Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  New Promo Card Releases    Melty Misfits Promo Cards
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Melty Misfits Promo Cards
 Login/Join

posted
Has anyone seen the current auction for a set of Melty Misfits Promo Cards on ebay? They are over $1200 with 5 days left! Crazy! Wonder if the bidders are legit? Maybe the start of a Promo Card craze that will result in values similar to that 2009 Mike Trout baseball card. If so, glad to be a part of our new millionaires club.

Posts: 70 | Location: New York | Registered: September 18, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
I did a little sleuthing. The seller has been an ebay member for only 1 month. All they sell are Melty Misfits cards, not just the promos. To me, they seem to be the card manufacturers themselves establishing their presence on ebay. They've had some very nice sales already. I didn't know Melty was such a popular release I actually think the characters are really cool looking. I like them!

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
And from what I can see, the auction does not have the "rare" variant of the Series 1 promo where the ice cream is blue

The auction seems to consist of a previously unknown Norwegian promo and a new P1

Packs of the new stickers with this new P1 went on sale on ebay on Monday, and now they are all gone

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'm suspicious of anything that gets a bunch of bids early particularly if it's a group of promo cards for a set that's not that old. There's also a signed set of base cards with 10 variations at $830 (12 bids) and all the complete base sets at $872 (17 bids).

Is this one of those things that has sort of a following in the U.S. but it's huge in Japan?

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Kevins:
Has anyone seen the current auction for a set of Melty Misfits Promo Cards on ebay? They are over $1200 with 5 days left! Crazy! Wonder if the bidders are legit? Maybe the start of a Promo Card craze that will result in values similar to that 2009 Mike Trout baseball card. If so, glad to be a part of our new millionaires club.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Set is “only” at $9007.00. Lead bidder has 36 feedbacks so we can take it all with a grain of salt. For now. The theories offered make perfect sense. But still! Now to figure out how to convince all of you my 2008 Topps Star Wars Promo Card is a $500+ item!

Posts: 70 | Location: New York | Registered: September 18, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There were a lot of bids by people with not much feedback including at least two with just 1 and then someone with over 600 came in. It'll be interesting to see how this ends.

Jess

quote:
Set is “only” at $9007.00. Lead bidder has 36 feedbacks so we can take it all with a grain of salt. For now. The theories offered make perfect sense. But still! Now to figure out how to convince all of you my 2008 Topps Star Wars Promo Card is a $500+ item!

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And now it’s up higher but suddenly the bidder with 600 feedbacks is gone. Something doesn’t smell right. Now thinking my 2008 SW promo is not paying my mortgage for September

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
How does someone who made two bids just disappear? Does that qualify as an X-File? Ebay will allow it. It's already figuring its take on a $9000-plus final price.

quote:
And now it’s up higher but suddenly the bidder with 600 feedbacks is gone. Something doesn’t smell right. Now thinking my 2008 SW promo is not paying my mortgage for September

posted Hide Post
Okay I have to confess I am enjoying watching these auctions. The complete set of all regular cards is at $8400.00. A bidder with 500 feedbacks retracted his bid of $33,000.00. Think it was up to $14,000.00 when he retracted. Promos almost at $10,000.00 with our new leader having a whopping 0 feedbacks. I saw an article where it mentioned there were 330 of the special packs talked about and it looks like this is being done as part of a promotion between the company and ebay. So while that may explain seemingly more action than one would expect on an obscure item like this it doesn’t explain the insanity of prices.

Picture of AWR
posted Hide Post
Looking at the individual Melty Misfits for sale, are they really that rare? I picked up a few at the Philly Show over the years, and placed them in a binder with other miscellaneous promos. Now I need to take a look and see if its worth it to sell them and make a few bucks

Posts: 382 | Location: Califon, NJ | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I think i would run a mile from this alledged auction. Elephant

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The only one I ever saw go for big bucks was the blue variant on the Series 1 P1 promo. Years ago, when that first came out, I actually saw some sell on ebay for $ 50 to $ 100.

That auction has a "Norwegian" promo, so maybe that is rare. Smile

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'm going to dig through a couple of boxes later to see if I have any. The promo set pierced $10K yesterday with 62 bids. Are tech CEO's and celebrities getting in on the action?

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by AWR:
Looking at the individual Melty Misfits for sale, are they really that rare? I picked up a few at the Philly Show over the years, and placed them in a binder with other miscellaneous promos. Now I need to take a look and see if its worth it to sell them and make a few bucks

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I emailed the seller and they claim that the new P1 (which is part of that auction) was only available with the pack of the new cards that went on sale on ebay on Monday, and sold out immediately. Around 500 or so made.

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
No way who cares about this set I doubt there are 50 people who care about this set and that is probably a high number the major manufacturers can’t get enough support for mainstream licenses why are people even discussing this?

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aeolus14ummbra
posted Hide Post
Wow, really? I don't know, maybe most people have better taste in what they collect than what you do? Regardless, thanks for your astute observation and insightful contribution to the discussion!

P.S. Have you ever considered switching to Sanka?

Posts: 285 | Location: Dallas, TX USA | Registered: July 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batman:

No way who cares about this set why are people even discussing this?

Well obviously somebody does as it's selling and we are talking about it. Personally i don't believe the cards are selling for this amount whatever the auction says.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let’s all pretend for a second the bidding is legit. We are looking at record breaking numbers for modern era base sets and promo cards. I did see some of the packs with the promo cards are up. People are asking a lot obviously trying to piggyback the auctions. If these don’t sell at the asking prices we’ll have a clearer picture as to what is really happening.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Right. Something that used to happen on Ebay a lot is an item getting bid into the stratosphere by two bidders with a sniper duel at the end with sometimes a last-second third bidder being the winner. Somebody watching the auction decides to offer the same thing the following week but it doesn't get a bid, or worse for him, it goes for ten bucks.

Yeah, those other people aren't getting the banner Ebay is running on the home page after tomorrow morning but they were smart to post their items before it disappeared as it does allow them to ride the edge of all that promotion.

Jess

quote:
Let’s all pretend for a second the bidding is legit. We are looking at record breaking numbers for modern era base sets and promo cards. I did see some of the packs with the promo cards are up. People are asking a lot obviously trying to piggyback the auctions. If these don’t sell at the asking prices we’ll have a clearer picture as to what is really happening.

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
The interest in these from the get-go was no doubt encouraged by the banner advertisement for them that has been prominently featured on Ebay's home page for nearly a week now.

Rittenhouse Archives had the same kind of promotional opportunity a few weeks ago and it helped them to sell hundreds of those Umbrella Academy 9 card sets that, without that extra juice, might have sold fifty sets as a regular listing.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post