Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sketch card pricing.
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

I wish artists would print their names on the back of their sketches, or at least have a readable signature that can be easily recognized to the proper artist. Unfortunately they don't and try as I might, I still have a stack of sketch cards done by that famous artist "Unknown". Big Grin

I always print my name. I want people to know I did it!!

Prices fluctuate so wildly on sketch cards that no guide would be able to come up with a reasonable value. You're correct - telling somebody their card is valued between $50-$250 is absolutely no help.

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This was a topic that has come up on every message board that deals in sketchcards, even Scoundrel.

The list of exceptions far outweigh the rules.

There are just too many factors--
-'who' the artist is
-how rare the sketches are to pull
-the popularity of the character/scene depicted
-color vs b&w
-age and popularity of the set
-how many sketches the artist did a) for this particular set; b) for all sets
-MSRP of packs/boxes
-artist mediums used (Charles Hall's oils probably still go for more than his pencils, for example)
-distribution of packs/sets (5finity vs UD, for example)
-the likeness of the artwork to the intended character/scene
-for APs where applicable, is it uncut or not
-for APs, was it commissioned or done by the artist's choice and sold
-was the AP sold directly by the artist

Look at the exceptions. Some of the sketches for FUSM, being pencil, would not pass for a worthy sketch these days.

I collected Rhino and Firestar sketches for years. However, I would value a Rhino sketch less from Iron Man 2 since he was not even close to being in that movie.

Just way too many factors.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: weasel-king,

Posts: 233 | Location: Mebane, NC | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

I wish artists would print their names on the back of their sketches, or at least have a readable signature that can be easily recognized to the proper artist. Unfortunately they don't and try as I might, I still have a stack of sketch cards done by that famous artist "Unknown". Big Grin

I always print my name. I want people to know I did it!!

Prices fluctuate so wildly on sketch cards that no guide would be able to come up with a reasonable value. You're correct - telling somebody their card is valued between $50-$250 is absolutely no help.

I'm sure glad that artists like yourself do print your name so help to actually know who did the work Thumb Up

That $50-$250 range is wacky Elephant Was that for a specific artist or just what the range of the sketch cards coming out of a box of cards were selling for? It's kinda hard to imagine the majority of one artist's work ranging so wildly on a sketch card set.

For those that bought the 1st Edition of the Non-Sport Almanac in 2015 there were some price ranges for 2011 Dangerous Divas. It had Katie Cook's sketch cards with a range of $150-$250 for that set. It seems reasonable that the nicer looking, funnier, and/or more popular characters probably sold around that $250 mark where as the less popular characters probably sold in the lower end of the spectrum.

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heroes For Hire:
That $50-$250 range is wacky Elephant Was that for a specific artist or just what the range of the sketch cards coming out of a box of cards were selling for? It's kinda hard to imagine the majority of one artist's work ranging so wildly on a sketch card set.

No specific sketches or artists, that was a made up range just to illustrate what broad spectrum pricing of sketch cards used to look like.

If you check out current NSU guides, and even the Beckett Non-Sport Almanac, you will find that publications no longer waste any line space on sketch pricing. At best they state the odds of pulling a sketch out of a box, that's all.

At one time the guides might say Sketches: $10 - $300 or something like that, but that kind of range was useless. At one time they would even note the names of participating artists and the number of sketches they drew the first time a set was listed. That doesn't happen anymore either because of space restrictions.

For dedicated sketch card collectors, they really have to put in a lot of work to find the information necessary to keep on top of that market because non-sport card guides just can't cover sketch cards well for all the reasons/factors that have already been expressed here.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Any one remember what the last couple of 2001 Marvel Legends Custom Cover of the Silver Surfer went for? I believe only one artist drew for that cover.

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
For those that are unfamiliar with the 2001 Marvel Legends Custom Cover sketch card of the Silver Surfer, it was a retail only release and the sketch was only done by one artist (Marat Mychaels). The ones that I have seen are basically a headshot and rather nondescript by today's standards. To me, it can basically be considered relatively rare insert card somewhat like a less fancy Jambalaya that just happens to have a simple sketch of the Silver Surfer on it.

This particular sketch card (Silver Surfer by Marat Mycheals) would probably be one of the better candidates for inclusion in a price guide because it's relative uniformity- there is only one character, done by one artist, and is depicted in basically in the same headshot pose.

Other good candidates to be listed in a price guide would be Pop Mhan and Steve Dillon for their Punisher Custom Cover sketch cards.

posted Hide Post
quote:
This particular sketch card (Silver Surfer by Marat Mycheals) would probably be one of the better candidates for inclusion in a price guide because it's relative uniformity- there is only one character, done by one artist, and is depicted in basically in the same headshot pose.

You could also include Ryan Waterhouse for uniformity of some of his cards in the Indy and LoTR sets he participated in. Smile

Posts: 233 | Location: Mebane, NC | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by weasel-king:
quote:

You could also include Ryan Waterhouse for uniformity of some of his cards in the Indy and LoTR sets he participated in. Smile

That would be a cool $.25 cents a sketch, on the high side. Big Grin

I wonder how many of those sketches were just erased or simply thrown away?

But you also have to remember that the boxes were fairly affordable back then and some of the other artists created outstanding stuff for both Indy and LotR.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
For those that are unfamiliar with the 2001 Marvel Legends Custom Cover sketch card of the Silver Surfer, it was a retail only release and the sketch was only done by one artist (Marat Mychaels). The ones that I have seen are basically a headshot and rather nondescript by today's standards. To me, it can basically be considered relatively rare insert card somewhat like a less fancy Jambalaya that just happens to have a simple sketch of the Silver Surfer on it.

Other good candidates to be listed in a price guide would be Pop Mhan and Steve Dillon for their Punisher Custom Cover sketch cards.

Just for future reference:

A 2001 Marvel Legends Silver Surfer Custom Cover - Silver Surfer head shot sold for $231.50 tonight.
SILVER SURFER 2001 Level 1 RARE Marvel Legends Custom Cover Sketch card Topps https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0...2Fitm%2F192435477740

The Punisher head shot by Pop Mhan on the 2001 Marvel Legends Punisher Custom Cover sold for $78.77 yesterday.
Topps 2001 Marvel Legends Custom Cover Punisher sketch card Pop Mhan https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0...2Fitm%2F352260881994