Non-Sport Update Wants Your Input

This topic can be found at:
https://nonsportupdate.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/656602453/m/7677025286

June 13, 2017, 10:18 AM
wolfie
Non-Sport Update Wants Your Input
quote:
Originally posted by Heroes For Hire:

10) If you were the editor of NSU, what changes/improvements would you make?

well i'd change the editor for a start. Big Grin

June 13, 2017, 04:37 PM
weasel-king
Yeah, I noticed the survey, too, and wondered what sort of changes were in the works (knowing I just resubbed after a lapsed subscription).

If it were all up to me, I would prefer a hybrid approach. I'm a bit old-school, so I would want a print magazine. But move the pricing online. I imagine the backend is in a database anyway--maybe on Beckett's servers, maybe not. Keep the price the same but still allow access to the pricing with an active sub.
June 15, 2017, 09:17 AM
A_Biegel
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:

well i'd change the editor for a start.

Big Grin

Not me! I like him just fine
June 15, 2017, 02:03 PM
hammer
The day the editor is changed is the day I stop my subscription
July 14, 2017, 07:51 PM
Heroes For Hire
quote:
Originally posted by wolfie:
quote:

well i'd change the editor for a start. Big Grin

That was pretty funny Thumb Up
July 19, 2017, 02:58 AM
hammer
If Beckett were serious about their overseas subscribers they would have allowed submissions by e-mail/on-line to cut down the cost of postage.
July 19, 2017, 09:53 PM
Heroes For Hire
quote:
Originally posted by hammer:
If Beckett were serious about their overseas subscribers they would have allowed submissions by e-mail/on-line to cut down the cost of postage.

Yeah, I didn't care for having to use a stamp to send it off to Beckett either. Although it is cheaper than sending it from overseas so I'm grateful for that.

Perhaps there should have been another level of prize for those that prefer to email? Maybe a free month of the online price guide or something that can be claimed online Smile

The survey said to send in care of Bill Dumas (bdumas@beckett.com). I found his email on Page 2 of the issue in the "Our Staff" area. Maybe try emailing, it can't hurt to give input.
July 19, 2017, 11:44 PM
catskilleagle
There wasn't a lot of space on the survey page for comments especially if you wanted to go into detail or add a thought. One thing NSU could do or go back to doing is send reps around the country to set up a table at various collectibles shows. I met Roxanne in the late 90's at either San Diego Comic-Con or the time the Tosers co-promoted a non-sports show with Keith Dennis in San Jose, California. The magazine might consider going to monster movie, music memorabilia, book fairs, or model kit conventions and make sure the issue at those times caters to the particular event (cover story on related cards with an exclusive card promoting the event). I know NSU goes to the UK for a show. Maybe it's time to try a few different shows in the Southeast, Midwest and out West.
July 20, 2017, 02:20 AM
hammer
quote:
Originally posted by catskilleagle:
There wasn't a lot of space on the survey page for comments especially if you wanted to go into detail or add a thought. One thing NSU could do or go back to doing is send reps around the country to set up a table at various collectibles shows. I met Roxanne in the late 90's at either San Diego Comic-Con or the time the Tosers co-promoted a non-sports show with Keith Dennis in San Jose, California. The magazine might consider going to monster movie, music memorabilia, book fairs, or model kit conventions and make sure the issue at those times caters to the particular event (cover story on related cards with an exclusive card promoting the event). I know NSU goes to the UK for a show. Maybe it's time to try a few different shows in the Southeast, Midwest and out West.

Becket are not coming to UK this year - perhaps that is another indication of the commitment the new owners have no non US subscribers
July 20, 2017, 12:28 PM
Heroes For Hire
quote:
I know NSU goes to the UK for a show. Maybe it's time to try a few different shows in the Southeast, Midwest and out West.

