Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  New Promo Card Releases    Force Friday Disney Store
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Force Friday Disney Store
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
Today is "Force Friday," the day a lot of "The Force Awakens" toys and other merchandise is being released. Cards are also being given away.

http://www.starwars.com/news/force-friday-event-guide

I went to a Disney Store today but the employee I talked to said the cards are being given only to kids participating in event activities. At some point I think they'll start giving them to people who ask.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Today is "Force Friday," the day a lot of "The Force Awakens" toys and other merchandise is being released. Cards are also being given away.

I went to a Disney Store today but the employee I talked to said the cards are being given only to kids participating in event activities. At some point I think they'll start giving them to people who ask.

Catskilleagle,

That Disney Store Cast Member should be fired on the spot for telling you, 'only kids can participate in their Star Wars Events.' There are no age limits when it comes to Disney, especially when it comes to the adults that are the ones buying their products {e.g.; movies, t-shirts, toys, and especially the 5K some of us just dropped for a week of fun at WD World LOL}
This past Saturday I took my wife and son up to Braintree, MA {just south of Boston} and all three of us participated in the SW Event {drawing BB-8} and we got a few cards for doing it.
so don't let them sh*t you!

Freddy

Posts: 1319 | Location: Rhode Island USA 02889 | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Artist
posted Hide Post
Freddy,
I can't say any better! "especially when it comes to the adults that are the ones buying their products." I asked the so call cast member this past Saturday. You know what she told me, she don't know anything about giving out free Star Wars trading card. I just walk out. After I spend all that money over years buying like you said movies, t-shirts, toys for my kids and now the cast member said that to me. This is no promotions or celebration. It call disappointment.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Artist,

Posts: 231 | Location: South of the border, TX, USA | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of stevetrek
posted Hide Post
My luck was much better. I asked and we went to the register where there was a box of the cards. The cast member pulled one of each and gave me a Star Wars clip.

Posts: 900 | Location: IL | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
Wow, I wasn't that lucky (and couldn't be, we have no Disney Store out here), but I did get a set for $20 online (and I've already got it here, so they shipped fast!) which looks to be a very good deal.
Even so, free is better. Big congrats on the good fortune!

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
A lot of begging and an hour drive got me a set. The store near me told me they did not even know what I was talking about. THIS WAS NOT AN OUTLET STORE WHICH I KNOW DOES NOT HAVE THEM. I was lucky to get one set. It really bothers me that so many of these are for just kids when we all know it's just a marketing tool to get the adults into the stores to spend $. How many little kids at D23? I have no idea but Disney knows adults collect. Now if someone could help me complete my trivia cards or D23 cards that would be cool.

Posts: 971 | Location: WESTWOOD NJ | Registered: May 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
So these 8 new Disney Store promos come in 2 versions-- physical cards and digital ?

I see digital sets selling cheaply, but the actual cards with high asking prices

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Freddy,

Yeah, that's what I was thinking but I assumed she was just telling me the policy. I have never been to a store when they were having an event. I get the feeling there is some turnover in these stores so not everyone knows the rules nor is paying attention.

The thing about the cards is that they are designed to pay homage to the original Topps cards which would likely not be recognized by a child but would be by their parents or even grandparents. These look like cards for everybody.

I will have to try again next week.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Freddy:
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:

Catskilleagle,

That Disney Store Cast Member should be fired on the spot for telling you, 'only kids can participate in their Star Wars Events.' There are no age limits when it comes to Disney, especially when it comes to the adults that are the ones buying their products {e.g.; movies, t-shirts, toys, and especially the 5K some of us just dropped for a week of fun at WD World LOL}
This past Saturday I took my wife and son up to Braintree, MA {just south of Boston} and all three of us participated in the SW Event {drawing BB-8} and we got a few cards for doing it.
so don't let them sh*t you!

