Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Feb/Mar Issue is in the House!
 Login/Join

NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted
Got my latest issue today. A great cover, this one will fly off the shelves. Inside is Mars Attacks, Charlie's Angels, and an interview with Ted Dastick. 2 cool promos from Cryptozoic and RR Parks.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
That was fast. I found the Dec 2019/Jan 2020 issue just five weeks ago - the Saturday before Christmas.

I just noticed that no one started a topic for that issue. It had a good article on the new Lost in Space sets. The cool artwork set by Monsterwax and the one on the Netflix show. I liked the interview with the sketch artist, Charles Hall. It didn't have a promo column. Has the magazine stopped doing that? That was the second issue in a row without one.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Don Norton:
Got my latest issue today. A great cover, this one will fly off the shelves. Inside is Mars Attacks, Charlie's Angels, and an interview with Ted Dastick. 2 cool promos from Cryptozoic and RR Parks.

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Got mine today as well. I can't thank the NSU crew enough for the feature. I've actually got a card featured in the Mars Attacks: Uprising article as well. I'm honored to have been selected for this issue! Metal

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Mine arrived here in the UK today. The Ultraman card was P1 having a puzzle piece front. Was this a one off or will there be other puzzle piece cards to collect?

regards

John

Posts: 2117 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Got mine last Friday, promos P1 for Ultraman and P2 for Outlander Season 4.

Being the No. 1 issue for 2020, I liked the 2020 Vision preview. I also thought the Ted Talks article was better than the usual interview, but too short. With an artist, you have to show some sketches and ask questions. The questions were good, so there should have been room for more. I enjoyed reading the story of the rejected Star Wars panels and seeing the completed sketch with Larry from the Three Stooges added in. It could have used another page when you have someone who is providing good insight into the sketch card process.

While I like that vintage cards are getting represented more in NSU, this issue was weighted a bit heavier in that direction than I would have liked, with articles on Charlie's Angels, 1966 Batman and 10 forgotten sets all in the same issue. I would still rather see commentary on new or recent products.

Posts: 10369 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I also thought the Ted Talks article was better than the usual interview, but too short. With an artist, you have to show some sketches and ask questions. The questions were good, so there should have been room for more. I enjoyed reading the story of the rejected Star Wars panels and seeing the completed sketch with Larry from the Three Stooges added in. It could have used another page when you have someone who is providing good insight into the sketch card process.

Appreciate the comments, I'm glad you found it interesting. Maybe they'll be nice enough to have me back for Part 2? Big Grin Thumb Up

Posts: 1568 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Kennywood
posted Hide Post
I've not received my copy in the mail yet. Usually, I have it by now. I hope this isn't another "missing issue" problem like I had last year. It was rather difficult to get the new ownership to send a replacement copy.

Posts: 7361 | Location: the wonderful state of Denial | Registered: January 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I stopped at a local Barnes & Noble on my way to work today and found this new issue there. I thought the Mars Attacks article was too long but liked the Charlie's Angels one. I have a few of the Mexican cards so it was great to see them mentioned. I found them in a bargain box years ago and couldn't resist.

I read your interview. Not being someone who has a big sketch collection, I have to admit that I know you more from your posts here than your art but you do a great job of capturing faces from different angles. I learned who Bettie Page was from Dave Stevens work and seeing the 90's cards for sale. It appears that you put extra effort into getting her face right and I see that on the card shown of Carrie Fisher as Princess Leia, recognizing Dan Ackroyd right away as well. Nice work. If I were an artist, I'd want to do a lot of Star Wars stuff too.

Jess

quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
I also thought the Ted Talks article was better than the usual interview, but too short. With an artist, you have to show some sketches and ask questions. The questions were good, so there should have been room for more. I enjoyed reading the story of the rejected Star Wars panels and seeing the completed sketch with Larry from the Three Stooges added in. It could have used another page when you have someone who is providing good insight into the sketch card process.

Appreciate the comments, I'm glad you found it interesting. Maybe they'll be nice enough to have me back for Part 2? Big Grin Thumb Up

Posts: 4372 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Kennywood
posted Hide Post
My issue arrived in the mail yesterday. It's about 2 weeks later than usual. I wonder if there was a problem in the postal system along the way.

Posts: 7361 | Location: the wonderful state of Denial | Registered: January 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ted Dastick Jr.:
Got mine today as well. I can't thank the NSU crew enough for the feature. I've actually got a card featured in the Mars Attacks: Uprising article as well. I'm honored to have been selected for this issue! Metal

Ted - Good to read the article - Top Man Thumb Up

Posts: 12152 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post