Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Oct/Nov 2017 issue - Island Time
 Login/Join
 
Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted
Just noticed that the cast of Gilligan's Island is on the cover of the next issue since it popped up on the home page. When does that is hit the stands?
 
Posts: 438 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
Copies should be en route! (or should I say, have set sail?) Big Grin Razz
 
Posts: 12905 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NSU Writer
Picture of Don Norton
posted Hide Post
Got my copy today. They are comin'!
 
Posts: 2788 | Location: Crystal Lake, IL | Registered: December 04, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gold Card Talk Member
Picture of Scifi Cards
posted Hide Post
Received my order today. Will have these at the Chicago Show!

Ed

____________________
www.nonsportcardshows.com Home of the Chicago Non-Sport Card Show

Trading Page Now Online: http://www.scifi.cards/trading.html

Collecting Sketches of the Character Crystal

 
Posts: 4563 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: March 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Received today, with 3 promos included. Smile
 
Posts: 7232 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
There is a new feature in the in the Oct/Nov issue called the Hot List. Its one page with photos of 20 cards with prices. All cards are from 2017 products and are over $100. Not surprisingly almost all are autographed cards, with a couple of wardrobe cards and two groups of sketches.

I like it. Showing current hot cards is something that has always been done with sports cards. Now here's my questions since I can agree with some of these cards, but would not have chosen others or can think of some better choices . . .

On what basis are these particular cards chosen and who picks them?

Would a hot card always have to be a recent release, as these are, or can an older card with increased activity be recognized as being hot too?

Should multiple cards from the same product be picked, as they are here for Gotham, Orphan Black, Game of Thrones, Spider-Man Homecoming, James Bond Final and Outlander or should it be restricted to one per product to spread it around?

Is it fair to include an entire grope like Marvel Premiere sketches and Star Wars 40th Anniversary sketches, as that may be a hot product or hot segment, but it is not a hot individual card?

Interested in hearing your thoughts.
 
Posts: 7232 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
I haven't been able to pick up the new issue yet Frown
The anticipation of this of seeing this new Hot List Dance

Just taking a guesss here, but from the short (5 to 10 cards) Non-Sport Hot List that has been in the Beckett Sports Card Month over the years, it seems to trends with new releases. But there will be times when an older card "heats up" and will make the list because of a new movie release or something else that makes the news. I'd go back to look at some back issues to give some example though.
 
Posts: 438 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I received my copy here in the UK this morning.

____________________
 
Posts: 1470 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of Elaine Perna
posted Hide Post
I received my issue today. Big Grin
 
Posts: 1977 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
On what basis are these particular cards chosen and who picks them?

Would a hot card always have to be a recent release, as these are, or can an older card with increased activity be recognized as being hot too?

Interested in hearing your thoughts.


To me, a Hot List for Non-Sport cards would differ somewhat in how it's constructed versus a sports cards Hot List because of the lack of emphasis on Rookie Cards (RC). Not having the RC to chase leaves the "movers" of the hobby to mainly auto, material, and sketch cards along with maybe a few other insert cards. The lists are probably complied in some part by the price guide analysts, writers, and editors. Maybe the could take input from
collectors, too. Then it would be a little like All-Star Game voting Thumb Up

For the most part, "hot" cards are probably going to be from the latest releases basically because they new and what collectors are picking up. But I looked in the September 2017 issue of the Beckett Sports Card Monthly and at Number 3 of the 5 Non-Sport cards listed was the 2002 Outer Limits auto card of Adam West. It's unfortunate that Adam West's passing in June was the cause of the increased awareness and activity on his cards. Other "older" cards that most likely to increase in popularity would be of auto cards of actors before they get auto cards in their starring roles such as the 2009 Star Trek Movie Chris Hemsworth and 2002 Alias Bradley Cooper auto cards.
 
Posts: 438 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Is not possible that the Hot list would also include the only signed auto as well as rookie auto cards.

regards

John

____________________
 
Posts: 1470 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post



Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
As of Saturday (Oct 7), it still hasn't appeared in local Barnes and Noble stores (San Jose, San Mateo). They still had the Buffy issue. I think this is the longest it has been overdue but am thinking that it will arrive this week.
 
Posts: 882 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
As of Saturday (Oct 7), it still hasn't appeared in local Barnes and Noble stores (San Jose, San Mateo). They still had the Buffy issue. I think this is the longest it has been overdue but am thinking that it will arrive this week.


