Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oct/Nov 2017 issue - Island Time
 Login/Join

Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heroes For Hire:
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
There is a new feature in the in the Oct/Nov issue called the Hot List. Its one page with photos of 20 cards with prices. All cards are from 2017 products and are over $100. Not surprisingly almost all are autographed cards, with a couple of wardrobe cards and two groups of sketches.

I like it. Showing current hot cards is something that has always been done with sports cards. Now here's my questions since I can agree with some of these cards, but would not have chosen others or can think of some better choices . . .

On what basis are these particular cards chosen and who picks them?

Would a hot card always have to be a recent release, as these are, or can an older card with increased activity be recognized as being hot too?

Should multiple cards from the same product be picked, as they are here for Gotham, Orphan Black, Game of Thrones, Spider-Man Homecoming, James Bond Final and Outlander or should it be restricted to one per product to spread it around?

Is it fair to include an entire grope like Marvel Premiere sketches and Star Wars 40th Anniversary sketches, as that may be a hot product or hot segment, but it is not a hot individual card?

Interested in hearing your thoughts.

In an effort to see a little more variety, maybe the 20-card The Hot List could be broken down into different categories. Perhaps a Top 10 for autographs, Top 5 for relics, and then a Top 5 for sketch cards. Another category that could be rotated in for inserts/base cards, too.

Doing this would limit the amount of autograph cards dominating the majority list. Relics and sketch cards would have more representation. Cards like autographed relic cards would fall in the relic category so I guess that would be a loophole about the amount of auto being listed, but there still would be more relics shown regardless. Sketch cards would then expanded out of a generalization mention to actually naming a few artists to be aware of. Let's face it, there no real chase for modern regular base cards unless it's a short print but you never know so combining base with inserts would a catch all for even collectibles like DC Bombshells Golden Goddess figures.

I like the idea of having categories for the Hot List. I'd like to see Top 10 sketch cards, Top 10 autographs, and Top 10 boxes or overall product.

Posts: 1343 | Location: Frederick, MD USA | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WandringRebel:
I like the idea of having categories for the Hot List. I'd like to see Top 10 sketch cards, Top 10 autographs, and Top 10 boxes or overall product.

That sounds cool. In your opinion, could the Top 10 Sketch cards have the same artist but from different sets? For example, Tony Perna sketch cards for 2017 DC Bombshells in the Number 1 spot and then him again in the Number 10 spot for his sketch cards out of 2014 Marvel Premier?

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
My local comic store said he's not getting the Oct/Nov issue until November 8

Wonder why so late ?

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommy C:
My local comic store said he's not getting the Oct/Nov issue until November 8

Wonder why so late ?

That almost sounds like it should be for the Dec/Jan issue Eek

Posts: 683 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Now my local comic store was told today that they're not sending him this issue until Jan 10

Incidentally, what promos are in this issue ?

Posts: 3999 | Location: NY | Registered: August 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now my local comic store was told today that they're not sending him this issue until Jan 10

Jan 10? Wow....Our Feb/Mar '17 issue will just about be shipping by then.

The Oct/Nov issue has Star Trek: Beyond, Arrow Season 4, and Halloween Series promos from RRParks CARDS.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of CordeliaChase_Fan
posted Hide Post
quote:

My comics shop(that I work at) had this issue- not sure if we still do though as that was a few weeks back.

Posts: 1314 | Location: Rego Park, NY | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
This is all very strange. I looked at the Diamond Previews website, the comic book distributor.

In terms of New Releases for NSU, they show issue # 5 (which is the Gilligan's Island cover) to be released in stores Nov 8, yet they show the cover of BUFFY, the prior issue for # 5

For Jan 10, 2018 release, they show issue # 6 (Gilligan's Island) as coming out

Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of CordeliaChase_Fan
posted Hide Post
Diamond almost never has the right covers up for any magazine. I checked our stock today and we are sold out of the G.I. covered issue.

Val

Posts: 1314 | Location: Rego Park, NY | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Not having seen a Previews lately, I am not positive but Diamond is likely using covers that are a couple of issues old. There was a time when we supplied them with images of our upcoming covers -- either a mocked-up early edition or at least something with the property we would be featuring that issue -- but we have stopped doing that. Diamond has a three or four month lead time and it's just too difficult to pin down covers that far in advance. We've started supplying them with the cover that is most up-to-date at the time we submit our information for them to include in Previews.

Posts: 12995 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
As I await the last issue of the year, I just want to say I enjoyed the Gilligan's Island issue. I watched the episodes many times over as a kid after it went into syndication in the early 70's though never got into the cards. Jim Backus' autobiography was released a couple of months before I quit work at a bookstore. I saw Russell Johnson signing at a collectibles show in Hayward, CA in the late 90's. He wandered the hall on his breaks and seemed interested in some of the stuff for sale.

I was surprised to read that a trading card set for the TV show "The Persuaders" was in production. I've never seen it - just heard about it earlier this year. However, even though it ran only for one season (24 episodes), it does have a bit of a following in that a lot of people still remember it fondly. I was thinking about picking up the DVD set.

Of course, I liked the Promo Column. I hadn't heard of the cards highlighted early in the article - more stuff to keep an eye out for.

Jess

Posts: 4378 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
As I await the last issue of the year, I just want to say I enjoyed the Gilligan's Island issue. I watched the episodes many times over as a kid after it went into syndication in the early 70's though never got into the cards. Jim Backus' autobiography was released a couple of months before I quit work at a bookstore. I saw Russell Johnson signing at a collectibles show in Hayward, CA in the late 90's. He wandered the hall on his breaks and seemed interested in some of the stuff for sale.

I was surprised to read that a trading card set for the TV show "The Persuaders" was in production. I've never seen it - just heard about it earlier this year. However, even though it ran only for one season (24 episodes), it does have a bit of a following in that a lot of people still remember it fondly. I was thinking about picking up the DVD set.

Of course, I liked the Promo Column. I hadn't heard of the cards highlighted early in the article - more stuff to keep an eye out for.

Jess

Thanks Jess!

Gold Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
The local comic store finally got it in on November 22

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
The local comic store finally got it in on November 22

Wow! Eek
Some collectors have already received the next issue.

Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
quote:

It was nice to read in the Dec 2017/Jan 2018 issue that the suggestion about expanding the Hot List will be incorporated in the first issue of 2018 Thumb Up
It's going to be broken down into 4 separate list: autographs, sketch cards/artists, overall products, and highlighted individual products.

Thanks for listening to feedback and suggestions NSU staff Metal

Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heroes For Hire:
quote:

It was nice to read in the Dec 2017/Jan 2018 issue that the suggestion about expanding the Hot List will be incorporated in the first issue of 2018 Thumb Up
It's going to be broken down into 4 separate list: autographs, sketch cards/artists, overall products, and highlighted individual products.

Thanks for listening to feedback and suggestions NSU staff Metal

That sounds like really positive news. Thumb Up

Posts: 10383 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post