Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  New Promo Card Releases    Levi's 501 Originals Promos
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Levi's 501 Originals Promos
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I see a Naomi Osaka autographed relic has sold for $2000. Autograph collectors will not be impressed.

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Autograph collectors will not be impressed.

Can't speak for all, but I just shrug now. It's no good to try to logically discuss the merits or risks of a specific certified autograph card when the market isn't interested in logically assessing value. You could tell me that the autograph card of a very good 23 year old tennis star sold for $20,000 and I could believe it. Why not? Big Grin

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
If there were only 7000 packs across 500 stores, that means each store received just 14 packs to give out assuming they were distributed evenly. Not many sets nor singles have been offered on "the bay" so it appears many who scored a pack hung onto it (maybe forgot about it already but hopefully didn't trash it) or gave it away. One set sold for $650 but they've already started going for less in the $240-250 range.

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
It looks like someone was able get a Levi's card graded and returned within a few weeks. Whatever the fee is for express service was worth it in this case. A Naomi Osaka autographed relic was graded PSA 8 and sold for $16,500.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/23408...rksid=p2047675.l2557

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
It looks like someone was able get a Levi's card graded and returned within a few weeks. Whatever the fee is for express service was worth it in this case. A Naomi Osaka autographed relic was graded PSA 8 and sold for $16,500.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/23408...rksid=p2047675.l2557

That card was sold the same day she got knocked out of the Olympics. Wonder if the buyer already has regrets.

Probably should. A PSA 8 on a brand new card presumably straight from the pack is a big reduction and there is no indication of why. That will decrease demand from people who only want a high grade card.

Then she has an illegible autograph, which is OK if that's how she signs, but it does detract from the display look of the card.

Most important though, if she had won Gold in Tokyo as expected, her prospects would look pretty good, but as it is her future is less certain. Pro athletes must perform under pressure in all sports or they don't win. They also can't go home when things go sour. No matter how relatable her issues may be, until she wins consistently again, she has hurt her brand and reputation.

To pay $16,500 for that card right now is an extreme gamble, to put it mildly.

Posts: 10370 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That card was a speculators dream until she crashed
I do not feel sorry for the buyer ,I wonder if they wanted a refund or cancellation of the sale the next day ?

Posts: 758 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I really don't even look at sports cards anymore, so its hardly surprising that I was surprised to see how many different Osaka cards are out there on eBay and just how much they are asking for some of them.

Since the Levi card is autographed and limited to 20 according to the seller, its not too bad compared to offers on unsigned TOPPS Transcendent Tennis VIP Party Cards 5/15 for $9,500 and 4/10 for $9999 and a graded 9.5 22/50 for $24,999. Big Grin

I'm not worried about the buyers either. Roll Eyes

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Naomi Osaka has just been ousted in the third round of the US Open, where she was the defending champ. She went down with a lot of screaming and racket smashing. Lots of time to rebound, but right now investors in her big money cards should be starting to shake.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Sales have cooled on these. One Hailey Bieber card had gone for around $400 in late summer but one in late October went for less than $15.

Sellers are still fishing for the unwary, though. You'd think the cards and unopened packs were still in big demand. During the summer, unopened packs sold in the $350-700 range but the only recent sale I could find was for less than $300 in mid-October. Another pack went unsold at $200.

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
It's hard for me to feel sorry for people who may have gone underwater big time buying these cards at peak value. It was risky business, in dubious territory, and I would guess that most were doing it because they expected the cards to go higher, rather than just wanting them as keepers.

Still flippers that got in and out made a small fortune. That's why we will see this stuff again and again. Some people know how to play the game and some people just keep falling for it. Big Grin

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I also don't feel sorry for those that either bought too high and tried to make a profit or they held on to their pack waiting for them to reach some magic number. If you're going to sell it, sell it when it's hot which is right out of the gate and don't worry about the extra couple of hundred somebody else got.

I'm glad at least one of us got a pack.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The packs continue to slide, going for roughly $100-200 which is still decent money. A few sellers are still holding on to the dream of what they were going for last year.

A red background #4 Jaden Smith (numbered out of 50) went for just 99 cents.

The autographs seem to be doing well still. A #5 Marcus Rashford autograph goes for about $250-300.

I haven't seen an autographed relic sell since around September.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I was looking at these again. I see sellers still asking a lot more for packs and singles than they have actually sold for in the past six months or so. I don't see any pack sales in the past three months. The lowest offered price, $288, hasn't found a buyer. From what I've seen, it appears you get roughly $100 worth of cards now if you don't pull a parallel.

A regular Naomi Osaka sold for $50 last month and $60 the month before after going for $150-300 or more last year. One of her unnumbered autographed cards sold with a Best Offer below $800 (maybe $650-750?). One of her red parallels went for $225 last month.

A Jaden Smith red parallel (serial-numbered out of 50) sold for $50 last month and that's about what it has gone for. Emma Chamberlain and Barbie Ferreira red parallels have been offered for that but no takers so far. A Marcus Rashford red parallel went for $30 last month.

A blue Barbie Ferreira blue parallel (numbered 1/10) is available for $450.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I haven't checked on these in almost a full year. On one hand a set of 8 base cards sold for $149 three months ago, but on the other, an unopened pack sold for just $31 with 2 bids a few days ago. At least one seller is still holding out hope for a buyer who never checks Completed Listings, packs at $225 ending without a bid.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/20434...rksid=p2047675.l2557

Even a gem mint SGC 10 Naomi Osaka went for just $31 after 12 bids and one graded at PSA 9 ended at $49.99 with just one bid. If you had any interest in the set or a pack at the beginning but got priced out, keep your eyes open.

This thread should be moved to the General Promo category.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,