Non-Sport Update's Card Talk NSU Home | NSU Store | In The Current Issue... | Contact Us |
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
OCT/NOV USA...Uggh!!!
 Login/Join
 
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I would rather have a smaller font size with more listings. I think the hi-lo columns waste space. You could simply hyphenate the range (e.g. $5-10) or just note that there is a +/- assumption though I think it's understood that the values are ballparks. For example, a promo card that has sold for $2-3 is also often in someone else's 50 cent box.

I would also expect for promos or whatever cards are considered to part of a master set to be listed. Some sets have so many autographs and costume/relic/sketch cards that "common" chase could be grouped together with a range. In-demand/hot selling chase cards would be listed individually especially if there is a price change. The guide also needs to list any hot promos or product premiums. With no recent Promo Card Encyclopedia to consult, it would be great to have some reference for older cards getting some action as well as the latest show giveaways (maybe even have a special promo price guide after a show like the San Diego Comic Con and at least one of the Philly shows.

Was ownership of the Promo Card Encyclopedia also transferred to Beckett? Is a new edition being discussed? It was last updated for 2008 though I think the most recent entries go up to sometime in 2007.

Thanks,

Jess


quote:
Originally posted by BeckettBible24:
Hey everyone! I definitely appreciate the feedback on not only the promo card issue but also the format of the price guide. I'd definitely like to hear more. Which sets should be an ironclad staple in the magazine? Which sets would you prefer be left out? Would you like the font size to stay the same with fewer listings. Or, would you prefer smaller font and more listings? Would you like to see photos included in the price guide? Please, leave a comment here or email me at nonsports@beckett.com.
 
Posts: 852 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
To be honest, the latest version of the Price Guide (In my Opinion) is a waste of time. Any sets that are current or have had a set released in last 12/24 months should have all sets listed i.e. Dexter, we don't need the subsets broken down the way they are - just included in the set as before - Promo's MUST be included as part of any set. Star Trek, Star Wars, Bond should have all sets - probably iconic sets such as Buffy & Harry Potter should be included. Whilst the font size is good we are losing too many sets to make it worthwhile. Bill put a lot of work into the guide over the years and it seems it has all been thrown away.
 
Posts: 11638 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
Bill put a lot of work into the guide over the years and it seems it has all been thrown away.


As I was going through the listings and saw what was in and was out, I thought the very same thing. Shake Head
 
Posts: 7163 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
Picture of steve j
posted Hide Post
To me, I don't need the same cards in each issue, I would prefer if the price guide was split into 6 different mini price guides updating on a yearly basis. Each price guide dedicated to either manufacturers or alphabetical. All sets must have promos in the list. It's my idea and not necessary the view of others. I like the point that Beckett are looking for opinions.
 
Posts: 1753 | Location: Wales, UK | Registered: June 10, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Obi Wan Chrisobi
posted Hide Post
I'm in the minority here, but I couldn't care less about a price guide being in the magazine. When I do pick it up, which is admittedly not as often as I used to, I do so for the articles and columns. I skip right over the price listings as I don't care about the value of my cards beyond what they mean to me. Just my two cents Wink

____________________
"These aren't the cards you're looking for...."
 
Posts: 425 | Location: Canada | Registered: August 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
You're thinking of just one use for the guide and maybe not the main one for most collectors. My primary use for it was to learn the value of cards I was thinking about getting. If I was at a show and was interested in three different promos and had enough money for just two of them, it helped to know what Bill considered the best deal. I used to bring the latest NSU and PCE when I went to a collectibles show (or I'd get the latest NSU at the show).



quote:
Originally posted by Obi Wan Chrisobi:
I'm in the minority here, but I couldn't care less about a price guide being in the magazine. When I do pick it up, which is admittedly not as often as I used to, I do so for the articles and columns. I skip right over the price listings as I don't care about the value of my cards beyond what they mean to me. Just my two cents Wink
 
Posts: 852 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bronze Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
I have tried not to be negative but I have to agree.

After going back through some of the older threads, I saw a lot of people talking about the "Charmed" sets. I didn't watch the show nor collect the cards (I do have some of the promos) but those sets would seem to be worth bringing back or at least worth researching to see if the cards are still actively-selling, and if so, what they are selling for.

You get an extra style point for using "whilst."



quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
To be honest, the latest version of the Price Guide (In my Opinion) is a waste of time. Any sets that are current or have had a set released in last 12/24 months should have all sets listed i.e. Dexter, we don't need the subsets broken down the way they are - just included in the set as before - Promo's MUST be included as part of any set. Star Trek, Star Wars, Bond should have all sets - probably iconic sets such as Buffy & Harry Potter should be included. Whilst the font size is good we are losing too many sets to make it worthwhile. Bill put a lot of work into the guide over the years and it seems it has all been thrown away.
 
Posts: 852 | Location: San Jose, CA, USA | Registered: December 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve j:
To me, I don't need the same cards in each issue, I would prefer if the price guide was split into 6 different mini price guides updating on a yearly basis. Each price guide dedicated to either manufacturers or alphabetical. All sets must have promos in the list. It's my idea and not necessary the view of others. I like the point that Beckett are looking for opinions.


I would certainly be happy (as I have said before) to have A-M one issue & N-Z the next issue (or however it works out).
 
Posts: 11638 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
How does the pre Beckett NSU price guide compare to the Beckett price guides in terms of listing of cards etc. do they include promos, some or all chase cards as I cannot see a "free" price guide differing that much in style from the commercial product.

Personally I only ever used the guides for the listing of cards in a set in conjunction with Allender's list of course.

____________________
 
Posts: 1466 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JOHN LEVITT:
How does the pre Beckett NSU price guide compare to the Beckett price guides in terms of listing of cards etc. do they include promos, some or all chase cards as I cannot see a "free" price guide differing that much in style from the commercial product.

Personally I only ever used the guides for the listing of cards in a set in conjunction with Allender's list of course.


The Beckett price guide in the current NSU looks similar to the one that Matt Bible posted in this thread for free Star Trek price guide ...

http://nonsportupdate.infopop....4605353/m/5857070486


http://www.beckett.com/news/fr...-figure-price-guide/

https://beckett-www.s3.amazona...ersary_low_res_1.pdf
 
Posts: 436 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Silver Card Talk Member
posted Hide Post
Heroes for Hire

Thank you for the link.

____________________
 
Posts: 1466 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: October 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post



Member
Picture of Heroes For Hire
posted Hide Post
It was funny to stumble upon a post from 2012 with the same missing sets topic.

http://nonsportupdate.infopop....4605353/m/8767080126

It seems like this topic is always gonna be there around when dealing with the page constraints of a magazine.
 
Posts: 436 | Location: Long Beach, CA | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Platinum Card Talk Member
Picture of Raven
posted Hide Post
Yeah, deja vu all over again. Big Grin

While we were complaining back in 2012, little did we know that we had it good. Wink
 
Posts: 7163 | Location: New York | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diamond Card Talk Member
Picture of hammer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
Yeah, deja vu all over again. Big Grin

While we were complaining back in 2012, little did we know that we had it good. Wink


In the words of Me and You - "You never know what you've got till it's gone" Big Grin
 
Posts: 11638 | Location: England | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2 3 4  
 


© Non-Sport Update 2013