Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  New Promo Card Releases    HMV film bubblegum cards
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
HMV film bubblegum cards
 Login/Join
 
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted
HMV are releasing Blu-ray/DVD retro sets of 80's films which include a poster, sticker and trading card in a VHS style box.

The 12 titles include; ET,The Thing,The Warriors, Top Gun, Scarface, The Breakfast Club. I don't think I have seen Tom Cruise on a trading card before.

 
Posts: 902 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The 12 films are

The Blues Brothers

E.T.

Scarface

48 HRS

The Breakfast Club

Back to the Future

Top Gun

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Beverly Hills Cop

Airplane!

The Thing

The Warriors
 
Posts: 2032 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I'm going to have to get "Blues Brothers" for sure and probably "Airplane."


quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
The 12 films are

The Blues Brothers

E.T.

Scarface

48 HRS

The Breakfast Club

Back to the Future

Top Gun

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Beverly Hills Cop

Airplane!

The Thing

The Warriors
 
Posts: 639 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
These must have done well - HMV are releasing another 12 titles on Oct 29th:

Cheech and Chong's Up in Smoke
Flashdance
Grease
Jaws
Crocodile Dundee
Jurassic Park
Mandy
The Frighteners
Trading Places
An American Werewolf in London
Clue
Tremors

https://store.hmv.com/search-r...=24&page=1&view=grid

I picked up The Thing from the first wave and will be getting Jaws, Trading Places and Jurassic Park from this new bunch. The packaging is nicely done with a good quality feel, the cards/stickers are great and I really like the almost sell sheet sized mini-poster.
 
Posts: 2904 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
These are massivly overpriced, i don't know how HMV have got the nerve. The dvd's are worth about £1, the rest is re-hashed packaging. Shake Head

____________________
Come, it is time for you to keep your appointment with The Wicker Man.
 
Posts: 27493 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
These are massivly overpriced, i don't know how HMV have got the nerve. The dvd's are worth about £1, the rest is re-hashed packaging. Shake Head


Over here they are coming out with what they call "steel books", same old DVD movies in a tin case. Also re-hashed packaging, but they must be selling enough because every week a see more titles in tin boxes. Big Grin

I guess maybe younger people who perhaps never saw the films think they have something new and if it calls their attention to actual good movies, its not a bad thing. Smile
 
Posts: 6627 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
These are massivly overpriced, i don't know how HMV have got the nerve. The dvd's are worth about £1, the rest is re-hashed packaging. Shake Head


Eh?

How are they “worth £1”? You’d be looking at £4-£5 when buying most older titles on DVD these days - but you and Raven realise these are all blu-rays right? The DVDs are an extra disc?

With most of these titles being £7-£10 in regular blu-ray packaging you’re looking at £11-£15 RRP if you bought the DVD & Blu-ray separately. These new retro packages are £15 so in most cases you’d be paying either a couple of quid for the new packaging, or nothing extra. Or at 2 for £25 definitely nothing extra, unless you’re double-dipping like me and re-buying a couple of films I already have. But I’ll get a couple quid back selling my old blu-rays to offset it slightly. Plus the cards do have some value to this card collector!

But do most people who want a blu-ray want or need a DVD of the same film? Or vice versa? I don’t, and I don’t know how many people have noticed - manufacturers used to release movies as blu-ray, DVD and UV code packages all in one but a couple years ago they did away with the double disc sets because buyers were giving away the extra disc (format they didn’t want) to friends/family and it was believed this would cut into sales. So I’d say there is value in both discs being present even if people like me will keep both but only use one format.
 
Posts: 2904 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
These are massivly overpriced, i don't know how HMV have got the nerve. The dvd's are worth about £1, the rest is re-hashed packaging. Shake Head


Over here they are coming out with what they call "steel books", same old DVD movies in a tin case. Also re-hashed packaging, but they must be selling enough because every week a see more titles in tin boxes. Big Grin

I guess maybe younger people who perhaps never saw the films think they have something new and if it calls their attention to actual good movies, its not a bad thing. Smile


You should visit a blu-ray forum, some physical copy collectors are hardcore into steelbooks only and will pay massively over the odds for that style of packaging, especially once they’ve sold out.
I’m a devout physical media collector myself but I’ve never got the fascination with steelbooks in particular, good quality cardboard/book style packaging is my preference so this range from HMV ticks my boxes.

