Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  New Promo Card Releases    Topps Star Wars/May the Fourth/FCBD Promotion
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Topps Star Wars/May the Fourth/FCBD Promotion
 Login/Join

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted
Rebelscum - Topps Star Wars May The 4th Promotion

Looks like Topps has a promotion going this weekend in celebration of May The Fourth (i.e. Star Wars Day) and Free Comic Book Day. Click on the link above to go to Rebelscum.com and read about it. You can get a free Jedi Legacy "The Circle is Now Complete" promo card. So for those of you who can't make the Philly Non-Sports Card Show, where Topps will also be handing out a Jedi Legacy promo card, you can go to a participating store and get a card. By the way, the Philly Show card is exclusive to the show so these are not the same cards.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RedFive
posted Hide Post
This may Fourth me to actually join Facebook ... Roll Eyes ... seriously ...

Posts: 440 | Location: USA | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
I've probably got myself blacklisted with Topps on Facebook but...

[RANT]
This promotion is a complete disaster. The promos were not available through Diamond (2 different comic stores said so) so unless a store buys Topps product directly I'm not sure how they signed up.

The 7 page list is almost exclusively sports card stores. It's 7 hours to the closest one to me. Nothing in Michigan at all. But 3 in Montana. Really???

I'm thinking this was primarily a Topps HTA Store promotion, possibly to get sports card stores to stock more Star Wars. I'm not against that at all. Just don't call it a Free Comic Book Day promotion if you're not in comic stores.

I hope the stores have extra and sell them on eBay. That's the only way some collectors will ever get the chance to own them.

[/RANT]

Ed

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

Posts: 5079 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I looked at the list. Van's in Jackson, MS has them. But I know Van's. He will make sure that they promo will only be handed over with a lot of resistance and he will sell all the extras at top dollar.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
The promos were not available through Diamond (2 different comic stores said so) so unless a store buys Topps product directly I'm not sure how they signed up.

You're probably right about them being HTA stores.

quote:
Just don't call it a Free Comic Book Day promotion if you're not in comic stores.

I don't recall them calling it a FCBD promotion. It's a May the 4th promotion, which just happens to fall on FCBD this year.

quote:
I hope the stores have extra and sell them on eBay. That's the only way some collectors will ever get the chance to own them.

I kind of hope the opposite, that unclaimed cards are returned to Topps and destroyed, making it a really special card. If they're made available en masse outside of the promotion, where's the excitement in having a promotion in the first place?

These will still end up on Ebay, regardless.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
quote:
Originally posted by Scifi Cards:
The promos were not available through Diamond (2 different comic stores said so) so unless a store buys Topps product directly I'm not sure how they signed up.

You're probably right about them being HTA stores.

quote:
Just don't call it a Free Comic Book Day promotion if you're not in comic stores.

I don't recall them calling it a FCBD promotion. It's a May the 4th promotion, which just happens to fall on FCBD this year.

quote:

I kind of hope the opposite, that unclaimed cards are returned to Topps and destroyed, making it a really special card. If they're made available en masse outside of the promotion, where's the excitement in having a promotion in the first place?

These will still end up on Ebay, regardless.

I think part of the confusion is coming from the fact that not only is May 4th FCBD this year but it's also (and has been for the last couple of years) Star Wars Day.
What bothers me about this is that the card given out isn't a promo card, it's an insert card from the Jedi Legacy set. I think Topps running a promotion for Star Wars Day is great, but make the card something that isn't part of a set.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Frederick, MD USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It is a promo card, it's promoting the set. Whether you choose to collect it as part of the set is up to you. Now it does say there is a contest element for those who "Complete the Circle" - now does that include this center piece? If so, then I can see this being a problem with no realistic way to finish the set by opening packs.

I was just reading in the sell sheet literature, it says:

• Hobby In-Store Promotion
• Topps Authorized Hobby Stores may be eligible to opt-in to the "May the 4th–Circle is Now Complete" in-store promotion
• Look for full details via email by April 15, 2013!

And where it shows the Circle is Now Complete inserts, the middle piece says:

WATCH: Store Promotion Coming Soon Featuring the Circle

I just see it as an exclusive promo you shouldn't be able to get anywhere else. For years there were action figures that were Target exclusives when there were no Target stores in the northeast. Yeah, it sucked, but that's the way it was.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
It is a promo card, it's promoting the set. Whether you choose to collect it as part of the set is up to you. Now it does say there is a contest element for those who "Complete the Circle" - now does that include this center piece? If so, then I can see this being a problem with no realistic way to finish the set by opening packs.

