Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  New Promo Card Releases    The Guild (Cryptozoic)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Guild (Cryptozoic)
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
According to the company's Facebook page, they gave out "special promo trading cards" at the WoW Insider/Wowhead Blizz Con party

Anyone see these or have any info on them ?

Posts: 4009 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SBelcher
posted Hide Post
Scott just mentioned it in the News section
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Gaeta:
FYI - we are giving away a few of The Guild promo cards that were given away at the WOW Insider Party here in California a few weeks ago on our Facebook page.

Check it out here:

CZE Facebook

Posts: 281 | Location: Indiana | Registered: April 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Does anyone have more info on these ? The Facebook page doesn't really say much.

Haven't seen the promos anywhere...

Posts: 4009 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Has anyone been able to find these ? I have not. I haven't seen any on ebay nor do I know of any dealers that have them. I emailed Cryptozoic and was told that they were only for conventions, and they're not willing to send them out to collectors. Frown

Yes, I saw the Facebook contest, but I guess I wasn't a winner...

Posts: 4718 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of william291077
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

I believe they were given to some players of the WoW Trading Card Game at Blizzcon.

I have asked a couple of my friends about it, waiting to hear a response.

I will keep you posted if I get any information.

TTFN

Posts: 457 | Location: Glasgow, United Kingdom | Registered: August 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doc Floyd
posted Hide Post
It's quite obvious they dropped the ball with this promo release. Doubtful if many people interested in CCGs want trading cards, they want something they can use to play with, not just collect.

Posts: 147 | Location: NC | Registered: October 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Floyd:
It's quite obvious they dropped the ball with this promo release. Doubtful if many people interested in CCGs want trading cards, they want something they can use to play with, not just collect.

I agree with you Doc, very disappointed about how they went about it. I have yet to see one on ebay either.
I wish I didn't know about the promo at all. As now I know there is a card out there that I would really love to have (and as I'm one of those that likes to have a master set) and have absolutely no way of getting one, and I don't even know what it looks like Confused Twak

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Floyd:

Not sure I agree with you about the CCG people not being interested in the promo cards. Seems to me that gamers are a huge target audience for this release (since the Guild revolves around gamers). There are plenty of people that aren't necessarily trading card collectors but they will buy or collect cards for shows or movies they like.
However... I do agree that it would have been nice if there was a promo released outside of a gaming show. A promo in a NSU issue (or at the next Philly show) would be nice. Smile

Posts: 1343 | Location: Frederick, MD USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I wish someone at Cryptozoic would at least post a scan of the promo on Card Talk so that we would know what the promo looks like.

Too bad it was given away at such an obscure show. Hope they don't do that again in the future. It makes it frustrating for collectors

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Juelle Lou
posted Hide Post
I understand the point of giving out the promo to CCG people to get them interested in a product they might not normally be, but to make it exclusive to that one show seems unfair to me.
Why didn't they make more of the one promo for the set so far and release it also at a show for non-sport collectors? So people who will certainly be buying the product are less important than people who might?
Announcing here that they gave out a promo at "BlizzCon" and have a 'Few' leftover that they will give away on their Facebook page was just teasing us Shake Head They didn't even say who won those either.
This may sound a bit extreme, but it has certainly lessened my enthusiasm for this set, and the company for that matter.

Posts: 1512 | Location: Australia | Registered: October 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kennywood:
Obviously, the purpose of a promo card is to promote an upcoming card set. If this particular promo card gets gamers interested in a set of non-gaming cards, all the better. We could use all the new blood in our hobby that we can get.

While I would love to be able to get one of these cards, I think it's a smart move on Cryptozoic's part to try to get gamers interested in a set of cards they might not otherwise have considered.

Agree a smart move but also a bit daft to make it exclusive to a non-card collecting audience and exclude the market that already collects - and who are looking for the promo's

Posts: 12158 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Juelle Lou:

and have a 'Few' leftover that they will give away on their Facebook page was just teasing us Shake Head They didn't even say who won those either.

I've entered these things on facebook and even been told i have won but i have never recieved anything. Frown

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:

I've entered these things on facebook and even been told i have won but i have never recieved anything. Frown

I think we both "won" the same comp!!!!

Posts: 12158 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:

I think we both "won" the same comp!!!!

Me too!!! Roll Eyes

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Tommy, someone I know showed me a picture of the Guild promo, so I have seen what it looks like. It is numbered P1 and the front is a photo of six people, men and women, dressed in costumes. I don't know the characters, so I am not sure who they are. The back advertises the card set.

Posts: 4718 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Manufacturer
Picture of Scott Gaeta
posted Hide Post
Hi all,

I just wanted to chime in here quickly and give you some insight into our strategy behind The Guild and promotional cards in general.

First off we chose The Guild because we love the show and it presented a unique opportunity to reach new fans that would have a lot of potential in crossing over into the card collecting hobby. Distributing a promo card for The Guild at BlizzCon was like promoting a Disney card set at Disneyland. The Guild was inspired by Felicia's experience playing World of Warcraft and her show's viewers are largely MMO players. BlizzCon has 30,000 attendees who paid $175 to get in. These are "fans" (fanatics)in the truest sense of the word and a great audience to expose to the hobby. We want those people to join our hobby!

As a collector I understand the frustration with not easily being able to get everything you want. Promo cards are a popular thing to collect but I think it's easy to forget that these are advertising items. Their primary function is to promote the release of the set and create awareness to new collectors. If all we do is preach to the choir this hobby will not grow.

I've said from the start that we will always do our best but we aren't perfect either. We honestly welcome your feedback and take it very seriously.

I know this was a bit long but thanks for listening. Luv You

Best,

Scott

Posts: 112 | Location: Irvine, CA.  | Registered: February 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the response, Scott, what you say makes good sense, anytime we can bring new folks into the hobby is a good thing. Thumb Up

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott Gaeta:

If all we do is preach to the choir this hobby will not grow.

Scott

Finally, somebody gets it. Clap

Posts: 29002 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
Scott

I totally get what you're saying and agree - but don't alienate the already existing market. Promo's JUST for a new market sends a signal to the people that might be collectors already (many of whom are completists). I applaud all that you are doing for our hobby and your efforts at increasing the non-sport market.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Can someone scan the promo so that we can see what it looks like ? Scott can you please post a picture ?