Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  New Promo Card Releases    Doctor Who Adventures magazine Card set
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Doctor Who Adventures magazine Card set
 Login/Join

Picture of Quaint1
posted
Here in the UK, there is a bi-weekly "Doctor Who Adventures" magazine, aimed at children and usually featuring a series themed 'free' gift - usually some kind of plastic toy of the sort you used to find in breakfast cereal boxes.
The current issue has the plastic toys, as well as the first two cards in what appears to be an on-going set of lenticular cards - these do NOT appear to be part of the TCG sets. One card shows the Eleventh Doctor changing into the Twelfth, the other has the TARDIS materialising. The lenticular effect is rather good and, if I can find a way of scanning it, I'll try to post pictures later.
The inside back cover of the magazine stated that the next issue will have another two cards - one of which features a Dalek - it is out on August 27th. No idea how big the set will be, but they ARE regular card size and could be the closest we get to a 'New' Doctor Who set!
Au Res.,
Paul

http://www.cardcast.co.uk/
Twitter: @ukcardcast

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Thanks Paul, I will take a look. Smile

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
What is the issue # So I can track it down...

Posts: 717 | Location: Washington, PA | Registered: June 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
The issue is # 352

The comic is £4. ( when did kids comic's become £4.) Eek

The two cards are numbered 01 and 02.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Quaint1
posted Hide Post
The cover price does seem to vary from issue to issue, depending (it appears) on what the 'free' gift is - plastic toy=more expensive; printed item=cheaper.
Nice cards though!
Au Res.,
Paul

http://www.cardcast.co.uk/
Twitter: @ukcardcast

Posts: 7202 | Location: Basildon, Essex, United Kingdom | Registered: November 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of geoffbovey
posted Hide Post
This is why I keep telling people that trips outside the USA is great for finding "the cool stuff". Most people don't understand me when I tell them that here in the USA, you CAN'T find everything (contrary to popular belief).

Lucky Brits! Shake Head

Posts: 617 | Location: Sandy, UT | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I now have these in hand and they are really nice. They are as thick as the ultra rares from the battles in time sets.
I think I am right in saying that the 01 is the Peter Capaldi rookie card, the first time he has ever appeared on a trading card and certainly the first time he has appeared as Dr Who on a trading card.

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Wolfie

Peter Capaldi appeared in the Dr Who Battles of Time Devastator series card number 903 or 078/250 when he portrayed Caecilius.

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Oh yes of course, good spot. Clap

well this is his Rookie Dr card then. Big Grin

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Would love to have these cards-even the mags. We never got any issues over here in the USA.

Posts: 971 | Location: WESTWOOD NJ | Registered: May 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
I purchased the magazine and the cards are nice, no indication of which company made the cards and I can confirm that the lenticular effect is very impressive. But £4 a magazine is expensive

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FRANK AMICO:
Would love to have these cards-even the mags. We never got any issues over here in the USA.

Barnes and Noble (at least in my area) carries some of the magazines as does Half Price books. Haven't been to either store lately to look for this particular issue.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Frederick, MD USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
B&N only carry the regular DOCTOR WHO MAG. I don't know any that carry this. You can get them at the DOCTORWHOSTORE.COM but they don't have this issue yet.

quote:
Originally posted by WandringRebel:
quote:
Originally posted by FRANK AMICO:

Barnes and Noble (at least in my area) carries some of the magazines as does Half Price books. Haven't been to either store lately to look for this particular issue.

Posts: 971 | Location: WESTWOOD NJ | Registered: May 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Please remember that it is a bi-weekly magazine aimed at the age group 8 years - 13 years so may not have the "pull" magazines that older aged groups have and therefore there may not be the demand for it outside the UK.

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Found mine

But only 1 in asda

Traded with: RupT, Mar53, LUZNDAVE, Cardz_house , INDYPAT75, blwilson, KADRAN00157, Card Reaper, Tangent, Shaunicus, Ifish, wolfie, rwn410, Geoff bovey, WarriorBabe, womble

Posts: 855 | Location: Coventry - England | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
Please remember that it is a bi-weekly magazine aimed at the age group 8 years - 13 years so may not have the "pull" magazines that older aged groups have and therefore there may not be the demand for it outside the UK.

As wolfie said earlier, scary that "Kids" are paying £8 ($13) a month for Dr Who Magazines

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Darth Graham
posted Hide Post
Looks like only four cards as there is no mention of any more cards in the next issue.

Posts: 165 | Location: Milton Keynes, UK | Registered: March 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
...The comic is £4. ( when did kids comic's become £4.) Eek

The current issue is £4.99. At it's peak the comic topped sales of 100,000. Now sales are around 20,000 which is way below the sales of the regular 'Doctor Who Magazine' which has had steady sales of around 30,000 for years.

Maybe kids just don't want to spend their pocket money on comics anymore.

Posts: 1114 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
I've just seen it in the shop, I nearly slapped myself for paying £4, when I saw this one was £5 I just laughed and walked away.

No Sale. Twak

Picture of Darth Graham
posted Hide Post
Although the cover price is £4.99 it went through the till at my local WH Smith at £3.99

Posts: 165 | Location: Milton Keynes, UK | Registered: March 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post