I was just reading in the sell sheet literature, it says:

• Hobby In-Store Promotion
• Topps Authorized Hobby Stores may be eligible to opt-in to the "May the 4th–Circle is Now Complete" in-store promotion
• Look for full details via email by April 15, 2013!

And where it shows the Circle is Now Complete inserts, the middle piece says:

WATCH: Store Promotion Coming Soon Featuring the Circle

I just see it as an exclusive promo you shouldn't be able to get anywhere else. For years there were action figures that were Target exclusives when there were no Target stores in the northeast. Yeah, it sucked, but that's the way it was.

If it's just a promo then I'm fine with it, afterall the Philly Show is getting it's own promo. Smile

Posts: 1343 | Location: Frederick, MD USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I called a few stores, and they have them, but can't give them out until Saturday

I was told that they are circular discs, like pogs, but one guy also had an oversized card in his box, too.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Bayonne, NJ, USA | Registered: May 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Here's the skinny I got from the shop owner I went to:

He had what appeared to be about 50 of them, maybe more. He was keeping it strict to one per for today, but after today he's free to do whatever he wants with them except sell on Ebay. So he can sell them in his store or give them away to preferred customers.

So it sounds like even if you can't get your hands on one today, they should still be plentiful.

Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Szym
posted Hide Post
None of the shops in Paris, France got those. Shake Head
I guess Ebay will be my friend for that one, an always expensive friend.

Posts: 878 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Jason00
posted Hide Post
I got two of them, one each at two different stores. I also got a little promo postcard for the set, and I will try to take a pic and put it up later if no one else does.

Posts: 1562 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: November 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RedFive
posted Hide Post
I drove 80 miles round trip to a sports card shop to get my promo and the poster. The shop owner said he had "signed up" to receive these from Topps.

Posts: 440 | Location: USA | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of igman7
posted Hide Post
At the store that I went to, the owner informed me that the store owners had to fill out quite the involved paperwork (she actually had her lawyer look at it) and all cards not handed out with the flyer (one per person) are supposed to be mailed back to Topps for destruction. It will be interesting to see if that actually happens. I did happen to nab three as I had my sons with me.

Posts: 1492 | Location: Tinley Park, Illinois, USA | Registered: May 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
I couldn't get the thing to work from my phone. I doubt there's any shops withing 200 miles in any direction.

Looks like not only I will miss out, but alot of cards are going to be destroyed.

Great for the damn flippers out there that managed to score one or more of them.

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I went to my local hobby shop yesterday after doing FCBD at my local comic store. Even though I came in fairly late (like 3pm), evidently I was the first person to know about the promotion all day. I got the impression that there was a lot of micromanaging at the corporate level that made the event something that took a lot more energy than any potential benefits than might come from participating in the promotion. For example, the paperwork was fairly extensive, the promotion was highly regulated, and they had to agree to specific regulations to be able to participate. When Topps sent out the wrong flyer (with two sides that came out on the 1st), the owner said that he got 10 emails on how to correct the mistake, how to identify the correct flyer, and to only accept the correct flyer and turn away anyone who had the incorrect one.

By the time I came in, the shop owner was so fed up that he gave me a couple of extras to trade with my friends since he knows that I refer a lot of people to his shop. He only got one version of the promo (the one with Luke Skywalker). I called the store today and evidently I was the only one who came in and participated, so he said that he was actually bummed that he didn't give me more.

Anyways, here is a picture of the copy that I was given (front and back):

I have a couple of extra copies of the Luke promo that I'd be willing to trade for another version (like the P5 or another Philly promo).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: riddler_149,

https://sites.google.com/site/riddler149/

Posts: 1255 | Location: California | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of BILLZEE
posted Hide Post
On Saturday, I stopped into a couple Baseball Card shops & got a few of these. Had to printout a voucher sheet and turn it into the shop owners.
Actually discovered a BB shop I never knew about & bought some old non-sport promos which was kinda cool.

My May the Fourth spares are for trade (see my want list posted in the trade section)

Posts: 2236 | Location: DFW | Registered: January 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a spare. Would somebody be willing to trade a p5 Philly promo for a circle promo card?

Thanks,
David

Posts: 328 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: February 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Were there multiple versions or just the one? In the flyer it sounds like there are 12 inserts to collect, but are those promos or inserts for the set?

https://sites.google.com/site/riddler149/

Posts: 1255 | Location: California | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Tattoox
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I'm confused too, but not going to worry about it.

These remind me of pogs. They're larger, like those coasters, right?

Posts: 1619 | Location: Oregon | Registered: August 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post