That said, I do own 3 steelbooks (all Bond) and only one was a “double dip” (GoldenEye) which I bought because it featured artwork from the US theatrical poster and looked phenomenal.
The other two, Skyfall and SPECTRE again feature exclusive artwork: Skyfall the IMAX poster exclusive to select theatres back in 2012, and SPECTRE the octopus/bullet hole logo used as the teaser image when the film title was first announced online.

And that’s half the point of these things. Exclusivity and aesthetics.

In a world where physical media is dying, if people are going to keep buying the hard-copy over digital, these collectors either want the most exclusive version of the film (almost all steelbooks are limited edition) or simply the nicest looking (almost all steelbooks feature imagery so much more interesting than the regular DVD/blu-ray releases).

If you’re going to pull the film from the shelf rather than stream, don’t you want the packaging to be evocative of the film, or simply just attractive to look at? Film being a visual medium afterall...

I’m surprised on a card collecting forum (one of the most pointless and head-scratching collectibles there is - to the rest of the world anyway!) that it seems odd some people might like collecting films in decent packaging.

I LOVE films. And I LOVE films in decent/special packaging and this ‘VHS range’ is a very well made throwback to another well loved era of physical media long gone, again where ‘special’ packaging was commonplace.

Oh, and Trading Places has never been available as a Region B (UK) blu-ray before in this country so well worth the £15 to me. One of my favourites.
 
Posts: 2904 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
I agree with you X.
I have VHS tapes, DVDs, Blu-ray DVDs, and laser discs all over the place.
 
Posts: 1710 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
Eh?

How are they “worth £1”? You’d be looking at £4-£5 when buying most older titles on DVD these days - but you and Raven realise these are all blu-rays right? The DVDs are an extra disc?

But do most people who want a blu-ray want or need a DVD of the same film? Or vice versa? I don’t, and I don’t know how many people have noticed - manufacturers used to release movies as blu-ray, DVD and UV code packages all in one but a couple years ago they did away with the double disc sets because buyers were giving away the extra disc (format they didn’t want) to friends/family and it was believed this would cut into sales. So I’d say there is value in both discs being present even if people like me will keep both but only use one format.


I'm going to throw that Eh? right back at you X.

Why are you mixing my post up with wolfie's. He thinks these HMV packages are over priced. Maybe they are, maybe their not. That's his opinion and he is entitled to have one.

I brought up steel books as another form of packaging. Not talking about price or format, I even said if it got more people interested in older good movies, it was a good thing. You responded as though that was an insult to steel books and steel book collectors. What?

As for your next post to me about blu-ray chat rooms, steel book collectors and admonishing card collectors (me?) for not understanding the desire for collecting outstanding packaging, even though you may already have what's in the package, I will add a second Eh? to you X. Big Grin

You are rambling on about something I never said, never implied and indeed never knew about. Glad you got it out of your system. Wink

But since you bring it up, I also LOVE films. I do not LOVE packaging. I would buy new DVDs for better quality, for significant added minutes, or additional features. I wouldn't buy again for better cover art or a tin box. I wouldn't buy again for an added disc or digital format that I have no intention of ever using. I too LOVE physically owning movies, but the movies are what's important to me, not the box and that has nothing to do with being a card collector, it has to do with spending more money on what you already have.

I am not questioning your opinion at all. Buy all the steel books you want if that is your hobby. It doesn't have to be mine just because I collect cards, especially not when I wasn't even talking about it. Big Grin
 
Posts: 6627 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
These are massivly overpriced, i don't know how HMV have got the nerve. The dvd's are worth about £1, the rest is re-hashed packaging. Shake Head


Eh?

How are they “worth £1”? You’d be looking at £4-£5 when buying most older titles on DVD these days - but you and Raven realise these are all blu-rays right?



Let me justify my ramblings. I did not realise these were blu rays but it would have made no difference to me as i have never purchased one. I am still watching my videos so i'm probably not the right person to ask about new technology. Any dvd's i get i buy from CEX or charity shops which would explain my £1 value on the film itself.
Last week i was in a charity shop which was doing 5 dvd's for £1, that's 20p each.....for the £15 that one of these repackaged old films cost i could have had 75 dvd's.

