Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

October/November 2019 Issue
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted
Came a couple of days ago. Lots of old cards and older titles covered like Horror Sets of the 80's and 90's, GPK and Mad, along with the next Stranger Things cards, which won't be showing Season 3 because of the timing.

Also something many have asked for, an interview with a set sketch artist, Alex Mines. No trade secrets revealed, but it's a good read with nice sketch examples.

Posts: 10382 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AWR
posted Hide Post
Really enjoyed Alan Biegel's Cardboard Conversation. Being on the older side, I still prefer waiting a bit between episodes of shows to binge watching all episodes in single weekend. With shows on NetFlix (and other streaming services), I can only watch 2 or 3 episodes at a time before I need to take a break.

Posts: 382 | Location: Califon, NJ | Registered: October 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My local comic store did not get these yet

What promo cards were inside ?

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Just had my copy come through the letterbox. The promo cards are:-

DC Comics Bombshells P5 - Cryptozoic
MST3K Sketch Card Gallery 4 - RRParks cards
6th Halloween P1 - RRParks cards
Lost in Space P1 art by Ron Gross - Monsterwax

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I stopped at a local Barnes & Noble today and it hasn't arrived there either (still had one copy of the August/September issue).

quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of stevetrek
posted Hide Post
I have not received mine yet. I hope I don't have buy another one again.

Posts: 900 | Location: IL | Registered: February 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
I stopped at B&N yesterday and I didn’t find the new one either, but found the previous issue.

quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
I stopped at a local Barnes & Noble today and it hasn't arrived there either (still had one copy of the August/September issue).

quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of promoking
posted Hide Post
Got mine. No article on promo cards. How come?

Posts: 1019 | Location: Overseas | Registered: May 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Promoking,

I did find the latest issue last Saturday, and like you, I was disappointed to find there wasn't a promo card column in it. There wasn't one in the previous issue so there should've been one this time.

I like the promo column because Chuck Veditz talks about a few different sets in each one, and even though I've collected promos since the mid-90's, he often discusses a set I haven't seen before.

Promo collecting is on the rebound. People are buying again. It appears a lot of collectors, including me, are picking up bargains when they see them but they are also paying up when a widely-recognized scarcity appears (Babylon 5 Season 4 Gummie went for $90 this year and a Marvel Universe IV red foil sample sheet just went for over $100). NSU seems to be on top of
what in-demand autographs and sketches are going for but it's not really tracking promo sales. I realize promos might not be regularly going for hundreds of dollars, so there's less of a "wow factor," but there are a lot of casual to serious promo collectors out there and anyone who hung onto the ones they picked up in the 90's and 2000's has to be wondering if any of them could be considered "hot" too.

On the plus side, I did like the "Mad Magazine" article. I haven't read the magazine in years - decades really - but it was sad to hear a couple of months ago that it's pretty much shutting down. The article did not report that there was also a factory set that included the Series 1 and Series 2 base sets plus the four Spy vs. Spy promos and I think the same gold hologram otherwise only available through a mail-in offer. The article did note The Final Edition boxed set but should have added that there was one of three different card prototypes (otherwise tough to get) inserted as well.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by promoking:
Got mine. No article on promo cards. How come?

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My local comic store received these on Oct 30

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Curler
posted Hide Post
I picked up this issue today. The four promo cards were in it, and the DC Bombshells Series III promo is P3.

Posts: 381 | Location: Nova Scotia | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post