Non-Sport Update's Card Talk
April/May 2022 Out

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/656602453/m/8167002896

March 08, 2022, 01:59 PM
Raven
April/May 2022 Out
So I never did receive the last issue and NSU's main page hasn't even put up the April/May cover yet, bit darn if it didn't just show up today.

Doctor Who is on the cover and I got one promo for Ultraman Series Two. Something to read now. Smile
March 08, 2022, 02:31 PM
wolfie
Dr Who on the cover but no Dr Who promo inside, bit of a missed opportunity there.

March 08, 2022, 02:33 PM
Raven
I thought the same thing, but happy just to get it. Big Grin
March 08, 2022, 03:41 PM
catskilleagle
Interesting. It's arriving even earlier than the last issue and about a month faster than it had been the past few years. Maybe NSU has reset its schedule.

If it weren't for RRParks, many issues wouldn't have a promo at all.

quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
So I never did receive the last issue and NSU's main page hasn't even put up the April/May cover yet, bit darn if it didn't just show up today.

Doctor Who is on the cover and I got one promo for Ultraman Series Two. Something to read now. Smile

March 08, 2022, 07:22 PM
Heroes For Hire
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
If it weren't for RRParks, many issues wouldn't have a promo at all.

I wonder if Upper Deck will do a promo code in an issue of NSU for something on their ePacks platform one day.
March 09, 2022, 08:16 PM
andynova
I too got my subscription copy in the mail today. What a nice surprise. I initially thought it was the original previous issue which was never delivered. But it wasn’t.

I loved the top ten sets of 1992 article. What a trip down memory lane.

And I noticed something funny on the included subscription offer postcard. It says to “Subscribe now and SAVE upto 44%” and that this is an “Exclusive Holiday Offer”. Ummm, what holiday are they referring to?!? Hey great, I’d better re-subscribe now before the holiday ends. Wink

Anyways, Thank you NSU. I love your magazine.

March 09, 2022, 09:45 PM
webjon
quote:
Originally posted by Heroes For Hire:
I wonder if Upper Deck will do a promo code in an issue of NSU for something on their ePacks platform one day.

It would be cool, but it seems like UD isn't even running sales on ePack anymore -- a sale every couple of months used to be practically a given. I can't even remember the last time I saw one. . . and lots of stuff just keeps selling out.

If they were to do a promo code it would make the most sense, I think on their e-sports line. . . but I doubt that would move the needle much in NSU.
March 10, 2022, 06:48 AM
hammer
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
Dr Who on the cover but no Dr Who promo inside, bit of a missed opportunity there.

Obviously Rittenhouse didn't want to/couldn't supply one

My copy arrived today too Bouncey
March 10, 2022, 06:57 AM
JOHN LEVITT
My copy arrived 5 minutes ago.
regards

John

March 11, 2022, 12:22 PM
Heroes For Hire
quote:
Originally posted by webjon:
quote:
Originally posted by Heroes For Hire:

It would be cool, but it seems like UD isn't even running sales on ePack anymore -- a sale every couple of months used to be practically a given. I can't even remember the last time I saw one. . . and lots of stuff just keeps selling out.

If they were to do a promo code it would make the most sense, I think on their e-sports line. . . but I doubt that would move the needle much in NSU.

I noticed that 2017 Grandeur Hockey Coins had a 50% sale today, but if packs are selling then there little need for Upper Deck to put them on sale like they used to.

If there was a promo code for some exclusive promos by UD to the NSU magazine then that might get a few more to sign up for ePacks and purchase the magazine off the news rack. Of course, then there’s that pesky shipping cost to get the card Roll Eyes
But might be worth it if it was for a PMG Thumb Up
March 22, 2022, 11:15 PM
Heroes For Hire
Stopped by B&N and no new issue yet Frown
March 31, 2022, 04:46 PM
catskilleagle
I stopped at a Barnes & Noble yesterday and picked up a copy. I don't know how long it had been on the shelf.

Would most collectors really put the "Saved by the Bell" in the Top 10 sets of 1992? I guess I would if there were only 10 sets released that year. The Avengers (Cornerstone) and Dinocardz were nice sets - not on the list. And yet, there's "Saved by the Bell."
March 31, 2022, 05:08 PM
Raven
I find a lot of these Top 10 lists are just subjective to the person compiling the list. Same thing might be said of the Hot List. An expensive card is not necessarily Hot.

Can any support for choosing any of the 1992 top non-sport sets be provided or is it just what somebody liked? Are we talking about current demand or demand at the time or is demand not necessary?

I don't think it matters. It's just an article on some cards that certain collectors may never even have seen and that's fine. Out of those 10 sets mentioned, the only one I had, and still have somewhere, is "Batman Returns".

I found the inclusion of TOPPS "In Living Color" to be informative though. Why haven't we heard more about those Jim Carrey and Jennifer Lopez cards? Are they not their "Rookies?" Big Grin Razz
March 31, 2022, 08:38 PM
Ted Dastick Jr.
quote:
I found the inclusion of TOPPS "In Living Color" to be informative though. Why haven't we heard more about those Jim Carrey and Jennifer Lopez cards? Are they not their "Rookies?" Big Grin Razz

Ssshhhhh.... I'm stocking up!
March 31, 2022, 11:16 PM
Ryan Cracknell
quote:
I stopped at a Barnes & Noble yesterday and picked up a copy. I don't know how long it had been on the shelf.

