Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Outlander Season 5
 Login/Join

Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ifish73:
Crazy prices for the P1. Glad I was able to snag one at the show.

Lucky you, i had two people ask the guy if they could post one to me and he refused to give them one.

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I was told they were handed out first come, first served and only one per person so you really had to be there to get one directly. With only 299 printed and serial-numbered, even people not into Outlander were going to get in line for that. They probably ran out fast.

quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:
Crazy prices for the P1. Glad I was able to snag one at the show.

Lucky you, i had two people ask the guy if they could post one to me and he refused to give them one.

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
David R asked me to post an image of P2:

quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
P2 was supposedly a 2021 SDCC exclusive

Posts: 4375 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by catskilleagle:
I was told they were handed out first come, first served and only one per person so you really had to be there to get one directly. With only 299 printed and serial-numbered, even people not into Outlander were going to get in line for that. They probably ran out fast./QUOTE]

I really hate that. It makes for hard feelings when a loyal supporter or a good buyer can't get the nice freebie when it finally comes along because it was handed out to people who can turn around and walk out the door. Handing out promos may be an attraction, but if you make them too good and have no qualifications the people who are shut out and may be regular customers are going to resent it. I don't blame them.

Posts: 10374 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
They still had them available on day 2 of the show. It was given out as an incentive to attend the show and help promote it. This is nothing new, and if you want one you may have to pay for it, but that’s a personal decision. Also, you have to pay to attend the show, so I doubt anyone was getting one and walking out the door. There are many shows that I can’t attend due to distance, so I have to make the choice of obtaining the card through other means if I want one. Networking with other collectors is another way of possibly obtaining these cards.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batman:

Networking with other collectors is another way of possibly obtaining these cards.

Yes that's what i did but the Crypto guy refused to give them one for me. After the show one seller sold 7 of them on ebay but i'm not bitter. Big Grin

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There was a question about show exclusive promos elsewhere. Do collectors like or dislike them? I liked the exclusive cards given out at San Diego Comic-Con those years I went. Some of those cards were also available at other shows so they became less exclusive. The collectors who got them at the other shows were happy to get them but that thrill was tempered by the fact that the promo had become easier to get and therefore less valuable whether in terms of money or bragging rights.

There have been exclusive promos for the Philly show for years now - even a couple of decades. I haven't been able to go since I heard about it in the 90's but I harbor no resentment against the companies that made them or the collectors who got them. This time, I think the company wanted to make a nice collectible for the show because the northeast is a huge hub of trading card collecting and because there was no show last year. I can't expect the company to save one of those limited cards for me or hand an extra to someone at the show just because he's "getting it for a friend." That would have taken a card away from someone who traveled to the show, paid admission, and wanted that card and probably wanted it more than I did.

I've been one who got the rare promo a few times in the past. I didn't fly out for the Philly show so I didn't get that P1. Oh well. Instead of griping, "Where's mine?" I say "Nice pick up" to those that did go and get it. If I want it bad enough, I'm going to have to pay the going rate or trade something good after the show - cheaper than a plane ride and hotel stay in either case.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by catskilleagle:
I was told they were handed out first come, first served and only one per person so you really had to be there to get one directly. With only 299 printed and serial-numbered, even people not into Outlander were going to get in line for that. They probably ran out fast./QUOTE]

I really hate that. It makes for hard feelings when a loyal supporter or a good buyer can't get the nice freebie when it finally comes along because it was handed out to people who can turn around and walk out the door. Handing out promos may be an attraction, but if you make them too good and have no qualifications the people who are shut out and may be regular customers are going to resent it. I don't blame them.

Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Batman
posted Hide Post
Asking for something when you are not there is not networking Wolfie, attendees were only allowed one per day what would happen if everyone asked for extras for someone, who knows what they would do with them and they would run out of cards quickly which certainly was not the intent. As I was there 2 days I got one on both days so the extra I got went to a fellow collector, thus “networking”, and also playing fair and following the rules.

Posts: 5789 | Location: Brielle, NJ | Registered: April 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Do collectors like or dislike exclusive promo cards? A really cheeky answer would be, it depends upon whether they get them for free or get shut out. Big Grin

But that's not the whole story because there are nuances to it. Firstly, you can have an exclusive show promo or store promo and still have enough for everyone on a given day. It does not have to be a rare card. To my mind, it shouldn't be a rare card. If you expect 200 people, you can have 299 cards. If you expect 1000 people, you should have 1100. The extras get left with the promoter or store owner.

If you are making an exclusive promo for someone and you know that it will blowout way before everyone who wants one can get one, then your whole motive is to create a card with its own value. That is a different animal than just any free promo and it lends itself to the kind of problems that we all can guess.

The second thing I was trying to say is that free things of value should go to good customers before they go to strangers who are only there for the freebies and will never return. That's just a matter of doing good business.

If the promo is worth a nickel, as it should be, then it doesn't matter. It's meant to promote something. The more passed out the better. But if it is being created to be rare and in demand, then first come first serve is a bad idea and REGULAR good customers will resent it if nothing was saved for them.