Of course people are welcome to spend their money on whatever they want and i would never presume to suggest otherwise but i hope this explains why i think they are way overpriced.

____________________
Come, it is time for you to keep your appointment with The Wicker Man.
 
Posts: 27493 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post



Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by X:
Eh?

How are they “worth £1”? You’d be looking at £4-£5 when buying most older titles on DVD these days - but you and Raven realise these are all blu-rays right? The DVDs are an extra disc?

But do most people who want a blu-ray want or need a DVD of the same film? Or vice versa? I don’t, and I don’t know how many people have noticed - manufacturers used to release movies as blu-ray, DVD and UV code packages all in one but a couple years ago they did away with the double disc sets because buyers were giving away the extra disc (format they didn’t want) to friends/family and it was believed this would cut into sales. So I’d say there is value in both discs being present even if people like me will keep both but only use one format.


I'm going to throw that Eh? right back at you X.

Why are you mixing my post up with wolfie's. He thinks these HMV packages are over priced. Maybe they are, maybe their not. That's his opinion and he is entitled to have one.

I brought up steel books as another form of packaging. Not talking about price or format, I even said if it got more people interested in older good movies, it was a good thing. You responded as though that was an insult to steel books and steel book collectors. What?

As for your next post to me about blu-ray chat rooms, steel book collectors and admonishing card collectors (me?) for not understanding the desire for collecting outstanding packaging, even though you may already have what's in the package, I will add a second Eh? to you X. Big Grin

You are rambling on about something I never said, never implied and indeed never knew about. Glad you got it out of your system. Wink

But since you bring it up, I also LOVE films. I do not LOVE packaging. I would buy new DVDs for better quality, for significant added minutes, or additional features. I wouldn't buy again for better cover art or a tin box. I wouldn't buy again for an added disc or digital format that I have no intention of ever using. I too LOVE physically owning movies, but the movies are what's important to me, not the box and that has nothing to do with being a card collector, it has to do with spending more money on what you already have.

I am not questioning your opinion at all. Buy all the steel books you want if that is your hobby. It doesn't have to be mine just because I collect cards, especially not when I wasn't even talking about it. Big Grin


Both yourself and wolfie used the exact words "re-hashed" packaging, which is, or at least reads as, somewhat dismissive of other qualities people may find in them.

With reference to steelbooks you said you "guess maybe younger people who perhaps never saw the films think they have something new" which, IMO, shows a misunderstanding of the market these sorts of things are aimed at. Packaging/aesthetics is enough of a reason for some people buy. Like I said, I don't 'collect' steelbooks. I have 3 for the artwork.
(And you WERE talking about packaging, with no mention of the cards).

I think these faux VHS editions from HMV are succeeding for similar reasons to steelbooks because, lets face it, anyone who likes films will have had plenty of chance to see and own these 80s/early 90s movies already. I would buy them even if there were no cards included but I think it's great to see cards for properties that would never otherwise have any.
 
Posts: 2904 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:
Originally posted by X:
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
These are massivly overpriced, i don't know how HMV have got the nerve. The dvd's are worth about £1, the rest is re-hashed packaging. Shake Head


Eh?

How are they “worth £1”? You’d be looking at £4-£5 when buying most older titles on DVD these days - but you and Raven realise these are all blu-rays right?



Let me justify my ramblings. I did not realise these were blu rays but it would have made no difference to me as i have never purchased one. I am still watching my videos so i'm probably not the right person to ask about new technology. Any dvd's i get i buy from CEX or charity shops which would explain my £1 value on the film itself.
Last week i was in a charity shop which was doing 5 dvd's for £1, that's 20p each.....for the £15 that one of these repackaged old films cost i could have had 75 dvd's.

Of course people are welcome to spend their money on whatever they want and i would never presume to suggest otherwise but i hope this explains why i think they are way overpriced.


I figured the blu-ray bit was overlooked. So how many HUNDREDS of DVDs do you have wolfie? Wink

I often go into charity shops looking for certain books but usually have a glance at the DVDs too. I can never bring myself to buy them though, many just have that slightly dog-eared look that comes from people not respecting the things they own, plus I always used to get rental DVDs that would skip on me, again because people seem to just handle them like brutes. I'd be genuinely curious how often you experience any playback issues, although for minimal outlay I imagine not quite as infuriating when it happens?
 