Pretty sure Beckett sets up at big shows, but how many big card centric shows are there west of St. Louis these days? The National doesn't even come to California anymore. But there lots of comic cons out this way though. Since 2016, I remember hearing that Beckett going to Toronto for a hockey show, Las Vegas for a retailers summit, and Anaheim for a coin show. Maybe they should set up at San Diego Comic Con to help expand their brand to an even wider audience.
July 20, 2017, 06:08 PM
catskilleagle
Yeah, I assume Beckett has been doing sports card shows. It might not do that many to save money, but with the NSU property now part of their business, the company needs to be face-to-face with collectors at events it's probably not have been before.

Yeah, I went to the National when it was in Anaheim sometime in the 90's and have noticed it hasn't been out west in years. I would try to go if it did.

NSU used to set up at San Diego but I'm sure booth fees started skyrocketing in the early 2000's so it wasn't worth whatever sales boost they got. Yeah, a retailer's summit and a coin show is the kind of thing to set up at, but for non-sports cards, shows that are more entertainment-related (wherever Star Wars, Star Trek, Godzilla, Super Mario, or even Magic the Gathering stuff is going to be for sale) are better places to go. Try going to other Comic-Cons or the smaller cons. I keep hearing about the Emerald City show. NSU should check that out.

quote:
quote:
I know NSU goes to the UK for a show. Maybe it's time to try a few different shows in the Southeast, Midwest and out West.

Pretty sure Beckett sets up at big shows, but how many big card centric shows are there west of St. Louis these days? The National doesn't even come to California anymore. But there lots of comic cons out this way though. Since 2016, I remember hearing that Beckett going to Toronto for a hockey show, Las Vegas for a retailers summit, and Anaheim for a coin show. Maybe they should set up at San Diego Comic Con to help expand their brand to an even wider audience.

July 22, 2017, 12:40 AM
Heroes For Hire
quote:
Becket are not coming to UK this year - perhaps that is another indication of the commitment the new owners have no non US subscribers

Attempting to read between the lines of the survey, it seems to me that Beckett probably would like more digital subscriptions. So maybe it's not necessarily a lack of commitment to non-US subscribers, but an attempt to make a shift on how to deliver NSU's content to subscribers in general.
July 22, 2017, 08:45 AM
Raven
quote:
quote:

Attempting to read between the lines of the survey, it seems to me that Beckett probably would like more digital subscriptions. So maybe it's not necessarily a lack of commitment to non-US subscribers, but an attempt to make a shift on how to deliver NSU's content to subscribers in general.

I have noticed that the solicitations for new NSU subscribers include an offer for a limited number of free digital downloads for the same issues. As a current subscriber I am waiting for Beckett to start offering free digital copies to all subscribers.

This is of course in line with many other mags that have gone digital, but with card collectors in particular, I think its a bad idea that will reduce readership dramatically.

Card collectors want to own physical items. Many have other hobbies where owning things is the main attraction.

Promo cards are in NSU. Many subscribers think the free promo cards are the #1 or #2 reason to buy NSU. That was also a question in the survey. Try getting a promo card in a digital copy.

You don't need a supplemental price guide in hand if you have a digital subscription, but try putting that into a backpack.

So yes, it is an attempt to shift content, and if most readers will accept that, all power to them. I am already on record and I did send in the survey. I collect tangible things.
July 22, 2017, 03:52 PM
Heroes For Hire
quote:
Originally posted by Raven:
This is of course in line with many other mags that have gone digital, but with card collectors in particular, I think its a bad idea that will reduce readership dramatically.

I tried the digital version of one of the versions of the Beckett sports price guides for about 6 months and it was cool to be able to access it through my tablet and smartphone. The zooming ability was good to help me see the smaller print of the price guides, but I prefer still having the physical magazine in my hands.

quote:
Card collectors want to own physical items. Many have other hobbies where owning things is the main attraction.

I agree with this. But cards companies like Topps and Panini have been increasing the digital preference. Perhaps there is a younger segment of younger collectors might be embracing digital. Also, I talked to a comic book collector that told me that he just buys digital comics for his new books nowadays because it saves him space.

quote:
Promo cards are in NSU. Many subscribers think the free promo cards are the #1 or #2 reason to buy NSU. That was also a question in the survey. Try getting a promo card in a digital copy.