Would most collectors really put the "Saved by the Bell" in the Top 10 sets of 1992? I guess I would if there were only 10 sets released that year. The Avengers (Cornerstone) and Dinocardz were nice sets - not on the list. And yet, there's "Saved by the Bell."

This is the criteria I guided myself with, which is noted in the piece, "Here’s a look back at ten trading card sets released in 1992 that are still popular today or relevant to the hobby in other ways."

Saved by the Bell fits both. First, the show remains one of the most famous and talked about from that time. Hobby wise, the set actually carries strong values. It's not altogether common and it's the lone set for the most popular version of the show. The stars have also been in celebrity sets in recent years and move nice, which further shows their relevance.

I honestly can't remember the last time I heard a mention of DinoCardz. They might be more attractive a set, but by the criteria I was going with, it doesn't fit.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook
March 31, 2022, 11:21 PM
Ryan Cracknell
quote:

Can any support for choosing any of the 1992 top non-sport sets be provided or is it just what somebody liked? Are we talking about current demand or demand at the time or is demand not necessary?

If it was a list of simply my favorite sets, it would have been titled "Ryan's 10 Favorite Sets of 1992". There is an explanation of how I thought things through at the start. There's no scientific formula but there's actually a lot of thought behind it. Not that it matters but I'm actually not personally a fan of some of them I included as they're not properties that interest me. At the same time, one can still recognize their importance and impact.

Find me on:
Twitter
Facebook
April 01, 2022, 12:13 AM
Heroes For Hire
quote:

Forgot to post that my Local Comic Shop received their copy yesterday. B&N didn’t have it when I stopped by last week.
April 01, 2022, 11:15 AM
Raven
quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Cracknell:
quote:

If it was a list of simply my favorite sets, it would have been titled "Ryan's 10 Favorite Sets of 1992". There is an explanation of how I thought things through at the start. There's no scientific formula but there's actually a lot of thought behind it. Not that it matters but I'm actually not personally a fan of some of them I included as they're not properties that interest me. At the same time, one can still recognize their importance and impact.

I think its pretty hard to find 10 impactful non-sports cards in any given year. Like many things, card makers tend to copy one another when it comes to their products. Once a new idea is introduced, the first thing copiers do is make more of it in their products.

Once autograph cards were introduced as long-odds hits in boxes, the next guy made one per box. Then the next guy went to two per box. Then someone did one in every pack and so on. Once costume cards were rare, then they became bargain box fodder in no time. The production methods changed with technology and the card stock got thicker and better. Once limited cards became the thing, with 1/1s and short prints, it became how small they could go.

Also, remember that a lot of these ideas were borrowed from sports cards, which I always felt were running about 5 - 10 years ahead of the non-sport market in terms of both good and bad threads. The only hit type that I feel really started and belonged to non-sport cards are the artist sketches.

But it's really hard for me to compare cards of the early 90's to what is being made today because cards in the last 20 years have just gotten so much better in quality and in the hit value. The Marvel and DC cards may have gone crazy recently for reasons I don't subscribe to, but the vast majority of 90's non-sport base card sets are sold for less than $20. Even the tough to find ones.

I'm not sure if NSU ever did an article or top 10 list of non-sport card that ushered in the new treads that we regard as essential to card sets now. I think the timeframe would be over several years, probably in the early to late 2000's and you would see names like Inkworks, Breygent, Press Pass, Cryptozoic, Upper Deck and of course Topps.

It would be less about specific titles and more about how card collectors started to want more than a nice base set because the unexpected hits became expected. It would lay the groundwork for how we got from buying $1 card packs to $300 boxes. You might need a multipart series to do it justice, but a Top 10 List could be a start. Smile
April 01, 2022, 02:11 PM
catskilleagle
I was making more of a joke about "Saved by the Bell" than criticizing the choices/ranking of the list. I think I actually suggested looking back at 90's sets year-by-year some time ago.

I did read that the Saved by the Bell set is hard to put together now.

Marvel Masterpieces is certainly the biggest set of the year. It was huge then and it continued years later and it's huge now.

quote:
Originally posted by Ryan Cracknell:
quote:

This is the criteria I guided myself with, which is noted in the piece, "Here’s a look back at ten trading card sets released in 1992 that are still popular today or relevant to the hobby in other ways."

Saved by the Bell fits both. First, the show remains one of the most famous and talked about from that time. Hobby wise, the set actually carries strong values. It's not altogether common and it's the lone set for the most popular version of the show. The stars have also been in celebrity sets in recent years and move nice, which further shows their relevance.

I honestly can't remember the last time I heard a mention of DinoCardz. They might be more attractive a set, but by the criteria I was going with, it doesn't fit.

April 07, 2022, 02:17 AM
catskilleagle
I forgot to mention that the insert is a cool-looking promo.