Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

February/March Cover
 Login/Join

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted
I was kind of wondering about the process of choosing NSU covers, and specifically the cover of the most recent mag.

The picture is on the main page now. It features a character from the Walking Dead show, sitting in a chair, looking straight ahead and holding a very large knife. It is dark and has wasted wall space.

If there is another contest for 2014 covers this will probably be among my least favorites. Wink Unlike the somewhat similar American Horror cover, it says nothing about the show. People unfamilar with WD would not necessarily know who this was or where the picture came from. Honestly it could be more at home in a sporting mag or Guns and Ammo. Big Grin

I think the NSU cover shots should reflect the new, hot products, but not to the extent that it doesn't look like a card collectors magazine, and this one doesn't. It is way too dark and non-descript to appeal to the eye also. At least that's my reaction and I was wondering how others felt.

Posts: 10387 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Editor-in-Chief
Picture of A_Biegel
posted Hide Post
Season 3 of The Walking Dead is all about the villainous Governor so it was important for us to feature him on our cover. We chose this particular image because it’s so unexpected as opposed to the typical action shot. The fact that The Governor is holding such a large Bowie knife while maintaining a relaxed pose adds a sinister air to the scene. We’re also betting that the knife is not the first thing you see when looking at the cover, so it generates a little surprise when you finally do notice it. The feeling we got from the image is that something bad is about to happen and since that’s a running theme throughout the series it seemed to fit. Anyway, that was our thinking. It’s interesting to us that Cryptozoic chose a similar image for their box art.
~Alan

This message has been edited. Last edited by: A_Biegel,

Posts: 189 | Location: Bayonne, NJ USA | Registered: December 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
It won't win by 2014 Cover of the year either (I Hope Big Grin)

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your reply Alan. Since only hammer has weighed in with an opinion so far, I can't say as my take on the cover photo is off base or not, but I will stand by it anyway. Big Grin

And the blade is actually the first thing you see when looking at this picture because it is placed as the center object and because the silver stands out against the darker background. As to using the Governor, people who don't watch the show don't know the character, where as even non-viewers can recognize the semi-heroes from previous seasons.

Regardless, NSU usually has terrific cover art and pictures, so I hope you file my comments under constructive critism. Wink

Posts: 10387 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Editor-in-Chief
Picture of A_Biegel
posted Hide Post
Absolutely, Raven. Actually, I wish we got more comments, good and bad, about covers, articles, columns, the price guide, etc. NSU is more than just free promo cards and it's appreciated when readers respond to content as well.

Anyway, to sum up what we were going for with the Feb/Mar cover in one word: foreboding. How successful we were will be measured by readers like you. Thanks.
~Alan

Posts: 189 | Location: Bayonne, NJ USA | Registered: December 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
The covers are top class - I agree with Raven that this one is very dark.

Posts: 12154 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Salama
posted Hide Post
Arrived today Thumb Up

Posts: 188 | Location: Finland | Registered: November 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Contest Czar
Picture of barobehere
posted Hide Post
Considering that The Governor is one of my favorite characters on The Walking Dead television show, I got the issue and thought it was a great cover. It is a great image. I enjoyed seeing him there instead of the regular list of "hero" characters.

Posts: 5776 | Location: Meridian, Mississippi | Registered: November 23, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Editor-in-Chief
Picture of A_Biegel
posted Hide Post
Still keeping count, Raven?

~Alan

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A_Biegel:
Still keeping count, Raven?

~Alan

Nope. Big Grin