Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
The Wrestling Card Price Guide

This topic can be found at:
http://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/656602453/m/912101705

August 12, 2010, 10:21 AM
H_Toser
The Wrestling Card Price Guide
NEW PRODUCT ANNOUNCEMENT!

The 2010 Premiere Edition of The Wrestling Card Price Guide (by Paul Anand) has just been issued. This comprehensive book includes: NSU is now carrying The Wrestling Card Price Guide in the NSU Store.


August 12, 2010, 08:03 PM
Raven
So are you saying that Wrestling Cards belong with non-sport? Big Grin

Just kidding, actually some of the new cards are quite appealing. The only reason I don't buy the autographs more often is because only a few of the current wrestlers sign using their given names. Most will sign under some stage name that is copyrighted by the WWE, and that is not a true autograph to me.
August 12, 2010, 09:55 PM
H_Toser
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
So are you saying that Wrestling Cards belong with non-sport? Big Grin


Oh, that argument again Big Grin

Wrestling is one of those topics that straddle the sports and non-sports hobby and neither will claim it. Kinda like bowling cards, Olympic cards, poker, fishing, and a few others. But we get quite a number of e-mails from people asking about and for wrestling pricing so here's your chance! It's a nicely put together book.
August 13, 2010, 08:41 AM
Ted Dastick Jr.
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
The only reason I don't buy the autographs more often is because only a few of the current wrestlers sign using their given names. Most will sign under some stage name that is copyrighted by the WWE, and that is not a true autograph to me.

I'd rather have a card signed by Hulk Hogan than Terry Bollea. Big Grin
August 13, 2010, 04:11 PM
Bill Mullins
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Most will sign under some stage name that is copyrighted by the WWE

Do you mean trademarked? I don't think you can copyright a name.
August 13, 2010, 10:01 PM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Most will sign under some stage name that is copyrighted by the WWE

Do you mean trademarked? I don't think you can copyright a name.

Yes, if trade mark is the proper term, but the wresting federation owns the rights to those names no matter what its called. If the wrestler leaves without an agreement he/she can not continue to go by whatever moniker they were known under. Its like when Chyna quit to be an actress. She had to use her real name Joan Laurer, even though everyone knew she was Chyna.

Of course the exception is if its their legal name, then they can't be barred from using it. However fewer current wresters perform under their given names than the made up names. So you are more likely to have an Undertaker, or Kane, or MVP, or Big Show than a John Cena or one of the Hardy Boys.

Hulk Hogan became known by that name, so I would have no problem with an autograph like that, but something that just says Layla or Tiffany is not a signature to me. I actually have an old in person autographed card from The Rock, but I wish it was signed Dwayne Johnson. Wink
August 13, 2010, 10:56 PM
H_Toser
Hey, you know the book has a lot more inside then autographs! Big Grin
August 25, 2010, 08:49 AM
Bill Mullins
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:

Yes, if trade mark is the proper term, but the wresting federation owns the rights to those names no matter what its called. If the wrestler leaves without an agreement he/she can not continue to go by whatever moniker they were known under. Its like when Chyna quit to be an actress. She had to use her real name Joan Laurer, even though everyone knew she was Chyna.


"Chyna" is not trademarked. She can call herself that if she wishes.
August 27, 2010, 10:48 AM
Mister E.
Great ! Now I can find out all I need to know about my vast amount of Wrasslin' cards. My order will be out Sept.1 and my renewal subscripton to NSU magazine also. Clap

____________________
The early bird catches the worm, the second mouse gets the cheese.
August 28, 2010, 09:21 PM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
"Chyna" is not trademarked. She can call herself that if she wishes.

Chyna held a private signing in Howard Beach, NY, back when she had stopped wrestling and was doing 3rd Rock From the Sun. I attended along with a whole line of other people and got 2 photos signed and a bunch of pictures of the event. Both photos were autographed with her real name Joanie Laurer because at that time she was forbidden to use the name Chyna. We were told that she could not sign it even if requested and the whole engagement was advertised under her real name. That is what I know to be true because I was there, and she was an extremely pleasant person and talked willingly to all her fans and took free photos I might add.

Now since then she may have come to an agreement with the federation because she is no longer acting and the she seems to be using Chyna again, at least on the web anyway. Smile

Sorry Harris, I know its about the Wrestling Card Price Guide. Big Grin
September 01, 2010, 09:12 AM
Bill Mullins
The trademark office allows you to search its database online. The trademark that Wrestling used to have on "Chyna" is dead. It is no longer trademarked.
September 01, 2010, 09:49 PM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Mullins:
The trademark office allows you to search its database online. The trademark that Wrestling used to have on "Chyna" is dead. It is no longer trademarked.

Nice research, so I guess we were both right. Smile
September 03, 2010, 07:31 AM
Bill DeFranzo
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
I'd rather have a card signed by Hulk Hogan than Terry Bollea. Big Grin


I'd rather have a card signed by Ted Dastick Jr. than Hulk Hogan. Wink

Wait! I do!!!

____________________
Bill D.

AKA: Promo Czar (self-appointed)
September 03, 2010, 09:51 AM
promoking
Does it list prices for promo cards as well??

____________________
September 03, 2010, 10:06 AM
H_Toser
quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
Does it list prices for promo cards as well??


Yes, in many cases, it does.
September 03, 2010, 01:09 PM
Ted Dastick Jr.
quote:
Originally posted by Bill DeFranzo:
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
I'd rather have a card signed by Hulk Hogan than Terry Bollea. Big Grin


I'd rather have a card signed by Ted Dastick Jr. than Hulk Hogan. Wink

Wait! I do!!!

Listen up brother, and for all my other Dastickmaniacs out there.... say your prayers, eat your vitamins, and buy non-sport cards!

*tears shirt off*

Thumb Up
September 03, 2010, 02:31 PM
Mister E.
" Oooooooooooooh Yeah !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Metal

____________________
The early bird catches the worm, the second mouse gets the cheese.
August 19, 2012, 06:57 PM
Heroes For Hire
Toooo sweeeeet!! Dance
A wrestling price guide!
Disregard the post asking about wrestling in NSU Twak
January 20, 2018, 04:06 PM
Heroes For Hire
It's probably time for an updated version of a Wrestling cards & collectibles price guide Wink
August 10, 2018, 08:53 PM
Heroes For Hire
Since WWE is having a Pay-Per-View called "Evolution" then the next chapter of wrestling price guides has to be close at hand Thumb Up