo.

I was very happy with the art I bought. I did refuse one commission that I was not happy with, and one was not finished yet for pick up.

There were lots of good artists. Lots of cosplay if your into that. Otherwise, for me, the show sucked big time. I personally consider it the worse show I had ever attended.

Pamphlet had so many errors in it. Their face book rep gave be a big line of you know what. And the help there was no good at helping me decipher the mistakes in the pamphlet.

The area seemed not all that big to me. I've been to this show before, but a long time ago, so maybe I'm just forgetful.

Here's a little history behind the Big Wow! Comic Fest as I know it.

Big Wow! was SuperCon there in San Jose.
Before that it was SuperCon in Oakland.
The owners of SuperCon owned WonderCon in Oakland.
They sold WonderCon to ComiCon and ComiCon moved it to San Francisco.
A few years after the sale, SuperCon was in the old WonderCon location in Oakland.
I had not attended SuperCon/Big Wow! after they moved to San Jose until last Saturday. And that may be the last time.

I attended it only because of the artists and I timed it with my vacation. Vacation, artists, and actors in the right combination would be the only way I ever set foot into that show again. BTW, I mailed them the ECCC/SuperCon exclusive promo, Heroes, and they did not hand them out, so I was told. Never did hear what really happened to them.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Now that the Pacific Rim movie has opened in the theaters, and done poorly, will the promo cards be less desirable ? Maybe I can pick up a set cheaply...

Posts: 3992 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Now that the Pacific Rim movie has opened in the theaters, and done poorly, will the promo cards be less desirable ? Maybe I can pick up a set cheaply...

You're the second one I have heard this from today. Several friends on facebook said it was really good, so I went, even though I had talked myself out of it last month. My wife and I really enjoyed it.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post