On Sunday, a B&N worker told me to try Tuesday or Thursday
 
Posts: 438 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Yes, copies were at Barnes & Noble Monday or Tuesday. I bought one today.


quote:
Originally posted by Heroes For Hire:
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
As of Saturday (Oct 7), it still hasn't appeared in local Barnes and Noble stores (San Jose, San Mateo). They still had the Buffy issue. I think this is the longest it has been overdue but am thinking that it will arrive this week.


On Sunday, a B&N worker told me to try Tuesday or Thursday
 
Posts: 882 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
My local comic shop sold out on Wednesday.
I usually stop at one of 3 different B&N through out the week when driving home from work. I didn't see find any on Thursday or Friday. Finally found it today. I guess I should have tried this last B&N on Thursday first. Confused

I like the inclusion of "The Hot List" in this issue. I hope that it stays as a fixture I. The magazine for the foreseeable future.
 
Posts: 438 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
There is a new feature in the in the Oct/Nov issue called the Hot List. Its one page with photos of 20 cards with prices. All cards are from 2017 products and are over $100. Not surprisingly almost all are autographed cards, with a couple of wardrobe cards and two groups of sketches.

I like it. Showing current hot cards is something that has always been done with sports cards. Now here's my questions since I can agree with some of these cards, but would not have chosen others or can think of some better choices . . .

On what basis are these particular cards chosen and who picks them?

Would a hot card always have to be a recent release, as these are, or can an older card with increased activity be recognized as being hot too?

Should multiple cards from the same product be picked, as they are here for Gotham, Orphan Black, Game of Thrones, Spider-Man Homecoming, James Bond Final and Outlander or should it be restricted to one per product to spread it around?

Is it fair to include an entire grope like Marvel Premiere sketches and Star Wars 40th Anniversary sketches, as that may be a hot product or hot segment, but it is not a hot individual card?

Interested in hearing your thoughts.


In an effort to see a little more variety, maybe the 20-card The Hot List could be broken down into different categories. Perhaps a Top 10 for autographs, Top 5 for relics, and then a Top 5 for sketch cards. Another category that could be rotated in for inserts/base cards, too.

Doing this would limit the amount of autograph cards dominating the majority list. Relics and sketch cards would have more representation. Cards like autographed relic cards would fall in the relic category so I guess that would be a loophole about the amount of auto being listed, but there still would be more relics shown regardless. Sketch cards would then expanded out of a generalization mention to actually naming a few artists to be aware of. Let's face it, there no real chase for modern regular base cards unless it's a short print but you never know so combining base with inserts would a catch all for even collectibles like DC Bombshells Golden Goddess figures.
 
Posts: 438 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
Maybe I should think about getting a subscription again instead of of supporting my local stores so I get a copy a couple of weeks earlier.
Then I can engage in the threads better informed about the latest issue. Thumb Up
 
Posts: 438 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
Picture of H_Toser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heroes For Hire:
I like the inclusion of "The Hot List" in this issue. I hope that it stays as a fixture I. The magazine for the foreseeable future.


We do plan to include it for the foreseeable future. Also, whatever you decide to do -- subscribe or purchase at Barnes & Noble -- we appreciate you continuing to support the magazine!
 
Posts: 12905 | Location: Harrisburg, PA, USA | Registered: November 29, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heroes For Hire:
Maybe I should think about getting a subscription again instead of of supporting my local stores so I get a copy a couple of weeks earlier.
Then I can engage in the threads better informed about the latest issue. Thumb Up


I was going to suggest that it would be easier to just get a subscription to NSU than run all over town to try and find it every issue. But that sounded like a smart-a$$ answer. Big Grin
 
Posts: 7232 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
quote:
Originally posted by Heroes For Hire:
Maybe I should think about getting a subscription again instead of of supporting my local stores so I get a copy a couple of weeks earlier.
Then I can engage in the threads better informed about the latest issue. Thumb Up


I was going to suggest that it would be easier to just get a subscription to NSU than run all over town to try and find it every issue. But that sounded like a smart-a$$ answer. Big Grin


Haha! It's actually a "constructive" answer. I usually make those stops anyway within the month for other stuff, but when it's around the release date of the NSU then I tend to make the stops little more clustered closer together. Now that I have the new NSU, I probably won't stop at B&N for a few weeks, but the stop to comic shop will still have a weekly schedule. Haha
 
Posts: 438 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 


© Non-Sport Update 2013