Posts: 2904 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of X
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cardaddict:
I agree with you X.
I have VHS tapes, DVDs, Blu-ray DVDs, and laser discs all over the place.


I don't have a VHS player anymore but cannot bare to part with my Bond series, the Alien 'Saga' or my various editions of the original Star Wars Trilogy. All in fantastic packaging and with so many great memories.

Coincidentally, I bought another set of Star Wars videos just last week (the Limited Edition 'Executor' metal tin) that came with the first edition of 'The Complete Scripts' book, a set of prints featuring matte paintings used in the films, and prints of John Alvin's artwork for the VHS release that I have wanted for years. Don't need the videos though!
It is a lovely and well put together set but mad to think 3 films and a bonus tape cost £80/$105 back in 1995!
 
Posts: 2904 | Location: England | Registered: June 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of cardaddict
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I can't believe what I paid for the DVD releases of The X-Files when they first came out. You can get the entire series in widescreen Blu-ray now for less than the price of one season back then. And probably seasons 10 and 11 too!
 
Posts: 1710 | Location: USA | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:
Both yourself and wolfie used the exact words "re-hashed" packaging, which is, or at least reads as, somewhat dismissive of other qualities people may find in them.

With reference to steelbooks you said you "guess maybe younger people who perhaps never saw the films think they have something new" which, IMO, shows a misunderstanding of the market these sorts of things are aimed at. Packaging/aesthetics is enough of a reason for some people buy. Like I said, I don't 'collect' steelbooks. I have 3 for the artwork.
(And you WERE talking about packaging, with no mention of the cards).

I think these faux VHS editions from HMV are succeeding for similar reasons to steelbooks because, lets face it, anyone who likes films will have had plenty of chance to see and own these 80s/early 90s movies already. I would buy them even if there were no cards included but I think it's great to see cards for properties that would never otherwise have any.


Big Grin An example of how interpretation means everything. I will not speak for wolfie, but merely saying "re-hashed" is not dismissive to me. In this case it is factual since I was talking about the same old movie being inside the re-hashed package. The definition of re-hash to be precise is "to present again in another form without real change or improvement". The blu-ray versions on most films have been out, so the change in steel books is mainly in the packaging, which is aesthetics at best. So this is not an improvement to the actual film, which is just as good in the cardboard box that I may have.

I will concede your point that some people may be buying solely for the limited nature of the steel book and I am not familiar with that hobby. I am now and its fine with me, but it's not something that I would care about. Again that is not meant to be dismissive to anyone who does. Big Grin

As for not mentioning the cards, I was not talking about the HMV boxes, I was speaking about steel books that I don't think have any cards.

I apologize if I made it confusing by bringing in the topic of steel books. I thought the presentations were somewhat connected in that both the HMV discs and steel books are reissues of films that have already been put out on DVD with conventional packaging.

On the other hand we have now learned more about both, so it's all good. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,
 
Posts: 6627 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by X:

So how many HUNDREDS of DVDs do you have wolfie? Wink

I'd be genuinely curious how often you experience any playback issues, although for minimal outlay I imagine not quite as infuriating when it happens?



For hundreds read thousands and still over 1000 video tapes, my bed is in there somewhere. Big Grin
I must admit i can't ever remember having a problem with any of the dvd's i get from charity shops etc but as you say when i am buying them this cheap i can just throw away any that are a problem and not even notice.

____________________
Come, it is time for you to keep your appointment with The Wicker Man.
 
Posts: 27493 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Regarding the cost of movies, I remember back in the early 1990s seeing laserdiscs of the James Bond films at the local Suncoast-- Goldfinger, Thunderball, etc. They were $ 100 EACH ! Talk about pricey !
 
Posts: 2032 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of WOMBLE
posted Hide Post
These are 2 for £15 at the moment. Since HMV have gone into receivership, I would advise anybody who wanted these (in this packaging) to get them sooner rather than later.

Some of HMV's 'Premium' collection are also worth collecting, for instance the 3-disc 'Casablanca' set is only £9.99, far cheaper than the USA version.
 
Posts: 902 | Location: UNITED KINGDOM | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  New Promo Card Releases    HMV film bubblegum cards

© Non-Sport Update 2013