Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
2021 Non-Sport Almanac #7
 Login/Join
 
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
Here are some “Fans of the Game” autographs over the years that I found that seem to be more related the non-sports . . .

Fans of the Game Autographs

2004 Absolute Memorabilia #FG1B, Erik Estrada
Parallel numbered to 300

2004 Donruss Elite #201, James Gandolfini

2004 Donruss World Series #1, Val Kilmer
2004 Donruss World Series #2, Stan Lee
2004 Donruss World Series #4, Gene Shalit
2004 Donruss World Series #5, Leeann Tweeden

2004 Leaf Rookies and Stars #FG3, Damien Fahey
2004 Leaf Rookies and Stars #FG4, Jackie Manson
2004 Leaf Rookies and Stars #FG5, Bob Saget

2004 Leather and Lumber #1, John Tavolta (150)
2004 Leather and Lumber #2, Dennis Haysbert
2004 Leather and Lumber #3, Chris O’Donnell
2004 Leather and Lumber #5, Jules Asner (300)

2004 Playoff Honors #234 (Giants), Ray Romano (sp)
2004 Playoff Honors (Jets), #234, Ray Romano (sp)
2004 Playoff Honors #235, Darius Rucker

2004 Playoff Honors #238, John O’Hurley
2004 Playoff Honors #251, Charlie Sheen (250)
2004 Playoff Honors #252, Corbin Bernsen
2004 Playoff Honors #254, Jeff Garlin (200)
2004 Playoff Honors #255, Larry King

2004 Studio #216, Regis Philbin
2004 Studio #217, Dennis Leary
2004 Studio #219, Steve Schirripa
2004 Studio #220, Adam Mesh (300)

2004 Throwback Threads #1, Emilio Estevez
2004 Throwback Threads #2, Shannon Elizabeth
2004 Throwback Threads #3, Joe Mantegna
2004 Throwback Threads #4, Jamie-Lynn DiScala
2004 Throwback Threads #5, Jonathan Silverman

2005 Donruss #1, Jesse Ventura
2005 Donruss #2, John C. McGinley (300)
2005 Donruss #3, Susie Essman
2005 Donruss #4, Dean Cain (250)
2005 Donruss #5, Meat Loaf

2005 Leaf #1, Sean Aston
2005 Leaf #2, Tony Danza (50)
2005 Leaf #3, Taye Diggs

2005 Playoff Prestige #2, Tia Carrere

2010-11 Donruss #2, Pamela Anderson
2010-11 Donruss #3, Justin Bieber
2010-11 Donruss #5, Willa Ford

2010-11 Pinnacle #1, Noureen DeWulf
2010-11 Pinnacle #3, Duff Goldman

2011-12 Pinnacle #7, Alyssa Milano
2011-12 Pinnacle #8, Jaime Pressly

2013-14 Panini Crown Royale #FG-AP, Audrina Patridge (99)
2013-14 Panini Crown Royale #FG-KB, Katrina Bowden (99)
2013-14 Panini Crown Royale #FG-JM, John C. McGinley (99)
Parallel:
Purple (1)

2016 Donruss #1, Daisy Ridley (sp)
2016 Donruss #2, Al Pacino (sp)
2016 Donruss #3, Megan Fox (sp)
2016 Donruss #4, Skylar Aston
2016 Donruss #5, Daniella Monet
2016 Donruss #6, Marissa Miller
2016 Donruss #7, Darryl McDaniels
Parallels:
Optic (5)
Optic Gold Vinyl (1)

2017 Donruss #1, Joey Belladonna
2017 Donruss #2, Genevieve Morton
Parallels:
Optic (10)
Gold Vinyl (1)

2018 Donruss #1, James Cann
2018 Donruss #2, Chris Evans
2018 Donruss #4, Drea De Matteo
Parallels:
Optic (15)
Optic Gold Vinyl (1)

2019 Donruss #1, Erin Andrews
2019 Donruss #2, Rob Riggle
2019 Donruss #3, Melissa Baker
Parallels:
Optic (25)
Optic Gold Vinyl (1)
 
Posts: 646 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
Over the years, Topps Archives baseball has had some non-sport autographs . . .

