Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TNA/WWE/ECW
 Login/Join

Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Mister E.
posted
Just wondering if NSU magazine will update wrestling cards soon ??I have some chase cards and wonder what the approximate value would be? Thanks.

Posts: 2744 | Location: Haverhill, Ma. U.S.A. | Registered: June 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
I have some WWE inserts that I was curious about, too. But wrestling might be too much "sport" and not enough "entertainment" these days to list in NSU like they use to be Frown

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I was just thinking about this and couldn't be sure if I was misremembering wrestling cards being listed in NSU. But then I found this old post with some reference to it along with another one ...

http://nonsportupdate.infopop....497043326#5497043326

Now I know that we've been discussing in other threads about having room in the NSU price guide to list everything without adding in this other category of cards in there also. So instead of asking if wrestling cards will be in future NSU price guides, I'd like to ask if there's any plans the works to have a separate NSU-inspired semi-annual type of guide to wrestling cards and collectibles?

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
There is a section for Wrestling cards in the Beckett Non-Sports Almanac, so at least Beckett sees them as being part of non-sport cards. However the Beckett website has them under Wrestling, in its own category, and not lumped in with non-sport. At one time way back a small number of Wrestling products did get listed in the bi-monthly NSU price card.

Hard to know what they intend to do with it. There is no room in the NSU guide at this point for sure and, since I don't follow these cards, I have no idea if the number of Wrestling card collectors can support a printed price guide on a more frequent schedule. Naturally Beckett is offering an on-line database and pricing if you chose to subscribe.

Since the WWE really kicked in, Wrestling is like a soap opera with steroids. I used to regard it as a sport because pro wrestlers had to be athletic, but now its just scripted entertainment with bad acting from big dudes and babes. I don't know where the cards belong really, if not just left as their own separate catagory.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I tend to think that there is too many wrestling products to be included in the regular issues of the NSU price guide. It would be an article or something from time to time though. I think a "special" issue highlighting all things wrestling cards and collectibles might be a good thing for the hobby.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I would have to say WWE is at least as much entertainment as sports and should be covered by the NSU guide. The moment you bring in a chair from outside the ring and can whack your opponent with it without penalty nor criminal charge, you would have to categorize that as a stunt and maybe into the realm of an extreme sport. Stunts are practiced to minimize injury while appearing to intend maximum injury when it's showtime. That's entertainment (but I'll take it all back if "Hulk" is Hogan's real first name).

quote:
Originally posted by Heroes For Hire:
I have some WWE inserts that I was curious about, too. But wrestling might be too much "sport" and not enough "entertainment" these days to list in NSU like they use to be Frown

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The Promo Card Encyclopedia has also classified wrestling cards as non-sports. While part of Todd's reasoning might have considered the category more or less equally sports and entertainment, he also expressed a soft spot for cards that might not be listed in another price guide. He listed soccer, tennis, volleyball, extreme sports, skateboarding, and cricket (among others) cards along with oddball things like unsigned autograph cards, some limited-distribution mini-sets, and mailaways even if they weren't given away for free. While it would be legitimate to argue against including anything that was put out for sale, I also agreed in principle because those kinds of cards do tend to be overlooked even in the more comprehensive trading card guides especially those in/with magazines.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
There is a section for Wrestling cards in the Beckett Non-Sports Almanac, so at least Beckett sees them as being part of non-sport cards. However the Beckett website has them under Wrestling, in its own category, and not lumped in with non-sport. At one time way back a small number of Wrestling products did get listed in the bi-monthly NSU price card.

Hard to know what they intend to do with it. There is no room in the NSU guide at this point for sure and, since I don't follow these cards, I have no idea if the number of Wrestling card collectors can support a printed price guide on a more frequent schedule. Naturally Beckett is offering an on-line database and pricing if you chose to subscribe.

