Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  New Promo Card Releases    Melty Misfits Promo Cards
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Melty Misfits Promo Cards
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
This is fascinating stuff and I'm wondering if you guys knew much about this street artist called Buff Monster and his deal with eBay. I mean I have no idea what's going on with these cards, but it looks like they are trying to say he's the next Banksy. I don't know who would pay thousands for Melty Misfit cards, but then I don't know who would pay millions for a Banksy either. If eBay got involved in this, don't expect them to say the bidding is not legit. A few actual facts might be helpful here. Big Grin

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The back of the promo card mentions there is a new series coming in October on ebay. Considering ebay is a publicly traded company perhaps they are expanding into partnerships with smaller retailers like this?

Posts: 70 | Location: New York | Registered: September 18, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aeolus14ummbra:
Wow, really? I don't know, maybe most people have better taste in what they collect than what you do? Regardless, thanks for your astute observation and insightful contribution to the discussion!

P.S. Have you ever considered switching to Sanka?

You weren't contributing to the discussion either, so why are you taking that attitude? How many people actually collect this product?

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, what is going on with these cards?

I have had a series 1 promo p3 listed on Ebay for like 2 years now and nothing. I think I got the card in my dealer packet at the Philly show back when.

I wake up this morning to it being sold for $71.99- which I didn't even realize it was listed for that amount- or that I even had it listed at all for that matter it's been so long- and not 30 minutes later I am asked to cancel the sale.

The excuse- "I didn't realize it was a promo."
It only says right in the title and description "PROMO".

I decided to do a little research and found this thread.

I think there is definitely something going on with these that is not kosher.

Market manipulation? Not sure. Are 17 promo cards really selling for almost $11k?

All I know is if Ebay buyer sixpennykelo buys any that you might have- be prepared to get a cancel request.

Posts: 67 | Location: NC | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Follow-up

Definitely something going on with these.

The buyer who canceled just left me a positive feedback for the transaction even though he canceled.

Some sort of game is being played with these.

Posts: 67 | Location: NC | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It sold for $10,707, 55 bids total with a new bidder coming in with just under 3 hours to go to take it.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cubby5454:
So, what is going on with these cards?

I wake up this morning to it being sold for $71.99- which I didn't even realize it was listed for that amount- or that I even had it listed at all for that matter it's been so long- and not 30 minutes later I am asked to cancel the sale.

The excuse- "I didn't realize it was a promo."
It only says right in the title and description "PROMO".

I decided to do a little research and found this thread.

I think there is definitely something going on with these that is not kosher.

Market manipulation? Not sure. Are 17 promo cards really selling for almost $11k?

All I know is if Ebay buyer sixpennykelo buys any that you might have- be prepared to get a cancel request.

This is VERY strange!
I got a cancel request from the same buyer you list and it was the same type of language "I didn't know it was a promo" on the Melty Misfits I listed after seeing the huge numbers that auction was attracting. Since I don't collect promos made after 2008, and this franchise was released 2012/14, it was an easy decision to part with them, after having found them in a collection I bought.
Also, I'm very curious to find out exactly how this rather obscure trading card company, got a front page banner on Ebay.

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
This is what I was saying but some people don’t have the sense they were born with I believe one of them is from Dallas.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
Also, I'm very curious to find out exactly how this rather obscure trading card company, got a front page banner on Ebay.

I'm bad with links, but eBay.com/StayMelty is where people were directed to go to buy a limited 350 edition of card packs for Melty Misfits. That's why the banner came up. You can also Google to the article that talks about the collaboration between "street artist, illustrator and typographer" Buff Monster and eBay.

Whatever the deal is, these eBay prices for Melty Misfits promos and cards have suddenly appeared. Coincidence or mass hysteria or something else? Big Grin Don't know. I never heard of any of it.

Posts: 10380 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

This is VERY strange!
I got a cancel request from the same buyer you list and it was the same type of language "I didn't know it was a promo" on the Melty Misfits I listed after seeing the huge numbers that auction was attracting. Since I don't collect promos made after 2008, and this franchise was released 2012/14, it was an easy decision to part with them, after having found them in a collection I bought.

Did the second buyer go through ok?
I was not sure about relisting the card, but if there are legitimate buyers I will.

Thanks.

posted Hide Post
I did a little checking and it looks like the person who canceled his purchase is the same person who won the $16,000 set. Hopefully he doesn’t contact that seller and cancel because he thought they WERE promo cards! And why is this person going around buying singles while playing in a big buck auction?

As far as the banner goes most likely either paid for or a partnership.

Now to digest it all. I do my homework when buying a $20.00 item. So how is it people are bidding up that set to $16,000 when simple research would show the same seller sold them for around $500.00 a few days before? If the bids were less than honorable and something untoward took place the seller is out $5000.00 or so in fees. Sounds like a lot. But remember there will be new boxes coming in October. Exclusive to ebay. If 500 are sold easily because of the new interest in these cards that’s a nice 50 G or so.

Maybe I am over analyzing this. But we are a very small community that can notice a $50 Star Wars card suddenly sell for $75. So yeah, $500 to $16,000 raises our eyebrows.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kevins,

Posts: 70 | Location: New York | Registered: September 18, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevins:
I did a little checking and it looks like the person who canceled his purchase is the same person who won the $16,000 set. Hopefully he doesn’t contact that seller and cancel because he thought they WERE promo cards! And why is this person going around buying singles while playing in a big buck auction?

As far as the banner goes most likely either paid for or a partnership.

Now to digest it all. I do my homework when buying a $20.00 item. So how is it people are bidding up that set to $16,000 when simple research would show the same seller sold them for around $500.00 a few days before? If the bids were less than honorable and something untoward took place the seller is out $5000.00 or so in fees. Sounds like a lot. But remember there will be new boxes coming in October. Exclusive to ebay. If 500 are sold easily because of the new interest in these cards that’s a nice half a million or so.

Maybe I am over analyzing this. But we are a very small community that can notice a $50 Star Wars card suddenly sell for $75. So yeah, $500 to $16,000 raises our eyebrows.

I don't think the same person won the $16k listing. The feedback numbers don't match up. They are close, but not the same.

posted Hide Post
Sorry if I jumped the gun on the buyer. But something still seems amiss on the whole market.

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:

You can also Google to the article that talks about the collaboration between "street artist, illustrator and typographer" Buff Monster and eBay.

Whatever the deal is, these eBay prices for Melty Misfits promos and cards have suddenly appeared. Coincidence or mass hysteria or something else? Big Grin Don't know. I never heard of any of it.

Thanks Raven,
So this WAS a legitimate cross promotion between Ebay and Buff Monster. Holy s**t!!!!!! these may well be real prices achieved. Whether any one actually pays for that auction is a different question. The story continues..

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There is now a Melty Misfits JUMBO Series promo P1, going for crazy prices like the promos from the earlier sets.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They just released the Jumbo Series the other day. Looks like it was another ebay exclusive with only 200 boxes produced. Curious to see if these end up going for crazy prices.