2012 Topps Archives, Box Topper Autographs (aka Karate Kid autos)
#KK-1 Martin Kove
#KK-2 Billy Zabka

2013 Topps Archives, Heavy Metal Autographs

2014 Topps Archives, Major League Autographs

2015 Topps Archives, Will Ferrell Autographs

2016 Topps Archives, Bull Durham Autographs

2018 Topps Archives, The Sandlot Autographs
 
Posts: 646 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Regarding the new price guide
I realise that we all want to know what our cards are worth but as we are all supposed collectors and know our hobby I can not see the need for this to be a detailed issue
After all the price guide dose not matter at all
All buyers that have price guides explain it all these prices are not what we will pay to buy cards , they are what we sell them for.
No matter what a card is listed at VERY rarely dose any seller get full list price for it , mostly it sits in the BIN or make an offer listing because after all your card is not wanted or too expensive.
I think that even though most Non Sports cards have had a small rise in price this dose not mean that every one is going to buy we need a larger rise to bring the speculators into our hobby and create at least a one year for this to continue , and we need it all over the hobby not just Marvel or certain Franchises all over so that when a bubble occurs it will be easier to sell your cards
And you will not need a Almanac to do this as Speculators Have only one thing in mind MAKING MONEY
And who wants to spend hours tabulating all your card prices and finding out you can still only get a certainly lower price for your card that you paid a lot more for
A new price list is only going to make it more depressing
My Rant
Piko
 
Posts: 709 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Piko,

I see your point but what the Almanac does do is tell collectors what range the cards have been selling for. That provides a reference for a deal. I can say to you that the card you want to buy from me has been selling for $50-65 according to "the book." You might think that is a steal or you might say that you won't go any higher than $40 because that's more in the range of what you've been seeing it sell for since the Almanac was released. From there we either meet in the middle or we don't but at least we have that reference.

I saw one set of stickers sell for over $1000 earlier this year but this month I saw that a guy sold several sets for $12 and one set sold at auction for just over $100. That is some crazy action. The interesting thing about the Almanac is that Matt is going to stop gathering the pricing at the end of this month and the next Almanac is going to be released late next month or in September. It might catch a lot of cards as they are falling back to earth in value or some of them might still be riding a high. I have seen that some cards haven't moved at all in the past year and a half.

I'm looking forward to going through the new edition.

Jess

This message has been edited. Last edited by: catskilleagle,
 
Posts: 3386 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
There have been price guides periodically issued for every mainstream collectibles market that I can think of, for as far back as I can remember. Both dedicated collectors and amateur observers alike use them now and then. I can remember picking up those little green books on coins and paper money at the candy store and searching through my piggy bank and allowance money for something rare. How's that for a mental image. Big Grin

As experienced card collectors, we all know what price guides and Almanacs are and what they are not, as it pertains to actually trying to sell your collection or adding to it or just enjoying it yourself. We all want to think the things we keep are worth something to someone else and a dollar figure will do that. To me its just a tool to help you find your price, whatever you think that is. There are other tools and other factors to consider.

I'm more excited to get the 2021 Almanac just because Mr. Bible has been giving us these updates. There seems to be a good faith effort to make the ranges more accurate to the current market and it certainly needed it. It's not an easy job and I don't think one person can do it all, I know I couldn't.

Will any of the price changes make me buy one more card, or sell one more card or adjust my own internal pricing system for how much I will spend or accept on a card? No, it won't.

It won't hurt either. Smile
 
Posts: 9441 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
possibly my outlook on this matter is a bit slanted .
As I only collect one genre and in that one franchise wich I know what is out there
What is rare and hard to get .
In my mind there is no need for a price list as I know when a card of my genre and franchise comes up I basically know what to pay or offer for it .
If it comes cheap so be it.
At present all the posts seem to be about Autograph cards and nothing else , we dont all collect Autograph cards .
Mabey it is time to issue smaller and cheaper lists or almanacs of card genres
EG Autographs Pieceworks
SDCC Issues
Star Trek Star Wars
Promos
Franchises etc
There are lists of these available on the Internet but no pricing .
I am sure these would go over big time and negate the need for a big tome with font we can hardly read If every item and card was entered it would possibly be a foot thick
And Catalogues & Almanacs are not cheap these days
And in my opinion too much for one person to handle
Taking all this ranting into account I too will probably purchase one.
.
 
Posts: 709 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: November 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I personally find pricing entirely useless, but I spent a significant amount of time over the years reading price guides to learn what products were out there and what those sets included.

