Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  New Promo Card Releases    Star Wars Celebration 2019
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Star Wars Celebration 2019
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted
Topps has a new 5 card SW set at the Celebration show. 99 of each card made.

Apparently you have to make a $ 50 purchase per card to get them. So $ 250 for all 5.

The backs say cards 1-5 of 15, so I guess cards 6-15 will be at future shows

I already see sets of these 5 on ebay for $600. Quite depressing.

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:

Quite depressing.

Quite depressing does not even start to cover it but there must still be people out there ( presumably not people on this forum ) who go for this stuff and do not seem to care how much it costs.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I believe that back in 2017, they had a similar thing at the SW Celebration show. 4 cards that were promos for the 40th Anniversary set, numbered C1 to C4. In that case, you had to buy a box of SW cards directly from Topps for $100, and they gave you 1 card, a diff one each day. So you had to spend $ 400 to get the set

Of those 4 cards, you still see some on ebay, but for some reason there are 2 that show up more often than the others. I think someone said that the Leia card is hard to obtain, as that was the one for the 1st day of the show, and people weren't aware of the offer on Day 1

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Why depressed? Whoever wants to buy into this type of exclusive "set" gimmick, at this price, and on SW or any other title, is welcome to all of them as far as I'm concerned.

I know I'm not bothered by these sorts of offers, whether they're in my range or not. Don't want them, don't care who has them. You have to desire something to be envious. Big Grin

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
A limited availability 10 card set is up to tie in with the new trailer. https://uk.topps.com/topps-sta...ler-10-card-set.html

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
That's more like it. A nice little set at a sensible price.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Going back to Celebration set this year. Topps sold out in the first few hours. The staff did not allocate 1 card per order. So, if you bought 500.00 worth of stuff you got 5 cards. I am in a Star Wars card group and there are some people that are really miffed at this.

In this group there are people who want 1 of each Topps Star Wars cards (not parallel) just 1 of each card. Some of these people don't want to pay insane prices but this is how they collect Star Wars cards.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barobehere:
Going back to Celebration set this year. Topps sold out in the first few hours. The staff did not allocate 1 card per order. So, if you bought 500.00 worth of stuff you got 5 cards. I am in a Star Wars card group and there are some people that are really miffed at this...

I don't understand. If fans have traveled to Chicago and spent a considerable amount of money on Topps' product, why would giving them a few free promo cards be a problem?

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:

Apparently you have to make a $ 50 purchase per card to get them. So $ 250 for all 5.

If that info is correct and you spent $500 you should have got 2 sets of the 5 cards.

Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:
quote:
Going back to Celebration set this year. Topps sold out in the first few hours. The staff did not allocate 1 card per order. So, if you bought 500.00 worth of stuff you got 5 cards. I am in a Star Wars card group and there are some people that are really miffed at this...

I don't understand. If fans have traveled to Chicago and spent a considerable amount of money on Topps' product, why would giving them a few free promo cards be a problem?

The general feeling (and this is not mine) is that Topps made this announcement of all weekend long that there are 5 promos each numbered to 99.

I did the math and knew these would disappear fast.

Some people got to the Topps booth a few hours after it opened on the first day only to find out that the promos were already gone. One person angrily posted about it and then more people joined it.

I've been to San Diego Comic con. I been to a lot of cons and know if you don't go first thing on the first day, you will be out of luck on exclusives. Some people learned this at Star Wars Celebration this year.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the explanation barobehere.

Limited to #99, does seem a extremely short run for an event like Star Wars Celebration. But I guess it is an incentive for collectors to visit the Topps stall straight away, so Topps get the fans money before it's spent it elsewhere.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
As a person who collects Star Wars and Star Trek promo cards, I can tell you why I was miffed by the 4 card set from the 2017 Celebration show

In my view, those were genuine promos, as the backs said to look for the Star Wars 40th Anniversary card set coming in May 2017, or whatever it was. Eventually I tracked them down, but had to pay alot.

On the 2017 set, each of the 4 was limited to 200, I believe, so easier to find than the 2019 cards. However, the 2017 ones don't show up much on ebay anymore, especially the Leia card.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Right, you would think by now everyone understands that Topps + Star Wars + 5 promos + only 99 of each made = you better get over to the Topps booth ASAP. I'm sure some of the collectors who got the promo got it only because they happened to be standing next to the Topps booth and overheard a transaction or just people talking about it. Ninety-nine cards are going to go fast once the word gets out at a show and even faster than the old days.

There's no sense getting upset about missing out on some freebie. Most of us who have collected for 15-20 years or more have been lucky to be standing in the right place at the right time, whether it was getting some cool card for free or at a great price and we've also just missed on some things. Sometimes, we found out what we overlooked months or years later. I still look for some of those cards I missed from San Diego Comic-Cons twenty or so years ago.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by WOMBLE:
quote:

The general feeling (and this is not mine) is that Topps made this announcement of all weekend long that there are 5 promos each numbered to 99.

I did the math and knew these would disappear fast.

Some people got to the Topps booth a few hours after it opened on the first day only to find out that the promos were already gone. One person angrily posted about it and then more people joined it.

I've been to San Diego Comic con. I been to a lot of cons and know if you don't go first thing on the first day, you will be out of luck on exclusives. Some people learned this at Star Wars Celebration this year.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
All I can say is prepare to be miffed again. Just think about what you're going to have to buy for the 45th and "50th Star Wars Spectacular" to get the free card. Topps knows at least 99 people are going to spring for it each time especially if the card promotes something on the back.

I'm not making fun of you. I've been collecting Star Wars cards since I saw the newly-released Topps red series for sale in an ice cream truck so I understand the desire to pick up one of everything but I stopped trying to get even just all the promos a long time ago. It's even more of a game now than it used to be to get the rare promo. You used to have to go to the right show or have a friend who went to the right show to get the rare card. If you didn't get it, you were going to have pay up but maybe $15-25. A couple of years later, you had to buy the right product to get the rare one, but that wasn't too bad because you just had to buy some $25-35 toy. You were a little annoyed, but hey, you collect Star Wars.

Now, you have to buy some $100 box of cards or something similar to get the card. If you're buying those boxes anyway, then the promos are an extra. If you're buying just the card second-hand (or further down the line), you're probably not getting any value because the card is unlikely to increase much from what you paid. Topps is going to keep printing more "limited" sets to the point that only the diehards are going to keep track of it all. Maybe 10-20 years from now, some of those rare cards are going to end up in a cheap Ebay lot or a box mixed along with some regular stuff at a show because the average person doesn't like to do any research. I'll try to be around for that.

quote:
As a person who collects Star Wars and Star Trek promo cards, I can tell you why I was miffed by the 4 card set from the 2017 Celebration show

In my view, those were genuine promos, as the backs said to look for the Star Wars 40th Anniversary card set coming in May 2017, or whatever it was. Eventually I tracked them down, but had to pay alot.

On the 2017 set, each of the 4 was limited to 200, I believe, so easier to find than the 2019 cards. However, the 2017 ones don't show up much on ebay anymore, especially the Leia card.

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It will be interesting to see if these become anything. They did a 5 card set last year at SD Comic Con. Only 199 made. Not sure what original price was but they seem to be around $75-100. Bummed as one was just offered for $50 on sale but I was too late. So perhaps these will be worth double?

Posts: 70 | Location: New York | Registered: September 18, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post