Since the WWE really kicked in, Wrestling is like a soap opera with steroids. I used to regard it as a sport because pro wrestlers had to be athletic, but now its just scripted entertainment with bad acting from big dudes and babes. I don't know where the cards belong really, if not just left as their own separate catagory.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

I just checked the 2nd Edition of the Beckett Non-Sport Almanac and Wrestling didn't make the cut this time. Maybe that means Wrestling cards have expanded out of the Non-Sport category and will get a stand alone price guide / special issue at some point in time in the near future Thumb Up Yeah, that's some wishful thinking. But have to believe in the power of positivity! Wavey Or just Bo-lieve Cool (for those that haven't followed WWE in a while, those were a couple of wrestling references).

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Watching RAW and the highlights of Ronda Rousey's winning the RAW Women's Championship at last night's Summer Slam. Are Rousey's WWE Topps Now cards going to be her "rookie cards" for wrestling?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Watching RAW and the highlights of Ronda Rousey's winning the RAW Women's Championship at last night's Summer Slam. Are Rousey's WWE Topps Now cards going to be her "rookie cards" for wrestling?

Judging by the current criteria for sports cards, I would say it would fall into a semi-technical "XRC" more than anything. Her first official cards will be in the 2018 Topps WWE Women's Division product coming in the fall.

Posts: 275 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: June 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
I haven't done anything with wrestling cards for a very long time, so this may have changed in recent years, but are there RC or even XRC designated cards now? That was not the case the last time I had anything to do with them.

Rookie cards or pre-rookie cards were so labeled only in sports cards. Wrestling cards were, and probably still are, in that grey area between sport and non-sport. Honestly I put them on the entertainment side once WWE started with its scripted arcs. The rookie card was always determined to be the first appearance in a major league uniform. The XRC or pre-rookie might be in a minor league uniform or some draft picture where no major league games were played to date.

For a long time you had a rookie card designed in the same year for every different set. I think they cut back on that since we were awash with rookie cards at one time and then there was a sliding scale of titles for the best one. Just another way to make collectors pay more for cards that turned out to be very poor investments the vast majority of the times.

Anyway, point being, none of that really applies to a pro wrestler. You could call it first appearance on a licensed wrestling card, but its doubtful that its a rookie. He/she may have been in pro wrestling for several years before becoming known enough to make a set. Also some are always changing their names, so would they get a new rookie every time they came up with a new name and gimmick? Now that I'm thinking about it, there used to be a couple of boxing card sets, and I don't think I ever heard a boxer have a rookie card. There were just star cards and commons, like everything else.

So not that this is a burning question or anything, but based on those established rules for classifying a rookie, while you can identify a first card appearance, how do you designate a RC card or XRC card for any wrestler, boxer, or even Olympic athlete? I don't think you can without changing the "card rookie rules".

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I understand what you mean ... wrestling and rookie cards?!? Sound weird. Elephant
But I was referring more to the "RC" logo that Topps has been putting on WWE cards since 2014 and the "1st Card" logo for NXT since 2015.

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I used to collect all wrestling cards and the promo cards, but I gave up when I discovered that there are all of these Best Buy exclusive DVDs that have been put out over the past 10 years, which contain cards that you can't get anywhere else. I think we had some discussion on it below in the Promo section.

I can't afford $ 40 a DVD, and just looking at ebay, I've seen more than 20 different ones released since 2014...Some are very hard to find now

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BeckettBible24:
quote:

Judging by the current criteria for sports cards, I would say it would fall into a semi-technical "XRC" more than anything. Her first official cards will be in the 2018 Topps WWE Women's Division product coming in the fall.

Pleasantly surprised to see that Ronda Rousey's first WWE card was listed in the September 2018 issue of the Beckett Sports Card Monthly under 2018 Topps Now WWE Thumb Up
Even though the print run for the card (1,342) is higher than the any other Topps Now WWE card, it probably will to be lower than the upcoming Rousey cards coming out from the packs.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Has anyone heard when AEW going to have some trading cards, too?

***UPDATE***
Rumor is that Upper Deck could be making AEW cards. One of the wrestlers posted on social media signing stickers that appeared to have the Upper Deck logo hologram. But no set information has been released.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Heroes For Hire,