Clearly pricing is good from a marketing perspective -- it creates an incentive to buy the new book even if you aren't looking for information about sets released since the last book.
 
Posts: 5169 | Location: Parts Unknown. | Registered: January 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
There is a Star Wars collectibles guide that has coverage of cards but I don't think it's comprehensive. Yeah, most Star Wars card collectors would want a price guide that has the big releases along with all the product premiums from around the world going back to 1977.

Jess


quote:
Originally posted by piko:
possibly my outlook on this matter is a bit slanted .
As I only collect one genre and in that one franchise wich I know what is out there
What is rare and hard to get .
In my mind there is no need for a price list as I know when a card of my genre and franchise comes up I basically know what to pay or offer for it .
If it comes cheap so be it.
At present all the posts seem to be about Autograph cards and nothing else , we dont all collect Autograph cards .
Mabey it is time to issue smaller and cheaper lists or almanacs of card genres
EG Autographs Pieceworks
SDCC Issues
Star Trek Star Wars
Promos
Franchises etc
There are lists of these available on the Internet but no pricing .
I am sure these would go over big time and negate the need for a big tome with font we can hardly read If every item and card was entered it would possibly be a foot thick
And Catalogues & Almanacs are not cheap these days
And in my opinion too much for one person to handle
Taking all this ranting into account I too will probably purchase one.
.
 
Posts: 3386 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
As mentioned in other posts, I too am a person that is not interested in price guides as such but then again I am a "card collector". What I would like is something along the lines of Todd's opus "The Encyclopedia of Non Sports cards" etc. covering all the cards issued since that publication but I cannot see that happening any time soon which is why I make-do with Allender's listings but making allowances for errors and lack of updates.

regards

John

____________________
 
Posts: 1967 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
The thing that I enjoy about the NSU magazine, Star Wars Collectibles Price Guide and the Wrestling Almanac are the various Top 10 and 20 Lists and Hot Lists. I know it would be a an extremely difficult task to compile an all encompassing individual card Hot List looking at the whole non-sport genre. But maybe a few smaller Hot Lists could included like the GPK Hot Lists in the 2020 Non-Sport Almanac?

The Hot Lists could possibly include subjects like: Star Trek, Star Wars, Marvel/DC, GPK, and Fortnite (since it’ll be the cover subject) can also add television shows, movies, and/or other modern sets to capture auto cards or memorabilia cards of popular LOTR and The Rock for inclusion.

Since it’s a late request and identifying individual cards for each may prove to be rather time consuming, make it simpler by doing a list of Top Characters for some topics. That way late heating up characters Loki and Kang could be included. Other topics like Top 10 sets and sketch artists could be option if the information is already available.
 
Posts: 646 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Instead of prices that are meaningless, how about some sort of range estimate? I price all my cards as #xx. # is a number from 1-9. xx means it is in the hundreds. This way, I have a rough estimate that doesn't become obsolete quickly.
 
Posts: 14 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post



Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassam Abdul-Baki:
Instead of prices that are meaningless, how about some sort of range estimate? I price all my cards as #xx. # is a number from 1-9. xx means it is in the hundreds. This way, I have a rough estimate that doesn't become obsolete quickly.


Can you elaborate more about your range estimate, please? What if it’s not in the hundreds?
 
Posts: 646 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
It’s August! Really interesting seeing some of changes that was pointed out over the last year.
Can’t wait to see the new Almanac!
 
Posts: 646 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Hi Piko,

I can tell you that promo prices were checked for the Almanac as well. I don't know if all of them were but a significant number were checked earlier this year and then updated in the past month.

Right. The price guide really isn't for someone like you looking for a tight selection of cards. You're down to just a few cards so you already have an idea what they have sold for. A price guide is more for newbies, collectors with a lot of different cards, collectors considering cards they are less-familiar with, and dealers. Guides are also interesting to flip through if you have time on your hands (car in the shop, hospital waiting room, hanging out at a motel/hotel, etc.).

The more specific you make the guide, the smaller the number of potential buyers gets. You could do a Star Trek guide but not all Star Trek card collectors would be interested. Some of them also feel like they have an idea of the going-rate for most things already because they have most of the cards they want.
If someone does do a Star Trek guide or another similarly-limited guide, I think the manufacturer needs to sweeten the deal with an exclusive trading card. Give collectors another reason to buy a copy - a card they don't have.

