Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Non-Sport Update    Non-Sport Update's Card Talk  Hop To Forum Categories  General Non-Sport Update Magazine Discussion    Halloween Giveaway **UPDATE BONUS GIVEAWAY**
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Halloween Giveaway **UPDATE BONUS GIVEAWAY**
 Login/Join

posted

Hey everyone! We have a couple giveaways during the final week of the Halloween season!

First, over on our Instagram page, we are giving away a PJ Soles autograph from the 2019 John Carpenter's Halloween product. Brooke and I broke into a box that was sent to us, courtesy of Fright-Rags, and it was a lot of fun. You can catch that break here: 2019 John Carpenter's Halloween

Now, we will be giving away a couple goodies here on Card Talk. We have a complete 2019 John Carpenter's Halloween base set, sticker set, and pumpkin orange parallel set and a sketch card from Perna Studios' 2019 Creatures of Myth and Legend Peejay Catacutan sketch of the Tikbalang.

**UPDATE BONUS GIVEAWAY** We will now be giving away a complete set of the 2019 John Carpenter's Halloween Stickers on Beckett Media's Twitter page. Head over there to stay updated. It will post soon. This thing is really cool! Pics are posted!

Beckett Media Twitter Page

Just leave a comment below about Halloween. What is your favorite thing about Halloween? Do you have a favorite memory? What is your favorite candy to get on Halloween? What is your favorite Halloween-themed film? Really, anything that is Halloween related.

We will select two winners next Thursday on Halloween. Good luck!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BeckettBible24,

Posts: 275 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: June 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
My favorite memory is one year my son was 8 and my mother made him a costume of Jareth the Goblin King from the film, Labyrinth. He looked awesome but I guess many people did not see this film or know of it locally when he went trick or treating, so the reactions he got were priceless. One person did guess Ziggy Stardust which was pretty close since both were David Bowie. His friend, Emily was with him. They were sweet together. She tried to commit suicide a few years ago by taking several oxycodone pills and running away to die. John Alex and I were the ones who found her after 8 hours and got her to her parents to rush to the hospital. So, my memory of the two of them at that halloween is a very sweet one.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
As a kid Halloween was always my second favorite holiday next to Christmas. I would think many people would say the same thing. Strangely enough the one I liked most was the last year I went Trick-R-Treating because I was at that age when I knew I had hit the expiration date and it was going to be my final lap before I was the one at the door giving out the candy. Big Grin

Like Christmas giving, I have tried to keep it going as a tradition and I really like seeing the younger kids out with their parents because they get so excited when they get something. In my area many houses don't bother to open up, but that's always been the case here and not a sign of the times, just the cost of candy. Wink

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hm, surprisingly hard to write anything for this one. These days Hallowe'en is just another day on the calendar for me. However, I do recall attending a fancy dress party at a friends house in a Dracula costume and spending most of the night doing Tarot Card and palm readings for all of the other guests. That was certainly quite a memorable Hallowe'en Smile

Posts: 1529 | Location: Warrington, UK | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Halloween is my favorite holiday. Every year we watch the Great Pumpkin while giving out candy to the neighborhood kids.

Posts: 5409 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of stevetrek
posted Hide Post
Halloween! There is no other holiday like it. I remember as a kid going for blocks to get candy. We could never finish eating it either. Many of the treat givers would dress up as witches or other ghouls. My grand kids are looking forward to this one. My 8 year grandson has a Mario costume and his younger sister is a princess. My wife used to celebrate All Hallow Eve as a kid. She would trick or treat the night before Halloween in Evanston, IL.

As far as movies go, the scene in ET where they go trick or treating stands out. Especially when ET does a double take when he see the kid in the Yoda costume.

Homemade baked pumpkin seeds and a fresh pumpkin pie - Can't you smell it just reading this line.

Here are some more good things:

- Trading card sets by Perna Studios
- Brach candy corn with or without pumpkins
- The House on Haunted Hill
- Halloween costume Birthday parties
- The houses with spider webbing on bushes and gravestones in the front yards
- Skeletons that dance or have eyes that light up.
- It's the time of year for the oldies radio channels to play the Monster Mash
- Handing out candy to very happy trick or treaters

All of the above are the favorite things that make this holiday fun!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: stevetrek,

Posts: 900 | Location: IL | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My favorite memory would have to be getting engaged on Halloween. Smile

We didn't have a Hallween wedding, but we still made sure it was in October!

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aeolus14ummbra
posted Hide Post
Ben Cooper costumes, creepy movies, and tons of candy!