Freddy

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aeolus14ummbra
posted Hide Post
Really? Someone should lose their job because of a silly little trading card? Geez, no wonder people are leaving the hobby by the busload; heaven forbid that a CHILD actually receives one of these cards. Don't get me wrong, I like the promo stuff as much (or more) as the next collector, but it's just a HOBBY after all folks. Maybe it's time to just chill out a bit and consider switching to Sanka...sigh

Posts: 285 | Location: Dallas, TX USA | Registered: July 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Freddy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aeolus14ummbra:
Really? Someone should lose their job because of a silly little trading card? Geez, no wonder people are leaving the hobby by the busload; heaven forbid that a CHILD actually receives one of these cards. Don't get me wrong, I like the promo stuff as much (or more) as the next collector, but it's just a HOBBY after all folks. Maybe it's time to just chill out a bit and consider switching to Sanka...sigh

I was basically kidding, but now that I think about it...maybe they just needs a good talking to, because Disney is supposed to be for the 'Kids In All Of Us', not just people below the age of 13.

Posts: 1319 | Location: Rhode Island USA 02889 | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been to my local store 3 times. First time I got 2 cards and had to beg. Next time 5 days later they told me they never got them and gave me 4 packs of Series 1 2014 May The Fourth. Back 2 days later and they said yes they have them and bought out a full box of what looked like 500 of them and made a set for me. So worked out fine. Each time there were different employees there so could be a case of not everyone knows about it or have different views on how to distribute them. Bottom line, keep trying!

Posts: 70 | Location: New York | Registered: September 18, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of EriktheArchitect
posted Hide Post
I asked on Saturday Dec 19 if they had any promos for the movie release. I was told that they didn't have anything but had some left over cards from Force Friday. This is what they gave me.

Are these part of the new set?

Posts: 1162 | Location: Just NW of Hazzard County Georgia USA | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of chesspieceface
posted Hide Post
That's the fourth and final version of 8 card promo set, the very first cards ever made for the new movie.

The first version was 4 of the cards in random ESB Illustrated boxes and the other 4 in the SDCC Marvel "Lando" Promo comic. These have a flat, rough (Heritage style) surface. This is the hardest one to make, mostly due to the 4 from the ESB Illustrated boxes. Only a limited part of the run held them, and there's no way to know what sealed boxes held them, and many of those boxes remain unsold, and thus, unopened.

The second version is 4 of the cards in random Revenge of the Sith 3D boxes and the other 4 found one per case in Star Wars chrome Jedi Vs. Sith. These have a flat, smooth (matte) surface. There are probably a few hundred of each of these.

The third version is also from Star Wars chrome Jedi Vs. Sith, but all 8 cards, found at a rate one per box. These have a chromium surface, and are easiest to identify, most plentiful, and cheapest to buy. There are probably a few thousand of each of these.

The fourth and final version is easy to identify thanks to the prominent yellow Disney store logo in the upper corner. You do have a full set there, congrats!

They were originally made by Lucasfilm in early 2015 as digital only images for Entertainment Weekly magazine to reveal for the first time the names of Rey, Finn, and Kylo Ren, and were so well received that the four printed versions were ultimately made.

If anything, they are promos for the "Journey to the Force Awakens" set as cards very similar to them do appear in that set, although with differences, especially on the reverse side.

Posts: 3318 | Location: California | Registered: December 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I never saw any of these cards at local Disney Stores. Apparently, they gave them all out at the events. I was in a Disney store today and they were completely out of any of the cards. Last month, they still had some of the packs from last year and they gave me a few of those. At least I was able to build a set of those with some packs left over.

quote:
Originally posted by EriktheArchitect:
I asked on Saturday Dec 19 if they had any promos for the movie release. I was told that they didn't have anything but had some left over cards from Force Friday. This is what they gave me.

Are these part of the new set?

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of EriktheArchitect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chesspieceface:
That's the fourth and final version of 8 card promo set, the very first cards ever made for the new movie...

Thanks for the info.

Posts: 1162 | Location: Just NW of Hazzard County Georgia USA | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post