Jess


quote:
Originally posted by piko:
possibly my outlook on this matter is a bit slanted .
As I only collect one genre and in that one franchise wich I know what is out there
What is rare and hard to get .
In my mind there is no need for a price list as I know when a card of my genre and franchise comes up I basically know what to pay or offer for it .
If it comes cheap so be it.
At present all the posts seem to be about Autograph cards and nothing else , we dont all collect Autograph cards .
Mabey it is time to issue smaller and cheaper lists or almanacs of card genres
EG Autographs Pieceworks
SDCC Issues
Star Trek Star Wars
Promos
Franchises etc
There are lists of these available on the Internet but no pricing .
I am sure these would go over big time and negate the need for a big tome with font we can hardly read If every item and card was entered it would possibly be a foot thick
And Catalogues & Almanacs are not cheap these days
And in my opinion too much for one person to handle
Taking all this ranting into account I too will probably purchase one.
.
 
Posts: 3386 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by catskilleagle:
A price guide is more for newbies, collectors with a lot of different cards, collectors considering cards they are less-familiar with, and dealers.

Jess

Bi-monthly price guides and Almanacs when properly updated are also good for seeing trends, what's gone up, what's come down and what's the latest fad.

The problem is that card collectors expect guides to be all encompassing checklists for whatever genre segment or titles they are interested in. In practical terms that's too many lines, too many pages, too much unreadably small font, and it's all for cards that are close to being 80% common values. Even larger Almanacs that should be more complete can't handle it all and still print at a cost the publisher can sell it for and make some profit.

Plus times have changed and the completist collector is mostly gone, but those that remain have a tight focus that doesn't waiver too far from the core interest. So price guides and Almanacs that are still trying to cover everything, except for what they have decided to leave out entirely, are doing it for collectors that can get the checklists elsewhere and already know the sets.

What completists and more casual card collectors really want to know about is the big cards and specifically how much the guide says they are worth based on recent recorded sales and how it is changing from the last time.

I would be very happy to see an Almanac that doesn't breakdown base cards or common value cards. A couple of lines can cover the number of cards and the price range of all base, parallel and insert sets, along with the common card range of say $.25 - $10. Don't even mention an individual card unless its low column is $10 and over. That will get the guide the most bang for the buck of printing a separate line and it will allow the font to be larger and more products put in.

I know the idea won't fly for 2021, but its something to consider as the Almanacs keep getting harder to print. The majority of card collectors want good collections and being human, they measure good collections in dollars and cents. Extensively and accurately cover the top 25% in non-sport cards and lump all cards under a minimum value, $10 more or less, as unnamed commons. Most readers are only looking for the big in-demand cards anyway, so give then what they want. Smile
 
Posts: 9441 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heroes For Hire:
Can you elaborate more about your range estimate, please? What if it’s not in the hundreds?


$1 --> $1
$2 --> $2
$3 --> $3
$4 --> $4
$5 --> $5
$6 --> $6
$7 --> $7
$8 --> $8
$9 --> $9
$10-$19 --> $1X
$20-$29 --> $2X
$30-$39 --> $3X
$40-$49 --> $4X
$50-$59 --> $5X
$60-$69 --> $6X
$70-$79 --> $7X
$80-$89 --> $8X
$90-$99 --> $9X
$100-$199 --> $1XX
$200-$299 --> $2XX
$300-$399 --> $3XX
$400-$499 --> $4XX
$500-$599 --> $5XX
$600-$699 --> $6XX
$700-$799 --> $7XX
$800-$899 --> $8XX
$900-$999 --> $9XX
$1000-$1999 --> $1XXX
$2000-$2999 --> $2XXX

etc.

If you feel that the range becomes too wide, you can use the first two digits and make the rest X's.
 