So I see nothing wrong with exclusive promo cards, but I see a lot wrong with limited exclusive promo cards. They want to make the promo card just as or more important than the product its advertising and importance translates to money for something that should be free and worthless. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Raven,

Posts: 10374 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That's what I was thinking. As for the guy with seven of them, he must have checked with everyone he could to see if they'd take some quick cash for theirs though he was gambling on a nice profit that was not guaranteed. It worked out for him because he rode the early wave on a hot card.

quote:
Originally posted by Batman:
Asking for something when you are not there is not networking Wolfie, attendees were only allowed one per day what would happen if everyone asked for extras for someone, who knows what they would do with them and they would run out of cards quickly which certainly was not the intent. As I was there 2 days I got one on both days so the extra I got went to a fellow collector, thus “networking”, and also playing fair and following the rules.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Is 299 of a card rare these days? There was a time when 500-1000 cards was rather rare but there are fewer collectors than there were 20 years ago and fewer of those remaining try to get one of everything or even most promos. You have to wonder if the card was seen as the hot card to have on the first day, why did they still have cards to give out the next day? Also, the card was selling for just $20-40 right after the show but then it took off later past $100 for some reason. It seems like it was a rather ho-hum card to people at first and then collectors warmed up to it or maybe it took that long for the casual collectors out there who are into the show to take notice.

It's tough predicting which promo is going to take off. Rarity doesn't guarantee a good payday. I see promos with under a 50 card print run going for less than $50 and even going unsold. I was wondering if the Outlander craze had run its course when this thread started but it still has some fans willing to spend money. That card might still be on the rise though there don't seem to be any takers at the $200 price level at the moment.

Sometimes, the rare promo makes more of a splash than the one anyone can mail away for or get at more than one show. It gets people talking. It pushes a forum thread past Page 1. A company might make less of one than the others because that tactic worked before with a previous promo. Other times, the rare promo doesn't go for much more than the common one for whatever reason.

Game of Thrones cards in general are popular but I can't think of an in-demand promo offhand - not sure if any of them go for over $50. Wasn't at least one of those a Philly exclusive? You just never know what's going to catch fire nor why something that seems like a good bet doesn't.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Do collectors like or dislike exclusive promo cards? A really cheeky answer would be, it depends upon whether they get them for free or get shut out. Big Grin

But that's not the whole story because there are nuances to it. Firstly, you can have an exclusive show promo or store promo and still have enough for everyone on a given day. It does not have to be a rare card. To my mind, it shouldn't be a rare card. If you expect 200 people, you can have 299 cards. If you expect 1000 people, you should have 1100. The extras get left with the promoter or store owner.

If you are making an exclusive promo for someone and you know that it will blowout way before everyone who wants one can get one, then your whole motive is to create a card with its own value. That is a different animal than just any free promo and it lends itself to the kind of problems that we all can guess.

The second thing I was trying to say is that free things of value should go to good customers before they go to strangers who are only there for the freebies and will never return. That's just a matter of doing good business.

If the promo is worth a nickel, as it should be, then it doesn't matter. It's meant to promote something. The more passed out the better. But if it is being created to be rare and in demand, then first come first serve is a bad idea and REGULAR good customers will resent it if nothing was saved for them.

So I see nothing wrong with exclusive promo cards, but I see a lot wrong with limited exclusive promo cards. They want to make the promo card just as or more important than the product its advertising and importance translates to money for something that should be free and worthless. Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

NSU Elf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
You have to wonder if the card was seen as the hot card to have on the first day, why did they still have cards to give out the next day?

They said they held some back so people who only attended on Sunday could get one.

Posts: 827 | Location: Southern New Jersey | Registered: April 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Outlander is a different breed onto it's own.

I sort of keep track of who buys what from me. It helps when I get something in that I know a specific person or persons might be interested in.

With Outlander, over the years, I have dealt with well over 600 people who buy/collect it. And they are, for the most part, avid collectors- many wanting multiple copies of certain items.

299 is no where near enough to keep every one of them satisfied. I think it would have been better to not have numbered the card and made more avail, or, if they really wanted to number it, then make it out of a larger number such as 599 and then offered any left-overs through other avenues- such as their website, their Ebay store or different shows.

It's nice they wanted to make it a show exclusive, but in these time, I think it should be more about inclusive rather than exclusive.

Posts: 67 | Location: NC | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That was thoughtful.

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
You have to wonder if the card was seen as the hot card to have on the first day, why did they still have cards to give out the next day?

They said they held some back so people who only attended on Sunday could get one.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Sales have started getting more sporadic on the P1. It was selling for more than $100 in December but one went for as little as $52 in January with an additional sale that month for $86. Another sold for $119.99 last month so you can't say it has slid in value in general but it does seem to have peaked.

I have seen sellers use it as an incentive to purchase a multi-card lot of different promos so you could've obtained it for around $100 and picked up a couple of others you could try to sell or trade away to allay the cost further.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Have the P2 to P4 been popping up alot on Ebay and selling ? Someone is offering a set of 4 for $ 299.00

Posts: 3994 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There haven't been a lot of them offered in the past few months. Maybe 6-7 of the P2 have been going for about $15-25; 2-3 of the P3 have gone for about $70, and 6 of the P4 have sold for around $80.

quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
Have the P2 to P4 been popping up alot on Ebay and selling ? Someone is offering a set of 4 for $ 299.00

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of jademaliburoad
posted Hide Post
Cryptozoic has the P3 card on their store, and had a P4 there for a limited time (190 Brianna cards).

Posts: 1188 | Location: France | Registered: April 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Outlander P5 was at the spring Philly show

P6 is in the new NSU

Posts: 3994 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Promo NSU1 in the recent NSU