Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
Monster Squad Prototypes

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/661605453/m/2707035596

February 11, 2021, 03:14 PM
JOHN LEVITT
Monster Squad Prototypes
Good Evening

Today I received the 2nd issue of a magazine called Toy Ventures published by PlaidStallions. Inside were three cards with images as shown below, all three are unnumbered and have the same back. They are Bruce W. Wolf, Drac and Frank N. Stein. who are characters from a TV series called "Monster Squad" which lasted only 13 episodes and first aired in 1976. The series generated some merchandise including action figures just like those featuring in the Mego range and depicted in the Mego Museum and PlaidStallion promo card ranges. The actual images are photographs of three prototype figures that never made production and were found in 2020 after being in a storage unit untouched for more than 40 years. The cards are standard size 2½ x 3½ inches.

Bruce W. Wolf Front

[IMG:left] [/IMG]

Drac Front

Frank N. Stein Front

Generic Back

I also have a promo sticker for Toy Ventures which has a plain back and is approximately 3 x 3 inches:-

regards

John

February 12, 2021, 05:03 AM
catskilleagle
Hi John,

I am one of the few who watched "Monster Squad" during its short run way back then. When people talk about the recent show of the same name, I still think of that one. When I saw "Love Boat" for the first time in the late 70's and "Gopher" (Fred Grandy) appeared early in the episode, "I said, 'Hey, that's the guy from Monster Squad.'"

Around the same time there was another Saturday morning show called "The Ghost Busters" starring Forrest Tucker and Larry Storch as two guys who solve crimes with the help of a guy in a gorilla suit. Their names were "Spencer," "Tracy," and "Kong" with "Tracy" being the gorilla's name. That kind of comedy gold in the premise turned out to be in short supply in the episodes.

Anyway, it's great that someone else remembers the old "Monster Squad" and wanted to honor the show with cards.

Does anyone else remember "Dusty's Trail" or "The Hudson Brothers?"

Jess
February 12, 2021, 06:31 AM
wolfie
These are great John. Was this what we were talking about the other day with your $28 in the post.

February 12, 2021, 09:32 AM
JOHN LEVITT
Wolfie

Simple answer is no as these cards came with a magazine. The magazine was purchased from a Canadian seller that mailed it in Niagara Falls, USA from there it then went to Zurich, Switzerland before arriving in th UK. All that travelling for $10 and the magazine only cost $11.

I suspect that some mail from Canada is still being delayed as I am still awaiting 2 packages from there sent before Christmas. These are non eBay packages so no global intervention just Covid.

regards

John

February 17, 2021, 11:31 AM
pcetodd
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:

Does anyone else remember "The Hudson Brothers?"

Jess

Barely. I remember watching it a few times but I was really young. And I did see Monster Squad but I must have seen it later because I knew Love Boat Gopher first.
February 17, 2021, 01:05 PM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:

Does anyone else remember "The Hudson Brothers?"

Jess

One of them married Goldie Hawn and is Kate and Oliver Hudson's father. Otherwise, no.