Posts: 14 | Location: Virginia, USA | Registered: March 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I used to go by a similar value range breakdown for promos (rough numbers in my own head though those numbers were based on sales I knew of):

$0.25-2 - all the super-common promos
$3-5 - common promos but they're a little more in demand
$5-10 - promos you can find but not always available
$10-25 - uncommon promos
$25-50 - rarer ones
%50-100 - rare cards you might see once per year or every two years
$100-250 - rare cards you've seen just a few times in person
$250-500 - super-rare cards you've seen in person once or twice in your life
over $500 - cards you've heard about and you've started saving photos of when you see one

Of course, there are lots of rare promos that aren't tied to a scale increasing value - cards maybe just a few collectors even want. Now, that I'm checking completed auctions and BINs more often, I use the ranges I see rather than the ranges I set before. When there are several sales, I throw out the lowest and highest and use the cluster of what's in-between.

Jess
 
Posts: 3386 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the Almanac could save a lot of space deleting the "common card" line for the base cards. If there's already a range for the set value, it would be understood that base cards, as a rule, are worth just 10-20 cents, if that. More than a few times, I've seen collectors offer to give those singles to others who want them. If it's some uncommon set or some base card is valued above the others for some reason, then I would understand having that extra line.

Jess


quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by catskilleagle:
A price guide is more for newbies, collectors with a lot of different cards, collectors considering cards they are less-familiar with, and dealers.

Jess

Bi-monthly price guides and Almanacs when properly updated are also good for seeing trends, what's gone up, what's come down and what's the latest fad.

The problem is that card collectors expect guides to be all encompassing checklists for whatever genre segment or titles they are interested in. In practical terms that's too many lines, too many pages, too much unreadably small font, and it's all for cards that are close to being 80% common values. Even larger Almanacs that should be more complete can't handle it all and still print at a cost the publisher can sell it for and make some profit.

Plus times have changed and the completist collector is mostly gone, but those that remain have a tight focus that doesn't waiver too far from the core interest. So price guides and Almanacs that are still trying to cover everything, except for what they have decided to leave out entirely, are doing it for collectors that can get the checklists elsewhere and already know the sets.

What completists and more casual card collectors really want to know about is the big cards and specifically how much the guide says they are worth based on recent recorded sales and how it is changing from the last time.

I would be very happy to see an Almanac that doesn't breakdown base cards or common value cards. A couple of lines can cover the number of cards and the price range of all base, parallel and insert sets, along with the common card range of say $.25 - $10. Don't even mention an individual card unless its low column is $10 and over. That will get the guide the most bang for the buck of printing a separate line and it will allow the font to be larger and more products put in.

I know the idea won't fly for 2021, but its something to consider as the Almanacs keep getting harder to print. The majority of card collectors want good collections and being human, they measure good collections in dollars and cents. Extensively and accurately cover the top 25% in non-sport cards and lump all cards under a minimum value, $10 more or less, as unnamed commons. Most readers are only looking for the big in-demand cards anyway, so give then what they want. Smile
 
Posts: 3386 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
One thing I've noticed after looking closely at prices of a variety of cards over the past two years is how stable they can be. As an example, the WA1 Jill St. John autograph card from the Women of James Bond in Motion set (RA, 2003) has consistently sold in the $25-50 range over the past year and a half. It bumped up a bit from a $15-40 range seen in 2019. There was a sale of $89 in mid-2020 but that was the only outlier I saw, the rest were clustered between $25 and $50. Matt must've seen the same general thing and he probably had more numbers. All the sales I've seen this year so far have been between $25-50. I understand it as seasoned collectors, as a group, having a feel for what's a good deal and what's the high end but still acceptable. The outlier might have been someone willing to overpay to finish a set or maybe it was Robert Wagner.
 
Posts: 3386 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
Yeah, the Almanac could save a lot of space deleting the "common card" line for the base cards. If there's already a range for the set value, it would be understood that base cards, as a rule, are worth just 10-20 cents, if that. More than a few times, I've seen collectors offer to give those singles to others who want them. If it's some uncommon set or some base card is valued above the others for some reason, then I would understand having that extra line.
[/QUOTE]

Hey Jess,

I was actually proposing a much bigger cut than that. They can leave the common line for base cards, parallel cards, insert cards, autograph cards and other hits. I was a suggesting a baseline value for a card to be individually listed.

As an example, many autograph cards will have a range of $8 - $20. I saying if the low column isn't at least $10, that card should be lumped into the common line range and not individually listed.

I know its an Almanac, but its not a checklist and there are many cards worth only a few bucks in the low column (where low is generally the truer price} that are taking up room that could be used to better advantage.
 
Posts: 9441 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4 5  
 


© Non-Sport Update 2013