Posts: 285 | Location: Dallas, TX USA | Registered: July 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I fondly remember growing up in the 1980's and going trick 'r treating all around my neighborhood for blocks and blocks - dressed like different Star Wars characters. I know I was Yoda one year and Vader another. I went dressed as a hobo one year also. Some people would give us an apple or banana or can of soda (appreciated but thankfully those cases were seldom. Big Grin ) while others would give us a quarter or two. Or maybe a dollar bill. I actually remember my friends and I getting a $5 bill each once from an older neighbor. And tons of candy - Reese's and Kit Kats galore. I'd end up with a bag full of candy and around $20 at the end of the night and felt like I was king of the world. Good times. Smile Sadly kids don't go around the neighborhood like that anymore. It's not considered safe. Frown

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Logan,

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I enjoy setting up special Halloween displays at local nursing homes. Watching the joy come back into their eyes as they remember being kids. Guess that's why I like the Halloweentown series of films starting Debbie Reynolds.

Posts: 717 | Location: Washington, PA | Registered: June 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
Most things from the USA seem to end up in the UK sooner or later but Halloween seems to be something that has not. In most places you would not even know it was on except for a few folks holding a party for the kids.

Well i'm not having it so on the night of the 31st i shall be out in the streets and the woods looking for souls who are daft enough to be out there and tearing their throats out before stabbing them to a tree with a big knife.

People of the UK, you have been warned. Eek

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
Most things from the USA seem to end up in the UK sooner or later but Halloween seems to be something that has not. In most places you would not even know it was on except for a few folks holding a party for the kids.

Well i'm not having it so on the night of the 31st i shall be out in the streets and the woods looking for souls who are daft enough to be out there and tearing their throats out before stabbing them to a tree with a big knife.

You can warm up at the Square Peg tomorrow, plenty of strange people in there Big Grin .

Posts: 2564 | Location: Sutton Coldfield England | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Doesn't England have a Rag Week or Rag Day that is sort of like Halloween? I know I remember an old Avenger episode that had a dress up in it.

Also the origins of Halloween go back way farther than America, I think to the Celts or before, so isn't it Europe who gave it to the USA? And you don't have parties?

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My family has always liked Halloween too. It's always fun to see a really well-made costume.

I remember walking with my cousin's wife and their oldest daughter as she trick-or-treated with the her baby sister in the stroller. My cousin had asked me if I would play "bodyguard" while he stayed at the house giving out candy. It was a pretty safe neighborhood but I was happy to see the babies. The oldest was about 3 then and she wanted to be a princess for Halloween. She rang the doorbell at one house and an old man answered the door. He exclaimed, "What a beautiful princess you are!" She smiled and replied, "I know." We all laughed. She's 22 now.

In my trick-or-treating years, I always liked getting little candy bars but Sweet-Tarts or bubble gum were good too.

I was just talking with my brothers about movies to watch. My nieces haven't seen "The Creature from the Black Lagoon" yet so we might watch it tomorrow or Halloween night. I've watched all kinds of monster/horror movies over the years like the original "King Kong," various Godzillas, various Gameras, "Fright Night" (1985), "Not of This Earth." "Horror at 37,000 Feet" (William Shatner in the early 70's), and "The Last Man on Earth" with Vincent Price. It would be a great time to re-watch episodes of "The Strain" (FX network) from a few years ago. It's a show people haven't talked about much. It certainly didn't get much of a promotional push (and no card set!) but it was a great real-feel show (vampires plotting to take over the world) over four seasons.

Jess

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:

Halloween is getting big in the UK now, all the supermarket's have huge Halloween displays with kids costumes and sweets for trick or treat. Much more than in previous years. When I was a lad the most we did was apple bobbing for Halloween.

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
I got to get a twitter account for this contest.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
I fondly remember growing up in the 1980's and going trick 'r treating all around my neighborhood for blocks and blocks - dressed like different Star Wars characters. I know I was Yoda one year and Vader another. I went dressed as a hobo one year also. Some people would give us an apple or banana or can of soda (appreciated but thankfully those cases were seldom. Big Grin ) while others would give us a quarter or two. Or maybe a dollar bill. I actually remember my friends and I getting a $5 bill each once from an older neighbor. And tons of candy - Reese's and Kit Kats galore. I'd end up with a bag full of candy and around $20 at the end of the night and felt like I was king of the world. Good times. Smile Sadly kids don't go around the neighborhood like that anymore. It's not considered safe. Frown

The local schools are trying to get kids to NOT go trick or treating warning it is unsafe. A parent whose kid goes to a county school said they they were informed to go get the register sex offender list from the police department before taking their kids out to trick or treat.

I know, I know, different times but I don't remember so much paranoia as a kid but it could be I was a kid and did not care either.

posted Hide Post
Congratulations to our winners!

Stevetrek you have won the full set and RevJay you have won the Catacutan sketch!

Please email your mailing info to mbible@beckett.com and we will get those out to you.

Thanks to everyone for entering and keep a look out for some holiday giveaway we will be having on here and on the NSU Instagram page in the coming months!

Posts: 275 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: June 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Congrats to both of the winners! Clap .. and thanks to Beckett for handing out the goodies. Thumb Up

Posts: 2147 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Titanium Card Talk Member
Picture of wolfie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Logan:
Congrats to both of the winners! Clap .. and thanks to Beckett for handing out the goodies. Thumb Up

Clap

Posts: 28999 | Location: wolverhampton staffs uk | Registered: July 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post