There are digital cards ... I even have some of Topps WWE digital cards, but since the NSU promos are from the card companies those promos would need to translate somehow to that particular company's digital platform. Maybe the few card companies left making non-sports card are considering producing less physical promos to save money. Exclusive digital promos, on the other hand, are probably more cost effective for the card companies and saves NSU the trouble of asking for them to send the cards for inclusion in the magazine. Not sure what would happen to those digital cards if a card company loses a license or closes up shop though.

quote:
You don't need a supplemental price guide in hand if you have a digital subscription, but try putting that into a backpack.

You don't even need a backpack when the price guide is on your phone. Of course, where are you going to put all the cards and boxes you buy without a backpack.

quote:
So yes, it is an attempt to shift content, and if most readers will accept that, all power to them. I am already on record and I did send in the survey. I collect tangible things.

I like having stuff to collect, too. Thumb Up
July 23, 2017, 01:00 PM
Heroes For Hire
quote:
Yeah, I assume Beckett has been doing sports card shows. It might not do that many to save money, but with the NSU property now part of their business, the company needs to be face-to-face with collectors at events it's probably not have been before.

Yeah, I went to the National when it was in Anaheim sometime in the 90's and have noticed it hasn't been out west in years. I would try to go if it did.

NSU used to set up at San Diego but I'm sure booth fees started skyrocketing in the early 2000's so it wasn't worth whatever sales boost they got. Yeah, a retailer's summit and a coin show is the kind of thing to set up at, but for non-sports cards, shows that are more entertainment-related (wherever Star Wars, Star Trek, Godzilla, Super Mario, or even Magic the Gathering stuff is going to be for sale) are better places to go. Try going to other Comic-Cons or the smaller cons. I keep hearing about the Emerald City show. NSU should check that out.

I heard the Emerald City was a good one, also. Are there any good shows focus non-sport cards or traditionally have a nice selection of non-sport cards?

Maybe Beckett/NSU could sponsor a weekend non-sport show/con in Las Vegas Thumb Up That way Beckett/NSU could get the face-to-face interactions with collectors and retailers along with promoting their grading service, magazines, and online services.

From that non-sport show idea, maybe someone could pitch a collecting special to the History Channel since they do the "Pawn Stars" show in Las Vegas. Kinda of a mix between Antique Roadshow, American Pickers, Heroes of Cosplay, and Comic Book Men. That should be a winner, right? Metal
July 29, 2017, 11:32 AM
Heroes For Hire
The Survey Giveaway deadline is coming up in a few days ... August 1st.
Good luck everyone. Hopefully some folks here will win an Almanac Cool
August 27, 2017, 09:30 PM
Heroes For Hire
Anyone get notified about winning a Non-Sport Almanac yet?
(or just in general for more feedback?)

Rey & BB8 are on the cover ... looks pretty sweet!
Nice job BeckettBible24 on picking the cover subjects Thumb Up

https://instagram.com/p/BX4dXAgBz7a/
August 29, 2017, 12:21 AM
catskilleagle
I haven't heard about anyone winning. Maybe we won't until the next NSU issue.

quote:

August 31, 2017, 09:09 AM
BeckettBible24
quote:

It's an incredible cover. However, I only suggested a current Star Wars subject. It was our digital editor, Lindsey Jones, that completely knocked it out of the park. She did an amazing job as usual.
October 02, 2017, 04:36 PM
Raven
One thing I continue to notice in the Price Guide section is cards that are listed, but have blank spaces in the price columns. That includes the current Oct./Nov. 2017 issue.

You see it in various sets like Alien Anthology, several Doctor Who products, Star Wars Masterwork and High Tek, among others.

I get it if its a brand new product and you just want to list the signer to show they are in there, but most of them are 2016 products and older. Those listed cards should have had some verifiable pricing activity by now or maybe they are just not worth mentioning.

Either way, to use up lines without a price range given is just a waste of printing space that could be put to better use on cards that can be priced in MHO.